It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Conspiracy of the "American" (let's end racism and xenophobia!)...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Here is a little theory that I have been pondering:

There's No Such Thing As An "American"

The basis for this thought is extremely simple: America, in her design, is a mixture of many different cultures (the "Melting Pot" and etc.). Other states are made of people of the same race, religion, and/or etc. America, by definition, is not. I am not saying this is a bad thing, I am just making a point. Because America is full of different people from different countries, any one so called "American" has his or her heritage starting from another state (as examples, think of the terms "African-Americans," "Chinese Americans," "Spanish-Americans," and etc.). To put it simply, no one "American's" history began in America
. This shouldn't be news to us, as we have all learned of America's beginnings (and if you haven't, feel free to learn, as it is very interesting).

Think of other states, with histories that stretch X thousand years (China, Germany, etc.) One can genuinely be from such states, as they have X thousand years of history, while one cannot find that his or her own heritage ends in America. Does this makes sense to you?

If not, allow me to point out a few things. Do "Americans" speak "American?" Sure, one could argue that they do, as English is spoken very differently in different places, such as the United Kingdom, America, and Australia. But, I would say that one would most likely agree that here in America, one speaks English. Okay, so we use a language which is not uniquely ours, as we use it because of our English ancestors, which, in turn, have a language that has its origins from Latin. What about the Chinese language and the German language and etc.? Are they uniquely there's? I would say yes! The Chinese, I think, can read very ancient artifacts, as it is in Chinese. It's a language uniquely there's and has been for a very long time, that is, it wasn't inherited from somewhere else, like here in America. And, in the case of the Chinese language, if it was inherited from somewhere else, it was so very very long ago that it becomes irrelevant and so it's still unique.

Alright, now what about "American" names? Can we have "American" names? Surely other people in other states can have names unique to that state. Such examples can be names that are uniquely Chinese, German, and Russian. So what of "American" names? As we have inherited our language from our English ancestors, it makes sense that our names cannot be uniquely ours. Sure, English names may be a bit different from the ones found here in America, but they are very closely related, as, again, we have a common language with few differences.

How many racists are there in this country that think that so called foreigners aren't allowed in this country? I wonder if these racists know that they really aren't "American!" I wonder if they know that their history stretches back to other states, maybe ones in Europe and etc. My intentions with this thread are innocent. This isn't an America-hate thread. One way to end racism and xenophobia is to realize that one can't be an "American," in the same sense as one could be, as examples, Chinese and German. I hate to rely on Hollywood, but look at the movie 'Gangs of New York.' Look how many people thought that others didn't belong in America because they were foreign to them. The people judging, though, were, in fact, foreigners! Do you think the English and the Irish and etc. belonged in America? Maybe they did, but what made them "American" (or more "American" than others)? There's no race or ethnicity called "American," only the ignorant think that!

We have a huge problem here in America which revolves around some "Americans" thinking that others do not belong in America. People want to build fences disconnecting America and Mexico for some reason (the reason isn't solely about keeping terrorists out, I am sure). Some fear that Mexicans and others are taking jobs away from "Americans." But what is an "American?" What makes you more "American" than another? Just because you were born here? Or is it because your family has X amount of years of history in America? Let me tell you that all your years of heritage in America is nothing compared to people in other states! I used to get mad at the different ethnic parades we have here in New York. I used to wonder why we don't have an "American" ethnic parade (the 4th of July doesn't count). I have come to the realization that we cannot

The thing about this There's No Such Thing As An "American" theory is that it can go one huge step forward. Although one cannot be an "American," one can genuinely be Chinese and German and etc. But, although such states have histories far longer than America, one could go further and say that all of human kind is united in that we all came from a single place! Whether it be Africa or Antarctica, as some theories have it, or from God, as religious people would say, or because of science, as people of science would say, we all came from some singular starting point, which is a logical statement. In essence, we are all the same! This fact is hidden by the many difference that we have. These differences are beautiful, not disgusting as some people think. Thus, another point of this thread is to point out the obvious: we are all the same and equal!

Let's discuss! Mods, please keep this thread either in this forum or some other ATS forum, as I wish that this gets a lot of attention. Thanks!

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 07:56 PM
link   
There isn't much to say except that everything you just said made perfect sense. I always thought it was ironic that some people in this country can dislike forgeiners even though their family were forgeiners once too.

Starred and Flagged.

[edit on 23-10-2008 by August Sonereal]

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by August Sonereal
There isn't much to say except that everything you just said made perfect sense. I always thought it was ironic that some people in this country can dislike forgeiners even though their family were forgeiners once too.

Awesome we agree!

Starred and Flagged.

Thanks!

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 09:47 PM
link   
This goes as deep as the alleged primeval soup

It's reflected in primate behaviours

Do we see packs of lions bedding down peaceably with cheetas or
springboks ?

This is reflected in ethnic 'quaters' and ghettos

It's reflected in Chinese and Mexican and Ukranian flags flown aloft over
immigrants' businesses and houses

It's about innate territoriality

about pride

insecurity

fear

power

sense of identity

It's reflected in picket fences and wrought-iron security gates

in gated communities

in 'rich' suburbs

in penthouses

in millionaires' enclaves

in tent cities

in the marina at Cannes

If mankind were disposed to treat all he meets as a brother, as 'same', then there would never have been nation-states, borders, wars, flags, national anthems, diverse religions

It is the human condition

Free us from our human-ness, strip us of our atavistic inheritance, separate us from our biological parents at birth, deliver us from state-run educational-institutions ...

... and shelter us from the self-serving manipulations of politicians

then perhaps xenophobia and racism will end themselves

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 09:53 PM
link   
English actually has it roots mostly in Germanic.
It is considered by many to be the most recent and modern form of German.
There is also a huge french influence on English as well, which is why a lot of us never realize we are speaking Germanic.
Many words and letter have their influence and or losses due to the French who were not willing to speak the more difficult aspects of the Germanic.
There are some minor Latin influences as well.

[edit on 23/10/2008 by reticledc]

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dock6
then perhaps xenophobia and racism will end themselves

Wow, nice post!

Originally posted by reticledc
English actually has it roots mostly in Germanic.
It is considered by many to be the most recent and modern form of German.
There is also a huge french influence on English as well, which is why a lot of us never realize we are speaking Germanic.
Many words and letter have their influence and or losses due to the French who were not willing to speak the more difficult aspects of the Germanic.
There are some minor Latin influences as well.

Cool, my point is still valid then.

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 04:45 PM
link   
I'll give this thread a lil' bump, so, hopefully, it can get a bit more attention.

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Oh yeah, I made a slight mistake there as well.
The Latin influence is actually directly related to the French influence.
French is one of the derivative languages of Latin

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by reticledc
French is one of the derivative languages of Latin

So is Spanish. See, there is a common staring point to all of this (but it is most definitely pre-Roman times).

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 04:19 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Hey! I was on the train this weekend and I viewed an advertisement completely in Spanish. I used to be mad that signs and etc. were in other languages here in the U.S., but now I understand that things like this are okay, as we, "Americans," don't even have our own language. Actually, I was almost mad on this occasion
. Maybe us "Americans" have anxiety about feeling like foreigners in our own country (that's how I felt on that occasion). Now I realize that we are all foreigners here in the U.S. and this land doesn't even (originally) belong to us
(but let's not get focused on that topic).

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 09:12 PM
link   
As another way of disproving "American" names, one can use the King James version of the Bible, which contains many names that people may consider "American," names such as Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, Peter, Mary, Elizabeth, and countless others. How can these be "American" names when they existed before America was created, that is, sometime around when the King James Bible was created? These names are examples of English names. This shouldn't be too surprising, right? This is a great example and one that I forgot to mention in the past.

I am saddened that this thread has not got much attention. Are we so nationalistic that we don't want to discuss this interesting topic? Do you fear being critical of America? I am talking to "Americans" here

Let's talk!

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Bumpy! Sorry!

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Of course. We are a nation of immagrants.

I think most people here in America know this.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frankidealist35
I think most people here in America know this.

Actually I would differ. People may really think they are "American" and might care not about their further history. Also, I am sure that many people would disagree with the other ideas mentioned by me in this thread. People, it seems, are super patriotic nowadays and etc.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by they see ALL

Maybe I'm just more aware of this because a lot the older people in my family and their descendants have came from other countries.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Maybe I'm just more aware of this because a lot the older people in my family and their descendants have came from other countries.

And that's great! What do you think of my other points. Can you see how I derived my ideas?

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 10:06 PM
link   

I agree with them but I think they would have more credibility if you talked about like how people often forget what their heritage is. It's not that they think they're American it's that they don't realize they are of so many heritages and when they realize this they think that other people won't believe them.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 10:15 PM
link   

I agree with them but I think they would have more credibility if you talked about like how people often forget what their heritage is. It's not that they think they're American it's that they don't realize they are of so many heritages and when they realize this they think that other people won't believe them.

I know what you are saying and that is a great point. This, one can say, is a problem (that people forget what their heritages are). It's not only a problem, but it is also sad, isn't it?

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Yes it is. I am a strong believer in the view that people shouldn't discriminate in one another but rather recognize the contributions certain groups or nations have made to society.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join