It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Odds of a military draft

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Assuming that Biden is correct and there will be some sort of event to "test" Obama, and assuming this event is being drawn into a war with Iran, what are the odds of a military draft?

How will this draft be implemented?

Will it be as posted on the Selective Service website, a lottery for those aged 18-25?

How well will a draft go over with U.S. citizens?

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Anyone? Wow, the draft is usually a hot topic. I'm suprised noone has posted.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 02:09 PM
link   
well im over 25, however if I wasn't or they upped the age to 35, I would say the odds of me going to war are ZERO, i would not go.. period end of story.. I wont support this screwed up system in any way, now if i can quit paying taxes I'd feel allot better .

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I'd just laugh, as I'm shipping out with the Navy in spring anyway...

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by cardinalfanUSA
Assuming that Biden is correct and there will be some sort of event to "test" Obama, and assuming this event is being drawn into a war with Iran, what are the odds of a military draft?

How will this draft be implemented?

Will it be as posted on the Selective Service website, a lottery for those aged 18-25?

How well will a draft go over with U.S. citizens?

Betting you will see government buildings torched before the American people will allow more of their sons and daughters on Middle Eastern soil. Enough is enough with Iraq....

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Ok, let me take it a step further: what if the situation in Iran turned into a WWIII type situation with the U.S. and Israel vs. Iran, China, Russia?

Who would be drafted and how well do you think the American public would accept it?

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 02:51 PM
link   
I don't think a draft would go over well at all with anyone.

I am 30 years old now so I don't think I would get drafted but things can change at the flick of a pen.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 04:38 AM
link   
Yet another thread murdered by me.....

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 04:46 AM
link   
Regarding a draft, I am more concerned with the economic situation than the tensions with Iran. In my opinion, the worse that the economy gets on a global scale, the more likely a world war will be used to get the global economy moving again.

As we see more and more countries teetering on complete economic collapse, I become more anxious about an excuse being generated to draw us all into a war. If it gets bad enough, I would bet on WWIII.

If WWIII happens, there will be a draft. You can bellyache about it all that you want, but dodging the draft isn't as simple as people make it out to be. You will be faced with a hard, real choice of what you want with the rest of your life. You will have to decide if it is really worth the consequences. Many people will talk a tough game, but when their card arrives in the mail, they will do what they are ordered to do.

I don't look forward to it. I hope that things turn around. I am having my doubts though.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 04:53 AM
link   
yeah, im 21. A draft seems quite possible. And well I sure as hell DO NOT want to go to war. I have quite a large agenda for my future. I have A LOT of future plans. Im kicking my butt in school right now. I kicked my butt to get where i am, and i don't want to see it all get washed away as i am forced to join the military. Even if all i do is sit behind computers the entire time and decipher codes, i do not want to alter my set plans. Or be forced to fight a war.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 04:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Karlhungis
Regarding a draft, I am more concerned with the economic situation than the tensions with Iran. In my opinion, the worse that the economy gets on a global scale, the more likely a world war will be used to get the global economy moving again.

As we see more and more countries teetering on complete economic collapse, I become more anxious about an excuse being generated to draw us all into a war. If it gets bad enough, I would bet on WWIII.

If WWIII happens, there will be a draft. You can bellyache about it all that you want, but dodging the draft isn't as simple as people make it out to be. You will be faced with a hard, real choice of what you want with the rest of your life. You will have to decide if it is really worth the consequences. Many people will talk a tough game, but when their card arrives in the mail, they will do what they are ordered to do.

I don't look forward to it. I hope that things turn around. I am having my doubts though.

First of all I won't be drafted but that being said the option of dieing or sitting in jail I would take the jail at least you get free food, water and a dry place to sleep as opposed to possibly being shot at and sleeping under the stars in all types of weather.

Before the draft however those of us that have already served and got out will be re-activated. There is a clause in the discharge paperwork that says you can be re-activated up to 10 years after your discharge. I was told it's 5 now but mine stated 10 when I decided to get out. I have 2 years left.

Secondly if you can have a serious medical problem written up and documented such as breathing problems, heart problems etc. they won't want you anyway.

This day in age no one would support a draft other than the govt officials themselves because they already know their safe and will target the younger less educated individual because it will cause less of an uproar.

Only other people supporting it will be the folks already in that don't want to get their buts killed because there wasn't enough help not to mention all the AWOLs that will occur if there is a WW3

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 05:03 AM
link   
reply to post by ghostlandseller

What would be more disruptive to your future though? Fighting a war and being enlisted for 2 years or prison time, felony charges and (I think) a $50,000 fine? You would have to hide from that for your whole life, whereas you could just play Russian roulette with the war and hope you don't get seriously injured or killed. It wouldn't be an easy choice and either one is going to seriously impact your future.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 05:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Darthorious

My 10 years will be up in July. I hope it won't matter though.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 05:09 AM
link   
I would probably choose war. But i think i would maybe see if i had some good doctor friends who could find some health issues with me. Im sure i can find some... COUGH COUGH. where did i put that darn inhaler. Ouch, my arches are sore. Why do i always get like this with my manic depression. Or was that my bipolar disorder. My arthritis is killing me! Uh no i hope this isnt mono setting in.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 05:09 AM
link   

What would be more disruptive to your future though? Fighting a war and being enlisted for 2 years or prison time, felony charges and (I think) a $50,000 fine? You would have to hide from that for your whole life, whereas you could just play Russian roulette with the war and hope you don't get seriously injured or killed. It wouldn't be an easy choice and either one is going to seriously impact your future.

I had an uncle who successfully went AWOL not that I thought it was right but he just left the mill. and never went back.

He joined a side show that traveled the country and only reason I know this is cause I ran into him while he was helping run it.

They will call all family members for 5 years every year asking if anyone has seen that person. After 5 years they reduce the calls to imidiate families and after 10 years stopped calling all together.

I only saw him that once and that was after the 10 years so he was never caught.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 05:10 AM
link   
I think that in the event of WWIII there will be a draft for sure. I am 22 and have no desire to put my life on the line for the suits and heads in Washington. If it does come down to that, I know many people living in many deep woods. And if that doesn't work I could just come out of the closet till it dies down, if that works?

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 05:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by ghostlandseller
I would probably choose war. But i think i would maybe see if i had some good doctor friends who could find some health issues with me. Im sure i can find some... COUGH COUGH. where did i put that darn inhaler. Ouch, my arches are sore. Why do i always get like this with my manic depression. Or was that my bipolar disorder. My arthritis is killing me! Uh no i hope this isnt mono setting in.

One way I know works for sure. You chop off an enemies head wander away from your unit and let them find you amilessly carrying the head around with a blank stare on your face 2 days later. Never seen a guy discharged so fast in my life lol...

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 05:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Darthorious

I had an uncle who successfully went AWOL not that I thought it was right but he just left the mill. and never went back.

He joined a side show that traveled the country and only reason I know this is cause I ran into him while he was helping run it.

They will call all family members for 5 years every year asking if anyone has seen that person. After 5 years they reduce the calls to imidiate families and after 10 years stopped calling all together.

I only saw him that once and that was after the 10 years so he was never caught.

Yeah, it certainly is possible but you have to choose if you want to live that way. A lot of people would probably not want to live in a side show dodging the feds for the rest of their life.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 05:26 AM
link   
Yeah i think living in a sideshow might just might be a little too creepy for my taste. I am thinking there are ways around it if you did for enough solutions. If you happen to know some judges or government leaders, even in your community there is an appeals application if i am not mistaken. If you get someone qualified to accept it you are not required to go. Im not 100% sure this is correct though. this is just based off some quick research. I think i know enough Judges, state representatives, congressmen, and even doctors to get out.

But just saying this makes me look like a prick. Like im being a little B!tch. But hell, ill be living at home, and there will be so many single girls for the taking. Sounds awefull! Its not like i am opposed to joining the military, i have a strong military heritage with governors and generals. But i just don't want to be forced to do it.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 05:27 AM
link   

Yeah, it certainly is possible but you have to choose if you want to live that way. A lot of people would probably not want to live in a side show dodging the feds for the rest of their life.

Question is what job do you get. Could just be something stupid like a cook state side for the training bases or actual training.

I would require a waiver for no marching and no saluting, and my old job back then I would be alright with it to an extent as my original job was training. But front lines forget it I'm calling my doctor in that case.

Edit: Besides 40's just around the corner and I don't think my body would like me putting it through all that again lol

[edit on 27-10-2008 by Darthorious]

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join