It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK - Gun and Knife crime higher than official figures

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 07:39 AM
link   

The true scale of the knife epidemic is much worse than Government statistics show, a Sunday Telegraph investigation has found.

Police figures released under the Freedom of Information Act reveal that forces in England and Wales are on course to record a total of 38,000 serious knife crimes this year – more than 100 a day.

Source

The true level of gun crime is far higher than the Government admits in official statistics, it can be revealed.

Data provided to The Sunday Telegraph by nearly every police force in England and Wales, under freedom of information laws, show that the number of firearms incidents dealt with by officers annually is 60 per cent higher than figures stated by the Home Office.

Source

100 serious knife crimes a day? There are about 60.7 million people in the UK. That's twice as many people as California so I guess it's not all that bad.

Now I understand why so many UK folks think we're running our of space and need population control. Their island is shrinking and living on top of each other is apparently causing them to kill with anything they an get their hands on.

I'm going to look for crime population density comparisons to see what state or city in the US these numbers come close to.

If only they made guns and knives illegal. Oh, wait. My bad.

Okay, the UK has a pop density of 246 persons / km2 and California with twice the population has a density of 90 persons / km2. The most densely population state in the US is New Jersey with 450 persons / km2 and New Jersey has its share of crime (Camden being a regular at the top of the murder list) but I still dont know how it compares to the UK.

[edit on 23-10-2008 by thisguyrighthere]

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 07:59 AM
link   
This story further illustrates the point that a Govt. seizure of firearms only removes the weapons from the hands of law abiding citizens who have registered their weapons or who follow the rule of the law. The thieves in the world certainly do not fall into either of those categories. They keep their weapons and use them against a now defenseless population.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 10:00 AM
link   
The laws in this country are so bizarre that I don't think anyone can make any sense of them. As it stands now, all concealed weapons are illegal. However, every yob, thief and his mate are carrying so ordinary kids feel they have to too just to protect themselves. Even I carry a baton if I'm out late at night. If it comes down to getting in trouble with the police or becoming a victim of some headcase with a knife I know which one I prefer. Of course, if the police did their job properly there would be no need for anyone to protect themselves but unfortunately the police only become interested after some poor sod has been slashed, stabbed or ends up on a trolley in the morgue.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

You are comparing apples with oranges. There have not, and never were gun shops on every street corner or in every town in the UK. That means the number of guns in Britain is absolutely minimal compared to, say, the US. Letting people own guns would make it trivial for a criminal to get one, and we'd then all have to be armed to even survive. Now, when the cops find any handgun or unregistered weapon (you still can have guns in the UK, just not handguns), they are removed. Imports of firearms are closely monitored, so they rarely (if ever) end up in the hands of criminals. Also the regulations regarding how weapons are stored in people's houses are much stricter in the UK than in, say, the US.

The pandora's box of gun ownership has not been opened in the UK, unlike in the US, where it's too late to do anything about the rampant homicide.

At least try to put your NRA-mouth-frothing to one side and discuss this like a rational adult. Just try. The 'thieves' you talk about don't have weapons to keep, as they never had them in any numbers to begin with. Brits can't just walk to their nearest sporting goods store and buy a gun. And most Brits are happy with that. Just look at how likely Americans are to die by gunfire than Brits.

reply to post by thisguyrighthere

I'd wager crime, especially violent crime, is more to do with poverty than lack of space.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by dave420

Aside from drug dealing and the fighting that goes along with territory and supply how is stabbing a person benefit one financially? Are all of these (or a great number) violent attacks robberies? The typical 'tough guy' garbage that I suspect the 'yob' set is known for doesnt exactly translate to profit.

new topics

top topics

join