It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do not talk to the police

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by ANNED
I would not be posting here if i had not used my miranda rights 15 years ago.

They had me with over 150 pounds of explosives in my car.

They only recognized about 10 pounds as explosives and over looked the rest.
(yes cops are stupid)

Through my lawyer i baffled them with bulls**t and a state explosives permit i had. and only got convicted of a minor charge of transporting explosives with out placards on my car.

They missed the homemade explosives and some other non explosive firearms items I had stored in my tool box that would have had me still in prison.

The funny part is that 5 years later i got a federal explosives permit and a permit for the other firearms items without any problems.

I have been caught riding a unlicensed ATV by the BLM rangers in the calif desert a few times and just showed them my mining claim papers and claimed the i did not need a green sticker because i was using the ATV as a piece of mining equipment. and they could talk to my lawyer if they had any questions about it.
for some reason cops do not like to talk to lawyers.

for many years i keep my truck registered in a company name just so if the found something illegal i could claim it must have been left by a employees that was using the truck.
I would likely have still been arrested but would have had a better chance of beating it in front of a jury.

Another thing about using a company name on the registration is that cops are less likely to pull you over just to see what they can find.
I have been pulled over many times because the cop claimed i was weaving.
this is the oldest cop trick as a excuse to pull you over.

If this is the case and you are white and the cop wants to search you car tell then NO that you are not going to "help there department get off the hook for racial profiling"
This is such a odd answer the it may surprise the cop and he may let you go if the department has been charged with racial profiling.
It also looks not like you are hiding something but they are.

I am kinda floored by this post.
I am having a hard time holding back my tongue (fingers)

In my opinion this poster has been way too lucky. Just me?

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 11:26 AM
link   

The Abu Ghraib torture and prisoner abuse in iraq was done by military reserves and there civilian jobs before they were called up were cops and prison guards.

That makes you wonder what they had been doing to people at there regular jobs in the US.

They have documented a number of these torture-murders were committed by "special forces" and the CIA.

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by TXMACHINEGUNDLR

TXMACHINE....you may have different political views than I do, but that is a brilliant post!!!

I want to iterate that most of my befouling of the 'law' is devoted to parking tickets.

I got 'pulled over' twice in my driving lifetime for excessive speed....once when I was eighteen, and again when I was in a rented car, going down a hill, and just not paying attention....and I was then 26. I am now 52, and have NEVER had a speeding ticket since.

EDIT to add....in both encounters, the Police were polite, and I as contrite.

Funny, the second one, in the Rental Car....the officer (CHP) told me, after it was too late, since he'd already written the ticket, that because I was flying for an airline....IF I had told him early on, he would have not issued the ticket....because he was interested in flying.

So....this has nothing to do with 'Felony' or 'Murder' charges, of course, but still good stuff to consider, especially in today's times....say NOTHING, be polite when confronted by 'peace oficers'....because 1983 is very different than 2008, in the USA.

[edit on 10/24/0808 by weedwhacker]

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Well it sure seems a lot of you are fairly forth-coming with information, perhaps it's best you guys keep these things to yourselves, after-all this is public and people can read and draw conclusions... and I'm sure there are a few officers on this board, and perhaps some people who monitor it for such admissions.

Just saying guys... Be careful... just like in the video; everyone put their hands up when the cop asked them a question.. and Professor James Duane scolds them all for answering a cops question RIGHT after he told them not to.

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Here is my experience of when I learned to NOT talk with police.......

About four years ago I was pulled over in a routine traffic stop. Break light was out, but when I drove by the cop I didn't use my breaks, GO FIGURE?!!??!

It was a saturday night, 11pm so they were probably looking for drunk drivers. He asked if I had anything to drink tonight. At that point I should of said 'no'. Which would have been a lie, I had a few drinks that night, 3 infact. I had three beers around 5-6pm. Given the body removes about one drink per hour I would be alcohol free around 8-9pm. I was not driving under the influence. However I decided to be honest with the police officer and I told him I had "three beers, a few hours ago". At that point he made me get out of the car, called for back up, I got hand cuffed and put in the back seat of his car. I asked him if I was being arrested, I told him I'm not drunk and I'd take a breathalizer, or pee test. The cop just said "If you aren't going to cooperate I'll arrest you for interfering with a police investigation." I was 22 at the time, and afraid to talk back to the police, but maybe that was a good thing.

I made the mistake of admitting I had drinks that night the cop felt he had the right to detain me. The cop then searched my car, and when back up arrived they both questioned me. I explained the timeframe of the drinks again. The police made me under go a series of different coordination tests. They had me walk a straight line while still in hand cuffs. The first cop kept saying I was going to get arrested because I confessed to being drunk. The back up officer atleast had some scence, and appeared to be the more senior of the officers. When they realized I was not intoxicated they made me take a breathalizer. WHY NOT JUST DO THAT IN THE FIRST PLACE YOU STUPID COP!!!! When the breathalizer passed I was released but the first cop said "I better not see you around here again tonight".

Seriously? He really said that, like I wasn't allowed to drive in my own town?

Well the joke was this guy because I filed a formal complaint with the police office as I was unlawfully detained. The officer had no right to put me in handcuffs because I was not guilty of anything, and even in the "confession" I stated to cop, I would still not be over the limit. LUCKY for me this was a new cop, and he already had several complaints against him. My best friend's dad works for the same dept and appearently the cop who gave me a hard time got fired a few months later. SO SUCK IT!!!

Anyways that is my rant, and if I lied to the officer and said I didn't drink anything I probably would of saved myself an hour, and a lot of fustration.

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by gormly

I was wondering what the heck is he doing that he needs to do so much hiding?

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 01:18 PM
link   
My beef with police lately has been the lack of involvement, lol.

I have had several incidences where police blew us off.

Once in an apt complex, all the kids hung out, big group of us, the oldest was 14 I think.

A guy who was totally tweaked on something,and started chasing the girls through the apt complex, threatening to rape them and threatening to beat the guys.

One of us called the police. They came out and said nothign could be done becasue there were no adult witnesses and left.

A year later I saw this same guy screaming at someone in an apt and throwing bricks at their sliding door, cussing like you wouldn't believe, till he smashed the door. He kept stumbling and falling as he ran away.

Someone close to me died of a drug overdose. I couldn't believe the police did not ask us one question. Like who did they hang ou with, where did tehy get their stuff, nothing.

I had a car broken into, and the police came out and just said to check my local pawn shop for my stuff. I asked if they were going to finderprint. They said they can't take a fingerprint off a textured surface like a dashbaord.

don't solve a lot of crimes do ya?

I looked at them like they were full of it, and they knew I knew it.

[edit on 24-10-2008 by nixie_nox]

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Not defending the police, but there was a break-in here a while ago. Police were fine. Don't know how they can stand their job, to be honest, because it must be boring a lot of the time.

They sent the fingerprint guy around the next day and he said the same .. can't get prints off this, this and this, because it's textured. He wanted to get the prints and did get some from other surfaces, such as glass, smooth metal.

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by prestonberryworth

preston...it's a 'brake' light, not a 'break' light....because if your 'brake lights' get 'broken'...."they" might pull you over.

Let's review, for the drivers....

If you have an Automatic Transmission then you have TWO, and only two PEDALS to worry over.

One, on the right, is the Accelerator, and the one on the left is the Brake.

If you drive a Manual Shift vehicle, then you know abut the other pedal, off to the left, which is the Clutch.

OK, have followed that discussion to its death....

Back to TOPIC...Do Not Talk To The Police...seems a clear message, and one that I, though I don't imagine will be ever in that scenario, will try to remember.

BUT....this thread is, for Humans, and any other Citizens of this World who value Individual's rights --- an important thread because it illustrates how important the US Constitution is, as a Document, and as an imagining of how we Humans might wish to further conduct ourselves.

The US Constitution isn't a World Power, of course....but if one dares to read it, and abide by it, one could learn from it.

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 01:51 PM
link   
That was a great video. Everyone should be forced to watch that in public school.

I know that my memory can play tricks on me. I know that I don't remember everything exactly.

So the examples that he used would certainly apply to me. I could easily make a statement while trying to be truthful that could be used against. me.

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

I would not only say lack of involvement, but lack of organization and lack of intelligence... I, a while back, unknowingly confused the court thinking they were handling one case of mine, but they had all the wrong paper work, which made the defense attorney i had along with the prosecuting attorney look like idiots and the judge was also confused... I like the judge though cuz he's been cool with me, but ya they totally confused my case up and that in itself is means for dismissal, I think... The key is pay attention to everything not only what the prosecutor is doing and saying but that of your defender as well... The judge has the final say in everything unless you're in a jury trial I think... I could be wrong, the judge could have the final say in all cases... It's good to pay attention to them as well, but better to not judge the judge, but befriend the judge if you can...

I know not the subject, but sorta... That's just one of my experiences with the courts and such... Sometimes they do make mistakes and if you catch them making them it will work out for you in the long run... Get an attorney appointed to you and then act as if you are representing yourself in court... Be prepared, at least a little...

I've seen so many kids just sit there and the judge will ask them a question and they act like they don't really care or are half stoned... I'm telling you that doesn't look good... Anyway, it's just interesting to me...

Oh and it's not against the law to record any conversation you have with police officers via voice tape or video tape as far as I know... You'd have to ask a lawyer bout that one for sure, but I'm pretty sure that's how it is, so if you happen to have a phone that records video start recording, or something that will record voice, like and mp3 player, do it... Heck bust out the full studio camera if you have it, the mic and all and begin an interview with the cop as he's arresting you... Because based off what the cop was saying in the second video, they are always trying to slip you up, get you do say something or do something or whatever...

[edit on 24-10-2008 by ElectricUncleSam]

[edit on 24-10-2008 by ElectricUncleSam]

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by gormly

This is such a odd answer the it may surprise the cop and he may let you go

I am kinda floored by this post.
I am having a hard time holding back my tongue (fingers)

In my opinion this poster has been way too lucky. Just me?

In some ways I have to agree with ANNED; I can certainly see where he is coming from.

While I do agree that if you are facing a serious charge you should not talk to the police, I feel differently when it comes to minor offenses, especially traffic violations.

It is very easy to talk your way out of a ticket, as long as the violataion is not too excessive (like driving 90 mph in a 30 mph zone.)

I like to drive fast. I have been pulled over many times. I have only gotten 1 speeding ticket in 24 years of driving.

When you get pulled over, have your license, registration, and insurance ready to hand the officer as soon as he approaches your vehicle. Have your windows rolled down and have the interior lights on if it is nighttime. I have found that immediately admitting to the traffic violation, apologizing, offering an explanation or excuse, and asking for a break does work.

As pointed out by ANNED's anecdotal evidence, this approach may work in other situations as well.

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 11:59 AM
link   
I was pulled over and i put on christian radio was poilte and curteous and said praise God like i was a good little boy and still got the speeding tickirt

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 03:59 AM
link   
reply to post by solomen kane

Sounds like you didn't check which religion the cop was before you put on the music.

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 04:27 AM
link   
I wonder how many people join the police to actually help other people.

And after 3 years in the force, how many are still there to help people?

The environment in which they work must be killing the soul.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join