It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'House of Leaves' anyone?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Has anyone read Mark E. Danielewski's 'House of Leaves' recently. It's nothing new, 2000 I think, but none of my friends have the attention span for it. Would love to hear someone's thoughts on it. Scary stuff. Haven't been chilled by a book like this in a long time. His critics were divided over whether it actually qualified as a novel; it certainly blurs genres.

If you like thrilling book - and a challenging one - I highly recommend it

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 02:59 PM
link   
I had the read the Navidson Record all the way through without going into to the Narrator's story, because it just got confusing for me. This is one of my favorite books though, seriously. I just couldn't put it down once I got to the part with expedition team. (No spoilers here...)

Awesome book, I can't recommend it to everyone because it is definately genre-bending and you need to be patient enough to be able to read it. But if you're up to it its a great horror/love story.

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 04:50 PM
link   
I've read the book a number of times and absolutely LOVE doing research on it and discussing it. But the author's name is Mark Z. Danielewski...not E...at least that's what my book says.

If you want to discuss the book at all please feel free to message me:

AIM- RavenNtheDark
Email- [email protected]

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 02:24 PM
link   
OH YES. I just got the book for Christmas. I haven't started reading it, but I am going to as soon as I can.

When I am finished, I will gladly talk about it with someone!

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Excellent book, wonderful use of narrative. I like the process of his character throughout the pages, it seems as if he was giving a real personality to "Johnny" I liked that it was explicit, honest, and was really unique. I liked that the book was put together so un-traditionally just because it was artistically unique at least to me. I would recommend this book to anyone looking to find a good book to get lost in. My 2 cents.

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   
I attempted to read House of Leaves many years ago, when I was 13 or so, but I stopped about a hundred pages in. Now, I've picked up a new copy, and I'm digging into it BIG TIME. I'm seriously taking notes and analyzing the thing as I go along.

I only just started yesterday, but I feel like I have to conquer this book, not only because I failed to finish it all those years ago, but also because it presents itself as a challenge. "I DARE you to read me and actually understand whats going on." So I've taken it up on that dare.

edit on 24-9-2010 by Voidmaster because: I've been in chat rooms for too long. Too many smilies.

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Amazing book. A friend gave it to me along with the accompanying cd because she just couldn't get into it. I cracked it open and within ten pages had canceled my plans for the rest of the day and just sat there reading for 12 hours straight. Have any of you picked up companion piece The Whalestoe Letters?

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   
I have not read many novels or fiction, but I loved this book! It was so addicting and suspenseful. The way the book was written and the layout of some of the pages really affected me emotionally. It gave me senses of anxiety, suspense... I felt like I was "running" while reading. Never had a book mess with my senses the way this one did. I highly recommend this book. Enjoy!

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   
I got this last month after having it on my to-read list for nearly a decade. I'm only reading sporadically due to simultaneously tackling Gödel, Escher, Bach..., and am barely a hundred pages in (119 to be exact) but it's fast becoming my all-time favorite 'novel'. I've never been one for linear plots (short attention span here) so I love the way it jumps around, and the seemingly haphazard layout has a familiar feel because it's similar to the same way I organize my own graphic journal. Hell, even Truant's entries remind me of my own adolescent/ 20-something stream-of-consciousness ramblings back when writing was my life, and it's enough to make me want to start doing it again. Nothing but the purest love for this book...

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Catesby
If you like thrilling book - and a challenging one - I highly recommend it

I recommend the special edition hardcover with the multi color text and other goodies. Makes it even more of a mind-f than it normally is.

top topics

join