It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SHOUld i be worried about FBI?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 08:44 AM
link   
recieved an email from this adress [email protected]

++++++++++++++++++++++++
FEDERAL BUREAU OF INVESTIGATIONS‏
You may not know this sender.Mark as safe|Mark as unsafe
Sent: Fri 10/24/08 4:20 AM
To:

www.fbi.gov...
ANTI TERRORIST & MONITORY CRIME DIVISION
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
And then 26 minutes later, an email supposedly from UNITED NATIONS about
"Payment Of Your Inheritance "
At first I was like stupid junk email, blah blah, but then this email from fbi.gov is bugging the # out of me? can any one enlighten me ?????

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by LetsPlayFeedTheGater

This is spam, I will give a 100% assurance on that. First off, I will give you a little technical information. Spammers generally search for a server with port 25 (SMTP) that has open relay enabled to send their emails. The SMTP is the Simple Mail Transfer Protocol. If a server does not have this password protected and allows Open Relaying, a spammer can make use of many email programs. They can send an email to any address, from any address. The address you see is NOT the actual address from the person who emailed you.

If you know how, check the headers of the email, and they will tell you what server the email was relayed off of. Then run a WHOIS search on the IP and this will show you that it was not the UN or FBI that sent that email to you.

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I get letters like this all the time. If half were true, I could buy a private island and retire to a very happy, leisurly life. Just for fun I added everything up and I'm worth about the same as the Bailout was earmarked for. The last one I got really made me laugh, FBI heading but sent to 150 other people and the promised me that they were working to help me get my money and the sender in Nigeria was legit.

It's like the chain letters you get..."Forward to 20 of your best friends in the next 20 min or...." Delete and grab another cup of coffee. The FBI won't send you an email, they will VISIT you with information or questions.

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Alas it seems that the Nigerians have discovered you.

One day we will be able to send a GPS guided missile to the senders location, until then just tag it as spam and move on.

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 07:23 PM
link   
It's Spam

Email address spoofing is just one of the many glaring flaws with the ancient protocol we continue to use for email and resulting in spam accounting for over 90% of email traffic on the Internet.

Don't worry. If the FBI wants to get ahold of you, they will.

Meanwhile, if they passed a law making spamming a capital crime punishable by feeding spammers alive to hungry sharks with lasers mounted on their heads, I would support it wholeheartedly.

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Majic
Don't worry. If the FBI wants to get ahold of you, they will.

That van outside your door labled "Two Guys From Quantico"? lets just say they are not there delivering pizza

But seriously its SPAM, as Majic points out if the FBI wanted to talk to you they would do so the old fashioned way. Come to the door and give you a knock.

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by LetsPlayFeedTheGater

The FBI? You mean the guys that didn't think there was anything strange about a bunch of Saudis that wanted to learn how to STEER a plane, but said they didn't need to know how to LAND IT?
You mean THOSE GUYS?
Need you really ask?

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 12:57 AM
link   
Yeah, I've been getting emails like that too...From the FBI (:lol
telling me that someone I'd never heard of from a state where I don't no anybody else either is dealing with a foreign bank & claims to have my signature on contracts that I've never seen either...And that it's all legitimate...

Spare me....

I marked them as spam & also reported them to the real FBI computer-crime complaint website...Since I haven't been dumb enough to lose any money, that just means that my reports will be stuck on "lower priority."

[edit on 25-10-2008 by MidnightDStroyer]

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Let alone that the return address is [email protected] LMAO there is no such reply to address... there is no monetary division of the FBI... but the stupidly placed reference where apparently some moronic spammer didnt realize the difference between monetary and monitory as is quite evident by their complete confusion to be coherent certainly gave me an afternoon laugh

Don't worry buddy, you wouldn't have had the time to get on ATS and type if you did anything that they needed you for.

AB1

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by MidnightDStroyer
Yeah, I've been getting emails like that too...From the FBI (:lol
telling me that someone I'd never heard of from a state where I don't no anybody else either is dealing with a foreign bank & claims to have my signature on contracts that I've never seen either...And that it's all legitimate...

Spare me....

I marked them as spam & also reported them to the real FBI computer-crime complaint website...Since I haven't been dumb enough to lose any money, that just means that my reports will be stuck on "lower priority."

[edit on 25-10-2008 by MidnightDStroyer]

I should have figured out they were spam instantly , but at the time, it was my second day with no sleep and after downing 3 cops of coffee, I kinda Jumped up and freaked out , because I have been contacted by the FBI before and it is never fun,, I remember when spoofing email addresses was Easy as 1 2 3 , going to long with out sleep really misses your head up

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Simple solution really

Just report it...

www.fbi.gov...

top topics

join