It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mysterious "Dead Water" Effect Caught On Film

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 05:06 AM
link   

Mysterious "Dead Water" Effect Caught On Film

www.newscient ist.com

1893, Norwegian explorer Fridtjof Nansen and his ship Fram were victims of a strange phenomenon as he sailed past the Nordenskiöld Archipelago, north of Siberia.

Nansen wrote afterwards: "Fram appeared to be held back, as if by some mysterious force, and she did not always answer the helm … We made loops in our course, turned sometimes right around, tried all sorts of antics to get clear of it, but to very little purpose."

Nansen called the effect "dead water", reporting that it slowed....
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 05:06 AM
link   
This is a truly interesting phenomenon, and one which has been amongst Sea faring lore ever since man began sailing the high seas. Scientists have for the very first time, been able to replicate what they believe represents the true cause behind this "Mysterious Force". It involves the dilution of Sea Water through Glacial run-off, and the progress of Vessel induced submerged waves. Go ahead and visit the link to witness a video of the test.

www.newscient ist.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 05:36 AM
link   
It'd be cool if you actually mentioned what the effect exactly is in your post.

line 2

-

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 06:03 AM
link   
I have heard the stories before that a sea going ship entering an area of fresh water has had all sorts of troubles. The video on that link does a pretty good job of explaining things. Although I also think there is some folk lore of ships disappearing for no apparent reason, on reason is a fresh water pocket which is less dense and thus does not support the ship as well.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 06:04 AM
link   
reply to post by prevenge

Well he did link a video.

I think that might show the effect

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 06:19 AM
link   
I heard that this effect underwater, can cause a Submarine to drop, like an airplane drops when it hits certain types air pockets and turbulence in flight.

If you fly often you will know what i man, airplanes have been known to plummet thousands of feet in a few seconds.

Because of the density of the water, hitting pockets of fresh water can cause the Submarine to drop like a stone because the vessels are trimmed for the salt water, remove the salt and you become less buoyant.

I read a report on an underwater sink hole which was full of fresh water, as the Submarine passed through it, the ballast had to be quickly altered, to stop it dropping into the sink hole.

Now the report i rad mentioned the hole and the fresh water, the Submarine story was passed through word of mouth, so cant say 100% if it was right, does sound like it could be related though to the same anomaly?

Has anyone else heard of this happening?

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Very interesting article. I'm curious as to how large these dead water areas can grow. This is part of the theory on how to stop the Gulf Stream with diluted salt water.

Now part of the theory has been confirmed, so I guess now it just a matter of scale to make things stop or be altered.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Fascinating article. I have never heard of this fresh water phenomenon
before. I have seen video and read reports on the effects of a large sea bed release of methane gas. Obviously, the large release of gas destroys the displacement factor of the ships and they sink like stones. This is one theory behind the disappearance of ships in the Bermuda Triangle. Good find.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Good article, I assume the effect will be recurring if you pass through a large enough area of mixed water conditions like this? Would a similar thing happen when you have a pronounced temperature difference between layers (thermocline?)?

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lucid Lunacy
reply to post by prevenge

Well he did link a video.

I think that might show the effect

clever and quick thinking there, Loony.
yeah I noticed the link.

It just erks me when people don't explain exactly what it is they're linking to, where your only choice is to visit their supplied link to find out.

regardless... no not irregardless.. because irregardless is not a word, like so many think it is..

regardless.

um...

cool link.

-
-

top topics

join