It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Palin Denies $150,000 Clothing Tab: YET McCain says she Needed the Clothe

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Palin Denies $150,000 Clothing Tab: YET McCain says she Needed the Clothes

www.chicagotribune.com

PITTSBURGH - Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin insisted in an interview with the Tribune on Thursday that she did not accept $150,000 worth of designer clothes from the Republican Party and "that is not who we are."

www.huffingtonpost.com...

The McCain campaign and RNC's pushback to revelations that they purchased $150,000 worth of clothing and accessories for Sarah Palin has been, primarily, that it was money well spent.
After all, the Alaska Governor's image has graced countless newspaper covers and been featured prominently on television newscasts. Politics, the argument goes, is a superficial business. "She needed clothes," said McCain.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.huffingtonpost.com

[edit on 24-10-2008 by grover]

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 08:57 AM
link   
They need to get their stories straight.

So what was wrong with the clothes she had that they had to take her to Neiman Marcus and other high end boutiques?

Perhaps she looked a little too middle class for Republican tastes?

Sad thing is after all that money, she still looks like she bought the stuff off the rack at wal-marts... and if that's the case... then why bother?

www.chicagotribune.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

also: www.huffingtonpost.com...

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 09:03 AM
link   
I don't have a problem with them spending their money on clothes, after all it's their money for the campaign and she should be well dressed.

But now she's saying she wasn't given the clothes and McCain says she was...?

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Why is this an issue? If she did buy that many clothes, who cares?

It's no different than Michelle Obama's outrageous room service bills is it?

These people are entitled to spend whatever they want.

This class envy stuff is getting old.

Let's talk issues.

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by nyk537

Its only an issue because it does not jive with the image that they are portraying her as.

Middle class hockey moms don't shop a neiman marcus.

Also consider this $150,000 breaks down to 10 years at a poverty level income and 5 years at $30,000 a year income... 3 years at a $50,000 a year income.

And she wants to portray herself as average? $10,000 for a handbag?

Besides that why bother? She has been a beauty pagent contestant, a news person and a governor... like she already doesn't have nice clothes?

Besides all things considered it was pretty damned foolish considering how cash strapped the McCain campaign is... well:

www.huffingtonpost.com...

But what has some GOP operatives shaking their heads is the missed opportunities that that $150K represents. Had the RNC forgone the clothing purchases, they could have put more mail in mailboxes, more boots on the ground, and more advertisements on air.

Indeed, a look at some ad buy statistics provided by a Democratic source shows that the RNC put more money down on Palin's attire than they and the McCain campaign have spent on a weeks-worth of advertising in half a dozen, potentially, swing states.

From October 13th through October 19th, the McCain campaign and the RNC spent a combined $125,000 on advertisements in New Hampshire, roughly $90,000 in West Virginia, and $86,000 in Maine. In each of those states, the Republican ticket is fighting Obama for a small but potentially significant number of electoral votes.

How smart is that?

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by nyk537
Why is this an issue? If she did buy that many clothes, who cares?

Blow me down, we agree on something!
Keep in mind that this was a choice of the RNC, with which Palin probably just went along, rather than her being a driving force. Maybe. Just speculation, that, as I have no information on the subject.

It's no different than Michelle Obama's outrageous room service bills is it?

It is different in that the clothes thing actually happened, while the "Michelle Obama room service" thing has been totally debunked, multiple times, and even retracted by the original publisher. That is a fairly substantial difference.

This class envy stuff is getting old.

Let's talk issues.

Again we agree (make a note!). There are PLENTY of reasons to oppose McCain/Palin.

The clothes issue by itself is nothing, to me at least. The aspect of it that is a problem is that it is one more incident, as grover states, of McCain/Palin being out of integrity.

The down-home 'hockey-mom' image she is trying to portray does not jive with her actual behavior, in multiple arenas. This is just one, and to me, not a terribly important one, compared to others.

I did find it funny that her clothing tab came to more than their current image-man "Joe the plumber" 's house is worth...

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 09:31 AM
link   
I wish people would see through the BS on this one. It's a freaking slap in the face to "hockey moms" everywhere!. Not to mention this is an issue because she says SHE DIDN'T ACCEPT THE CLOTHES! McCain says SHE DID! These two can't even get their stories straight.

As for Michelle Obama's room service bill, please grow up and stop talking total trash and lies. That news story was RETRACTED and found to be FALSE. What part of that don't you understand?

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 09:45 AM
link   
It is much more ethical to buy expensive clothing than cheap clothing. Everyone says...she should be like Michlle Obama and wear $150 dresses. Do you know why a dress is only $150? It is because of the near slave labor of the garment industry overseas...cheap clothes mean someone somewhere suffered so you could wear it.

Someone who is seeking high leadership in this land should be mindful of that and wear appropriate clothes that were made hopefully by American designers, by American workers. That does not come cheap.

The fashion industry is huge here in the US and what is wrong with supporting it? Purchasing expensive clothing is a great way to support great American talent. Even if the clothing is not made in the USA, by virtue of the store, Nieman Marcus(an american original out of Dallas), we know it is high quality, made by well paid garment workers and not sweat shop crap.

I can not afford to wear clothing like that, but I think the VP should if she can afford it.

[edit on 10/24/2008 by Missing Blue Sky]

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 09:46 AM
link   
When I first heard about the clothes I thought big deal but then I found out that it is illegal to spend taxpayers money (McCain's campaign is taxpayer funded, Obama refused federal money)on things like clothes. In fact McCain himself spoke in favor of making it illegal.

Again we see hypocrisy, flip-flop and double standards in the actions of these guys. How could you possibly believe anything they say? I just heard an ad this morning on Ohio radio claiming Obama is going to raise taxes on anyone making over $42,000 a year. I seriously believe that it should be illegal to lie in public elections.

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Is it any wonder the world watches US election insanity with sickened fascination ?

Even the words 'childish' and 'petty' fail to adequately describe the utter garbage that passes for 'news' regarding the US elections.

US 'sports politics' !

My team is gonna beat your team

Who CARES about the woman's clothing ?

I mean, who the hell cares ?

This stupid, self-absorbed nation with its idiotic 'presidential candidates and cronies' is responsible for plunging the entire globe into financial meltdown ... yet here are people nattering on like a bunch of old gossips about some woman's clothing !

And ALL so the numbnuts with nothing better to do than play 'sports politics' can gain points on their political rivals !

Do you have any IDEA how infantile it all is ?

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 09:57 AM
link   
This is the biggest non-story I've ever heard of. Who in the world cares about this woman's wardrobe? We've got very serious problems facing this country and the entire world at large and people are thinking about this? And the US mainstream media thinks this is an important issue to investigate? Pathetic. Excuse me while I go grab a barf bag.

Insanity. All around insanity!

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 09:59 AM
link   
seriously? i mean of all the things to be concerned with in a candidate? You leftist are just DIGGING on things to hit Palin with. And mind you im not republican OR democrat. I just find it amusing how much you guys are reaching, yet you blame the other party for doing so. Honestly give me and the rest of ATS a break, unless its something earth shaking dont even bother. You do you and your party a disservice.

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Who cares. Oh wait. some people do.

She was interviewed by Hannity and she said the clothing is NOT hers and they are being donated to CHARITY when this is all over with.

Also, she shops at consignment shops and other "cheapy" places in Anchorage. That is who she is.

They had to buy her a wardrobe to campaign in because she didn't have all the super nice clothing that other campaigners wear. If she had been wearing her 2nd hand store stuff then the world would be making fun of her for it calling her redneck trash. If she was wearing stuff from Walmart, the world would be screaming at the top of their lungs for her supporting the evil EVIL WALMART!!

DAMNED IF YOU DO, DAMNED IF YOU DONT.

I guarantee Lord Obama is NOT wearing suits from Walmart!!!! And neither his is wife!! And neither did Hitlary.

Seriously............if they want to spend money on that, then donate it all to charity when done GOOD FOR THEM.

At least they are not begging for MORE money from poor American when they have MILLIONS sitting in the bank only 2 weeks before election.

[edit on 10/24/2008 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Look,

She dressed like a hick up in Alaska and so did her First Dude. I can almost understand why she would need a new, expensive wardrobe. In order to appear center stage in front of the USA and the world, she needed to look more high maintenance.

As a woman, my first fear of being offered such a position would be "What the hell would i wear?????"

In all fairness, i would say this would have stood in the way of her accepting this position offer. I am not sure if using campaign money is a violation or not.

But i would say this is really the least of the problems at the moment.

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 10:04 AM
link   
The clothes are not her personal possession. She does not 'own' them.

They will be returned, donated and/or auctioned off after the campaign with all proceeds going to charity.

I think it's assinine that this is even a topic up for discussion.

The media has gone down the drain in the US.

Jemison

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

She dressed like a hick up in Alaska and so did her First Dude. I can almost understand why she would need a new, expensive wardrobe. In order to appear center stage in front of the USA and the world, she needed to look more high maintenance.

And see, my post above - my point has been made.

Damned if she does. Damned if she doesnt.
my previous quote:

If she had been wearing her 2nd hand store stuff then the world would be making fun of her for it calling her redneck trash. If she was wearing stuff from Walmart, the world would be screaming at the top of their lungs for her supporting the evil EVIL WALMART!!

And for the recored. Not sure what dressing like a "hick" is. I lived in Alaska, I saw her and her husband in person. And they dressed just like they do down here in Colorado and probably right there in Cape Cod.

THAT is an insult to the people who live in Alaska.

[edit on 10/24/2008 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 10:08 AM
link   
When Joe Biden was asked on CNN who bought his clothes he replied... I do.

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

SHE did NOT have the proper clothing. Period. Neither did Hillary when SHE dressed as a hick in Arkansas.
Now, you may say i am calling Southeners "hicks"- YES. The meaning between the lines is really this;
OFF THE RACK clothing= HICK.

That qualifies me as a hick also, however i am not appearing in front of the world either.

Whats your problem.

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Breaking News, MSNBC: The Salvation army from Alaska called. They would be happy to take the clothes off Sarah Palins hands.

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 10:48 AM
link   
The left's fascination with Palin never ceases to amaze me, I think they still see her as their only genuine threat.

The last time there was an anti-conservative reaction like the one we are seeing with her, was when Scharzenneger ran for California governor, and the liberals were right to attack him, because in the end he beat them.

It's almost as if the libs are angry that the Republicans chose an attractive, younger family woman to represent them, I think they perceive that as muscling in on their turf.

So the best mud slinging they can come up with now is that Palin purchased too many dresses, sounds like desperation to me

<<   2  3 >>

join