It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Drug to erase memory- Eternal Sunshine

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 05:33 AM
link   

For those haunted by thoughts of an old flame or a tragic accident, the chance to selectively erase memories might be tempting.

Now scientists have moved a step closer to that possibility by wiping away a month-old memory in genetically engineered laboratory mice, while leaving other memories unchanged.

The researchers boosted levels of a protein called α-CaMKII

newscie ntist.com

This should be convenient huh

Mod Edit: New External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 24-10-2008 by sanctum]

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 05:39 AM
link   
I can see this going horribly wrong, scientists are just going to use this because they can and end up damaging people's memories forever. Also just think of the things that could be covered up with this, the control the Government could exert on you simply because you wouldn't be sure if your memories are real or not.

Any info on whether they can alter memories rather than erasing them entirely, I think that would be the next step. Much less paranoia because of it.

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 05:48 AM
link   
This has nothing to do with people. You might as well say the thread about mosquitoes as "flying syringes" suggests that humans are going to be... oh.. wait.

I forgot where I was for a second.

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 05:59 AM
link   
Can I have mine erased? Would be rather interesting to see if it worked or just made you go crazy. I volunteer, on the condition that I will get lots of free whiskey. The contract will be tattooed on my arm so I dont forget.

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 06:19 AM
link   
Vercid is widely used amnesiac that *works like your best friend*.
"I didn't remember a thing" is widely quoted by Vercid recipients after some of the most invasive and painful of procedures have been done - procedures where the patient must be awake and able to respond to doctors.

I was given Vercid once.
The fact I can‘t remember anything bothers me more (now) than I think just going through with the procedure *awake* without Vercid.

This article isn't so far fetched at all.

I don’t see it being a stretch to think Doctors/Scientists also have a drug to *wipe out* memory.
In fact, if I had to bet on it, I‘d say they already did - hands down.

By the way.
Any scientist active in this study who says they’re not trying to *come up with something* applicable for humans?
Then what the hell are they doing it for?
Now THAT’s a no brainer.

EDIT: Forgot S&F!

...taps...

[edit on 24-10-2008 by silo13]

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 06:22 AM
link   
Couldn't the same thing be done with hypnosis? If I wanted to erase memories, I sure as heck wouldn't want to use drugs to do it.

I wonder what the long list of side effects for that one is... forgetfulness, dementia, alzheimers?

The more I think about it, the scarier it gets.

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 06:43 AM
link   
This drug is ony a step further then Rophinol and we know the problems that created.

I think if used properly then it could certainly benefit some people in this world for some of the bad experiences that they have endured.

But as with all the the good things its the people who use them to bad effect is where we will have more problems!!

The ying yang effect!!!

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 06:48 AM
link   
What about if they thought you where someone else, and they put stuff like that in your water. You paying for what others do, and its wrecking your life.

People are thick, especially people who get into powerful jobs. They think they are some sort of gods, but there as thick, as some of the people, you see on the street being asked basic questions about america, etc...

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 09:10 AM
link   
I actually had a dream akin to the whole scenario of Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless mind, and it's an extremely frightening idea for sure.

Most of us I would say define who we are through what we've experienced, what we've done with our lives shapes us into who we are. The idea of someone being able to change and shape how we define ourselves is needless to say a fair bit troubling.

Also we don't know what kind of a chain of events could be set off and what kind of an effect it could have on other memories.

IE: you erase a memory of a bad fall, thus negating a new found fear of heights, but you still have memories of times happening after the fall when you were absolutely terrified when faced with any kind of great height.

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Sounds like a great idea but it would definitely find it's way into the wrong hands. E.g. erasing the memory of a rape victim so they won't go to the police.

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 11:09 AM
link   
ROFLMAO

I was just talking about this last night. I told my roommate that I was wishing that the memory treatment from the movie was a reality.

I have a broken heart and an obsessive mind and lately I've been making myself MISERABLE!

That being said- it's one thing to fantasize about wiping my husband from my reality slate and it's another thing all together to actually DO it!

I wouldn't even go for botox for goodness sake...now we're working towards custom designed life experience? ...move over God- we'll take it from here

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 11:29 AM
link   
verced never erased my memory. In fact remember choking through the entire EGD. They gave the me the maximum amount, and could not stop me from pulling that tube from my throat,lol The doctor swearing at me the whole time.

I would never want to erase my memory, good or bad. Its bad enough my short term memory anyway.

Ama

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by amatrine

Thanks for the thread and a very interesting idea! Like the movie Eternal Sunshineotsm, in the end - your memories, good and bad, are what make you you. To delete selective "bad" memories is to delete the process in life which leads us to wisdom - acknowledging mistakes and learning from them.

ColoradoJens

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 11:50 AM
link   
they've re-invented alchohol then?

this is a bad news drug,easily missused,and to a dangerous potential effect.

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Acidtastic
they've re-invented alchohol then?
this is a bad news drug,easily missused,and to a dangerous potential effect.

Pfft. Nah, alcohol only erases your memory until you roll over and see the damage that's been done lying next to you.

In regard to my last post - I suppose it wasn't introspective enough regarding truly tramatic events rather than the movie take - erasing more trivial (girlfriend) memories.
I guess if you had no memory of that event after it was removed, it wouln't affect you moving forward - but what stange realizatons occur as you wonder why you are hanging upside down in gravity boots and in therapy 60 hours a week.

ColoradoJens

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by BlackProjects

Sadly the governments doing that to my girlfriend so she wont remeber me or any thing about me. They should stick with animals not people.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Great for the IRS

Joe normal April 2009 "but I thought I paid my taxes last year".
IRS "well you didn't"
Joe Normal "will you take a check?"
IRS "Cash only"
Joe Normal "Here's your cash, sorry about the mix up"

Joe normal May 2009 "but I thought I paid my taxes last year".
IRS "well you didn't"
IRS "Cash only"

Joe normal June 2009 "but I thought I paid my taxes last year".
IRS "well you didn't"
IRS "Cash only"

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   
this is absolutely unsettling, messing with your memory, or erasing it is like getting rid of what and who you are.

top topics

join