It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient City Exposed By Melting Ice Shelf

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Can't believe there's no thread on this already, this ish is mind-blowing.
Ancient City Exposed By Melting Ice Shelf

"Though badly damaged by the drilling, Lake reports intact samples have been obtained. The extremely early date in the geological strata of these fossils is otherwise problematic because of their highly evolved features, including star-shaped heads with cephalopoid tentacles.

Aerial photographs taken by Dyer show a sprawling stone city of permutahedra, cones, and non-euclidean forms. Professor Pabodie says these are, "unprecedented [...] atypical of ancient architecture in any other part of the world". Entering a fissure in one of the cones the two discovered a large petroglyphic mural they believe depicts a creation myth including the Moon separating from the Earth and marine forms similar to those discovered on the floor of the Ross Sea this antarctic summer. "

It goes on to say that the researchers' communication was cut off in a severe and unusual ice storm, the whole thing sounds straight out of a movie, check out the link for more info and awesmoe pictures

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Gamechanger

yeah, yeah...yeah
Those are the escalators to Canary Wharf in London, was on them yesterday...the cold is due to the credit crunch :-)

[edit on 23-10-2008 by Valorian]

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Check the date on the article.

I hate april fools day... especially stories like this which I find interesting, only to find out that they are BS.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Valorian

I agree, this story seems to be part of a April Fools day joke...reading through the comments on the OP link provided.

Comments

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Awww damnit, I think you're right about it being April Fool's...
How lame, now I understand why there was no previous thread on it.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 11:31 AM
link   
As earth shattering as this sounds. If it were discovered it would killed immediately. Or at least the discoverers would be.
4-1-08

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 11:35 AM
link   
William Dyer's expedition to the Antartic was in 1930-31.I doubt these photos are from that time peroid.This looks like a hoax as the date line of the story is March 31,2008 just in time for April fools day.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Ok, this isn't strictly an April Fools joke, not in October anyway...

What this is likely to be is viral-advertising for the Mountains of Madness movie, hopefully being produced by Guillermo del Toro, based upon a story by H.P. Lovecraft. It may or may not star Ron Perlman.

It's a great story and G.D.T. is the man to pull it off.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 11:58 AM
link   
The photo looks like a still from the Alien vs Predator movie. . .
I share the sentiments with most of the above. If something like this was ever discovered for real I, for one, would think twice about ever revealing it to the authorities. You would be killed to death to keep you silent.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by daddyroo45

it wasnt even an expedition it was a sci-fi story

completely unknown to science and unidentifiable as either plants or animals, after discovering an underground cave while boring for ice cores. Six of the specimens seem to be badly damaged, the others uncannily pristine. The multiple highly-evolved features of the "fossils" are problematic: their strata location places them at a geologic period where no such features should have naturally evolved yet. Because of their resemblance to creatures of myth mentioned in the Necronomicon, they are dubbed the "Elder Things".
look familiar?

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Yup, here's the link to the story, it's well worth a read...

www.dagonbytes.com...

The exciting thing is, it never looked like the film was going to be made...

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Because these are art pieces and the story isn't a real news story.

The clue is here: "transdiciplinary team including Miskatonic Professors Lake (Biology) and Pabodie (Engineering)"

Miskatonic University is the imaginary university created by Lovecraft as the setting for some of his stories. The pictures are photoshop chops (the ice picture is actually a color negative of a glacier with what looks like a mayan temple pasted on top of it.

The "anomaly" is the Ankor Wat temples, turned blue and pasted against a "ground" picture.

...and so on and so forth.

If you read the comments, it talks about this being an April Fool's joke (and there's a reference to "Lamont Cranston", an old "pulp hero" called "The Shadow".)

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by noobfun

Only problem with that is the "creatures" depicted in H.P LoveCrafts Cuthulu "the mountains of madness" has very real over tones to the real necronicon or the Book of the black Earth, written by a mad arabic magician abdul azard. You can find a copy at any bookstore, but its not the real book. There were only two true books, one was lost the other is supposedly locked away in the vatican library. The so-called creatures dipicted could be aliens, or some other form of manfestations. Conjuring the Ancients from the mountains of Mashu wouldn't be my first chose, in fact if they do find something like that in the melting ice. I hope some fool scientist doesn't open the door.....::grins:: they'll probably end up as ..snacks.

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 10:24 PM
link   
looks like someone deleted the story...................

Oh my. There doesn't seem to be a page here anymore.

Sorry about that!

newsvine error.

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 03:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Eye of Horus
reply to post by noobfun

Only problem with that is the "creatures" depicted in H.P LoveCrafts Cuthulu "the mountains of madness" has very real over tones to the real necronicon or the Book of the black Earth, written by a mad arabic magician abdul azard. You can find a copy at any bookstore, but its not the real book. There were only two true books, one was lost the other is supposedly locked away in the vatican library. The so-called creatures dipicted could be aliens, or some other form of manfestations. Conjuring the Ancients from the mountains of Mashu wouldn't be my first chose, in fact if they do find something like that in the melting ice. I hope some fool scientist doesn't open the door.....::grins:: they'll probably end up as ..snacks.

uh hate to break it to you but hp lovecraft invented the necronomicon along with abdul alhazred, in fact the name abdul alhazred was an inside joke lovecraft used. he loved 1001 nights and made the name up as a child.
all those versions you find in bookstores? hacked up babylonian mythology with replaced names by the the author "simon". there is no "real" necronomicon, there are only fakes or fictional versions, if it was real it would drive anyone who reads it insane.
the great old ones are immortal alien gods made up by lovecraft and other writers, they don't exist.

wiki has lots on the book.necronomicon

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Your wrong saying ther is no necronomicon I've done a few of rituals in the past and they worked for me.

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Eye of Horus
Your wrong saying ther is no necronomicon I've done a few of rituals in the past and they worked for me.

i'm wrong because you believe in the book you and have done rituals from it? sorry to break it to you, but just because a book claims to be something doesn't make it is what it claims. the necronomicon was invented by h.p. lovecraft, before he invented it there was no necronomicon.

if you are able to do "rituals" that you claimed worked, it isn't because it is the necronomicon, it is because the author of the book copied a bunch of stuff from other occult texts and made up other parts. confirmation bias doesn't prove anything about the factual nature of the text, only that you like a lot of people believe that words in a book affect reality.

good story i suppose it works for horror writers, just not in the real world.
edit on 10-10-2010 by demongoat because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-10-2010 by demongoat because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Oh look, now the story has been removed.

Apparently the joke got old.

Still, if it had been real... I mean, that would have been very interesting. Possibly terrifying, but certainly interesting. I mean, Lovecraftian horrors?

top topics

join