It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giant Spider shown "eating" huge bird in web

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

'If a spider gets a bird, it's a very lucky spider.'

I would have to agree.. I think someone caught the bird and threw it into the web for a great photo op!
Chances of a bird flying into a web is very very low.
And only the lucky spiders catch a bird..
Hence I belive the spiders luck would come from an outside source.
However I could be wrong and the bird simply flew into the spiders web.

Either way this is nature, and Im a bit scared of spiders.. However I do not smash them and kill them.. I just can't. I catch every bug that I see crawling in my house and let it go outside.

Growing up as a boy gives me to many wicked memories from just being a boy and doing great harm to animals all over the board.
So to make up for my karma I never even kill an ant anymore..

I have special bottles I use to catch bugs, and other things I otherwise dont want in my home.. But I never never ever kill them..

I tend to think of it like this.. We as humans live on a planet.. And prehaps our soloar system is like in the cornor of something bigger that we dont see.. And something comes along and destories our whole planet just becasue we where in something elses home.
Hopefully the will of my compassion would play threw the universe, and if other beings see humans and are disgusted by us, they would release us and let us go else where.. Empathy is important to have for even the most ugly and scary critters on this earth...

Thanks for the OP and the pics... Creepy damn spider! And looks like a gaint Bannana spider we have here in florida..
But my room mate had pet spiders.. Golith bird eaters.
They are called Bird eaters, becasue yes they get big enough to eat birds, small cats, and or very small dogs..
And enough of them could very well kill a baby child..
You have to respect nature.. Otherwise it will end your life.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by spines

Do you REALLY think that spider is going to make a meal of that bird? It would take the rest of its life to consume the bird. Meanwhile the bird is suffering. The bird will rot before the spider will consume it.

Have you ever looked at a spiders mouth? It takes forever to eat a large insect, I know I have plenty here on my farm and watch them everyday in nature. If I see a fly or something like that in a web I watch the spider spin a web around it, if I see a bee trapped or a beautiful butterfly, I save it. Just my choices, not that the fly is less significant, just my freewill and consciousness at play.

The bird should have been saved.

EDIT to say, thanks Zy, I think you know me well enough to understand my point and I truly appreciate your views. I feel the same way as you, and am sorry about your pet and animal karma. I probably have human karma from past lives, lol...

[edit on 23-10-2008 by antar]

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

Certain species of spider eat bird all the time. Hell, some of them jump at birds and take them down mid-flight. Just because you don't think it should happen doesn't mean it shouldn't.

And fine, it is your choice to save them, but don't give us some rant about the cycle of nature when you admit to disturbing it by 'saving' a frog from a snake (snakes eat frogs all the time)...or a butterfly or bee from a spider web (they are eaten by spiders all the time as well).

The fly can remain a part of natures cycle, but the butterfly can't? You wan't to save creatures...start by not destroying the home/food supply of one because you feel the other deserves saving and let nature take it's natural course.

Hypocrite.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 12:43 PM
link   
LOl

Can't believe the people who are flipping over the bird...

It's a spider, a natural creature eating a bird, another natural creature...

It's web is natural, its poison is natural, the fangs are natural....

IT'S NATURE....

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by spines
reply to post by antar

Oh please, that has nothing to do with the spider eating the bird.

You are taking something out of the beautiful and natural cycle of life by 'saving' the bird with a 'miracle'.

Bravo spines, couldn't agree more. These bleeding heart posters should consider the ethics of natural history filmers. Besides, take a look at the bird's beak; it's clearly a finch. Business as usual.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Perhaps the reason some people are feeling sympathetic for the bird is because that is clearly not a spider but rather an evil spawn of satan. Seriously... that thing is the devil and probably lured the spider to its web by posing as a sexy seductive bird who wanted some loving.

If the bird had caught spider, would you save the spider?

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

Dude, you need to spend a little more time with nature if you are equating a "black snake" with a "deranged child murderer".

The Mountain Lion passed you up because he didn't want to eat something so far removed from nature.

Peace.

[edit on 23-10-2008 by TheRealDonPedros]

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Reminds me of the Far Side Cartoon...
Two spiders building a nest at the bottom of a kids slide...
The caption ---> “We pull this off we’ll eat like kings”...

The spider is as important - if not more - than the bird, in the great scheme of things.
“'Specially that one - you see that honker! Woohoo!
Nature knows what She’s doing - and it’s not nice to mess with Her.
In the case of that spider Ol Mother Nature has something to be proud of!

As for

You CANNOT be conscious and eat the slaughtered.

Well you best be! Raise it, love it, give it the best home you can, put it OUT with one shot, butcher it and don’t waste a thing - even the reproductive and poop parts - oh, and the lips - there’s always someone around who’ll make head cheese.

Anyone who says they don't use animal byproducts is delusional.
If you're going to use the *parts* (make-up, leather, soaps, pharmaceuticals, etc) you might as well honor it and use the meat too.

...taps...

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Attack me if you need to. It's 'all' my fault, everything, I am a failure because of my compassionate nature. But a bleeding heart? A hypocrite? Think again...

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

You are right in my estimation. If you kill as humanely as possible, utilize all you can and share with others less fortunate, I am all for it.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 01:58 PM
link   
National Geographic did an hour long show on these' Giant Bird Eating Spiders' about 20 years ago. My grandson was like 4 years old then and wanted one as a pet. We had to get him a tarantula finaly to make him stop asking. He didn't want anything else. He had it for 15 years. These spiders have some of the strongest webs. They can leap a few yards into the air and ambush birds in flight. Real amazing creatures! Ugly as he**, but amazing none the less!

Zindo

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by zysin5
reply to post by antar

I would have to agree.. I think someone caught the bird and threw it into the web for a great photo op!
Chances of a bird flying into a web is very very low.

Chances are high with these guys. Their webs are HUGE - meters across and are generally up high. They live out on oil-rigs too. These Orb spiders are common in the northern parts of Australia. Their webs are truly like nylon thread. If you walk quickly or ride into a web it indents your skin and pulls tightly. My friend's parents have a farm in that area so I know.

It's not uncommon for them to catch small birds like finches at all. Finches here are tiny. They also catch small bats sometimes. If the bird was alive and i saw it fly in I would pull it out, wouldn't touch it if it was dead.

Check out chicken eating spiders in Asia if you think Orbs are bad.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

No, you are a hypocrite for telling us all about the natural cycle of life being disturbed by slaughter houses (which I agree with), and then admitting to stealing a meal from a snake or spider (which I don't agree with).

You can't defend the natural cycle of things, and then free a frog from a snake because you feel it is the right thing to do. What is more within the natural cycle of things, a snake eating a frog, or someone coming by and forcing the frog from the snake?

You aren't a failure, not everything is 'all your fault', you are a hypocrite only because of the post going on about the natural cycle of things while admitting to interfering with the natural cycle when it suits your morals.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I like birds, but first, after the initial bite the bird is dead. The venom will kill it, probably fairly quickly with their high metabolisms.
Second, Animals eat each other to survive, or they eat grass and are fed upon.
That's the great circle of life. Anything you do to change it because you feel it's wrong breaks the cycle. Humans should not be so bold.

My grand parents had a bunch of these spiders on their farm, the webs are actually fairly beautiful. Most of the ones I saw had a yellow tint. The main reason why i have spider in my handle.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Hell in a handbasket.

You'd need to work for Barnum's circus to stand a chance of squishing that with your shoe

I don't mind if they're that size.
There's no way I'd miss that fricker from 50m away with a compound bow.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 02:53 PM
link   
HOLY COW!!!!!

"Nephila" redirects here. In Aramaic culture, the term Nephila specifically referred to the constellation and myth of Orion. For the hybrid creatures between angels and man referred to in the Bible, see Nephilim. "Banana spider" redirects here. For the highly venomous spiders of the genus Phoneutria, see Brazilian wandering spider. Golden silk orb-weaver Nephila clavipes Nephila clavipes Scientific classification Kingdom: Animalia Phylum: Arthropoda Class: Arachnida Order: Araneae Suborder: Araneomorphae Family: Nephilidae Genus: Nephila Leach, 1815 Diversity 27 species Species N. antipodiana N. clavata N. clavipes N. edulis N. inaurata N. pilipes N. plumipes N. senegalensis many more The golden silk orb-weavers (genus Nephila) are a genus of spiders noted for the impressive webs they weave. Nephila consists of numerous individual species found around the world. They are also commonly called golden orb-weavers, giant wood spiders or banana spiders. In North America, the golden silk orb-weavers (see also Nephila clavipes) are sometimes referred to as writing spiders due to occasional zigzag patterns (stabilimenta) built into their webs, though these occur much more frequently in the webs of Argiope, such as the St Andrew's Cross spider. Contents [hide]

en.wikipedia.org...

What a crazy spider!!!

Nice catch

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Wow. I am going to have nightmares now.
Seriously.... just.... wow! I hope I never see a big spider like that face to face! That would be pretty scary... a bit more than just looking at a picture.

[edit on 23-10-2008 by GrayFox]

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 05:31 PM
link   
wow that's a big sucker......
How in the heck does that person sleep at knight knowing about that monster

but it is a cool looking spider.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 05:43 PM
link   
i would have a damn heart attack if i walked past a tree and seen that. All creatures are equal and should be treated as such but i would throw a hand grenade at that tree to hell with hippy love that thing must go.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Um that was a huge spider. they didnt see it in the tree before. I would have sent someone out there to kill that huge spider if it was in my Garden. I have arachnophobia really bad. Dude just little ones freak me out.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join