It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Game release delayed amid fears of offense

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by DirtyHarry
reply to post by Rook1545

clearly a marketing ploy, but with the recall and the "alteration" of the music, it wont be in the game anymore. i dont not know how this became an issue or anything, but was it noticed by a muslim group and did they complain about it to make sony recall the game? what was the cause of this?

also, does the inclusion of the two lines to the song change the song in its entirety? are the lines word of wisdom or is it along the lines of "death to america"?

for it to be recalled i would think that it is closer to the latter, and for it to become such a big deal is retarded.

kids need words of wisdom, it makes them a more rational person, more morals so to speak. do unto others and the like

Nope on all accounts. The Muslims said it SHOULD stay since it exposed people to their culture.

The publisher (I don't think it was Sony) pulled it because they didn't want to cause an uproar

Here is what the publisher said about it:

SCEE has supplied us with the official statement on the situation regarding LittleBigPlanet... During the review process prior to the release of LittleBigPlanet, it has been brought to our attention that one of the background music tracks licensed from a record label for use in the game contains two expressions that can be found in the Qur'an. We have taken immediate action to rectify this and we sincerely apologise for any offence that this may have caused.

Taken from Gamespy article.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 10:36 AM
link   
If this was a marketing play by Sony someone forgot to tell Media Molecule. I know for a fact that it wasn't - I knew the day my partner called me from work and said people were freaking out that Sony was going recall the discs - Not good for Sony, not good for MM but great for my partner who has his work extended due to the recall. You can't blame Sony, this game is the biggest game for them on the PS3 - This is the game that could move lots of their consoles for Christmas, because despite the economic downturn people are still spending lots of money on gaming.

The game might look cartoony and Mario like but trust me it has the potential to be very adult and I suspect that Sony will have a hell of a time policing the flying penises that are sure to flood cyberspace once people get their hands the game.

My flying penis level will be be soooo cool!

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by vox2442

yes but this instance is from the use of a backdrop...

the new topic is about a song that there is no general outrage from the use of it, its actually condoned! (sp?)

i think its all a bunch of malarky really. this isnt somethin that deserves more than 3 pages of discussion, if that

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 05:59 PM
link   
I'd just be like: "Look, you proselytising bunch of f***s, you put it out in the public domain, so we're gonna do what the hell we like with it!" to all and sundry. Especially the sundry.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by DirtyHarry
reply to post by vox2442

yes but this instance is from the use of a backdrop...

the new topic is about a song that there is no general outrage from the use of it, its actually condoned! (sp?)

No, it's the same thing.

Sony put out a video game that got some religious people angry (i.e. Church of England).

It cost them sales, and it was a public relations nightmare.

They decided to avoid going down that road again, by listening to what their beta testers had to say.

If anyone's to blame, it's the Church of England for demanding a public apology from Sony - and perhaps Sony for caving in to that pressure and giving it.

Once that case ran it's course, the precedent was set. Sony ran the risk with this game of being (a) accused of playing to double standards by Muslims if the game had been released, and (b) being called out by the C of E for being naughty boys, offering hollow apologies and generally not having learned their lesson.

They seem to have chosen the lesser of two public relations disasters.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join