It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
Originally posted by all2human
Define normal and we can discuss
Agent Provocateurs emphasize:
1. Attacking individuals for what they believe/advocate (ad-hominem)
2. Divisiveness to the exclusion of constructive debate; avoidance of civility and polite discussion
3. The use of ridicule, divisive labels, sarcasm, accusations, and ad-hominem to bait fights rather than constructive dialog. As well, personal commentary, past battles, group associations, etc. are all highlighted for the purpose of divisive battles
4. Straw-man (often with divisive labels): distorting the position of your opponent in order to make them defensive and bait an argument
5. A refusal to fairly debate or acknowledge contrary opinions/evidence and instead attack an individual for their views
In short, an Agent Provocateur is an expert in ad-hominem:
1. Attacking an individual rather than critiquing their position
2. Attacking an individual while critiquing/attacking/distorting their position
Originally posted by PinealGlandThoth
have you guys read "behold a pale horse"?
Originally posted by Griff
The title pretty much says it all, but, I'm getting so sick of the "facts" getting muddled over the years. I just want some serious discussion with facts, precedence, and really just evidence to back things up. This applies to both sides of the spectrum. So, I mean no offense to any one.
From what I see here at ATS, the answer is, "no". But this is true everywhere where people have different points of view, in MHO.
Mod edit: Fixed title by request from author.
[edit on 10/23/2008 by Hal9000]