It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best Saturn photo ever

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 03:51 AM
link   
Hello ATS,

Just check and contemplate on this beauty.
Best view of father time aka saturn I have seen.
Just ceck that planet I believe at one point saturn was much closer to us and that saturn even was active acting like a sun!But that's something for another time.

Enjoy!

Interior to the G ring and above the brighter main rings is the pale dot of Earth.
Cassini views its point of origin from close to a billion miles away in the icy depths of the outer solar system.
ou can even see tiny earth a small dot above the G rings

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 03:53 AM
link   
very nicer pic well done

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 04:00 AM
link   
reply to post by PPLwakeUP

It doesn't look real. But if you've ever seen Saturn through a telescope it doesn't really look real either. It looks to me like a model hanging up there. Just too pretty.

Edit: I'm not saying the image is fake. What I mean is the real Saturn doesn't even look real.

[edit on 24-10-2008 by Phage]

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 05:29 AM
link   
Hello

Also want to add that on this photo the sun is behind saturn that's why you can see the halo and the beautifull G rings...made out off microscopic particles.

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 06:07 AM
link   
Nice composite image. There are nicer 'real' photos taken of saturn, but thats a great one if you bear in mind it isn't one single photo but made up of many of them.

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 06:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I've always thought Saturn looked completely fake no matter what the angle.

PPLwakeUP - gorgeous image. It just became my background

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 07:17 AM
link   
This was my desktop image for awhile. I think this photo is so beautiful.

This is off subject a little.. but.. anyone ever heard how Saturn sounds? You should check it out if you havent!

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 10:09 AM
link   
The "photo" is certainly beautiful, but it looks computer generated to me. Could you post a link to the source where you found it?
Thanks in advance.

And regarding the sounds of Saturn, which Reesecup referred to, you can listen to it here (Eerie Sounds of Saturn's Radio Emissions):

www.nasa.gov...

The sound really is eerie!

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by PPLwakeUP

Very cool. Thanks for the post. I find it interesting that my oldest boy is now at the age where he ask a lot of question ie: how does the sun work? why are there rings around Saturn? etc. I am finding I don't know much (or remember) but my kids are pushing me to learn more - I check ATS for things like this and again, thanks! The kids had a lot of questions!

ColoradoJens

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by ColoradoJens

NASA has it own "NASA Kids' Club", with different games and animations. I am sure it can be a fun way for your kids to learn about space.

Here is the link:
www.nasa.gov...

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 11:31 AM
link   
The photo is not a composite, nor computer generated. It was taken by the Cassini probe while in Saturn's shadow.
apod.nasa.gov...

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 12:09 PM
link   
ReplytoZiggystar60

Again, why I come here - Thanks for the link. Sometimes we are too caught up in our own little worlds to look outside more oftern and I am as guilty as anyone else. I appreciate it again.

ColoradoJens

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I guess that depends on what your definition of "composite" is. It is certainly a mosaic of images, not a single photograph:

photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov...

Cassini was approximately 2.2 million kilometers (1.3 million miles) from Saturn when the images in this mosaic were taken. Image scale on Saturn is about 260 kilometers (162 miles) per pixel.

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by nataylor

You're correct. I misspoke. There really is only one definition of composite. In a strictly accurate sense it is also computer generated, though not CGI.

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

yep...I concur!

OMG the stars are beautiful !

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 02:53 PM
link   
First of all I would like to post the image itself, since it hasn't been done before in the thread. It really is stunningly beautiful - and somewhat "unreal" looking:

As mentioned earlier in the thread the image can be found at (among others) this source:
photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov...

When you click this link, the page says that the image is produced by Cassini Imaging Team. I clicked the link, which took me to this site, "Ciclops - Cassini Imaging - Central Loboratory for Operations":

ciclops.org...

And at this site I found another link to a room called "Art Room". Here i read something interesting about how they make their images:

The dramatic scenes and landscapes around Saturn that have unfolded on the pages of this website over the last several years are as wild, fantastic, and haunting as anything ever conjured by those attempting to portray the sublime and the unseen. Gazing upon any one of our images, we are instantly there, hovering above the rings or climbing the cliffs of Iapetus.
But before the days of real spaceships, all a would-be space traveler had were the captured imaginings of the astronomical artist. Even today, the hard realities of spacecraft trajectories and limited on-board resources restrict the photogenic opportunties that can be exploited, and the artist is still needed to sketch in the details and make visual -- even understandable -- what can't directly be observed.
Here, on the pages of this Art Room, in recognition and with gratitude for the delight and inspiration we have enjoyed because of them, we are featuring the creative contributions of today's space artists to this noble genre. We honor their soaring imaginations, technical skills, and artistic talents, as we celebrate, too, the special bond that joins them to us. For astronomical artists, like scientists, are romantics, dreamers, and explorers .... ever yearning, ever seeking, ever hopeful.

So it seems that the image isn't just a computer genereted mosaic, but very likely also has had some artistic work done on it.

And by the way, the Ciclop site is well worth a visit. Follow the link to the "Theatre" and you can see (among other things) film clips like "Flight over Iapetus" and "Mulitcolor Hyperion". Highly recommended!

[edit on 27/10/08 by ziggystar60]

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Great pic.
Thank you very much.
Good to read its real.
Taken by Cassini.
It looks so beautiful on this screen as my desktop.

I want to get in something and go there.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Interestinggg

Real? Hm... That depends on what you mean by "real", I guess...
Lets see, mosaic, computer generated and a little art work too...

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Looks like an artist conjured it up. Its amazing that something so amazingly perfect and beautiful can seem unreal. What an awesome picture, Id put it as my background had it not already been the eagle nebula.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 01:08 AM
link   
I hate Saturn! They build the crappiest vehicle I have ever owned. Couldn't keep that piece of excrement on the road for nothing!

But......That picture, its nice!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join