It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This is Terrible!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 03:04 AM
link   
news.yahoo.com...

I was reading online and noticed this article.

2.7 Million North Korean could starve by the end of this month?

This is worrisome, because in the face of this type of crisis, if no aid were to come, there's only a few other options left for them to take and one of those options is war.

What do you guys think about this?

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 03:06 AM
link   
Operation Korean Freedom

It is obvious we must bomb all targets to save the population. It has worked so well elsewhere.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 03:10 AM
link   
This is bad. Not from the stand point of potential war but from the humanitarian side of things. WOW I had no idea it was that bad in NK.

Now that our (cough) esteemed leaders have screwed things up so royally, they could a) print a few more millions and help in that at this point we are doomed as well or b) do nothing.

Unfortunately they will probably choose B. I am sorry. I wish I had 3 wishes because one of them would be to end all suffering.

Is there a charity that is more reputable than others that money can be sent to? My 20.00 might not do a lot but every little bit helps.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 03:24 AM
link   
That's not true, Plucky.

Notice I said an option NK could take would be to start a war - not the US. The SK Government has an aid package they're looking into right now that involves sending food to help out with the crisis.

I don't think we'd start a preemptive bombing on NK because their people are starving. lol

[edit on 23-10-2008 by mf_luder]

[edit on 23-10-2008 by mf_luder]

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 03:53 AM
link   
reply to post by mf_luder

vietnam started becasue a boat wasnt sunk by a none existant vietcong machine gun that didnt shoot it till it sunk and none of this took place in the gulf of petomkin(spelling)

if you can start a war over somthing that never happened i dont see why starving people isnt a good reason in comparrison

think of the spin "the more we kill the further the food goes" "every bomb we dro saves people from starvation"

somthing should be done but like all good casues in the world to little to late i fear

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 06:38 AM
link   
reply to post by noobfun

There's no chance of the US starting a war with North Korea, even though starving peasants are our usual targets. There's no oil in North Korea.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 01:11 PM
link   
I won't hesitate to point out that the majority of the 2.7 million who face starvation are children under 10.

These people are part of an experiment in deprivation, it appears. Their 'citizens' population has lost all vigor and they are physically shorter and have apparently less mental acuity than the global norm.

The shame of it is, we hold nutritional support over their head like a carrot on a stick. The one's starving aren't making the decisions.

Like most of us, they are only to 'witness' their government's will; not participate in it.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
I won't hesitate to point out that the majority of the 2.7 million who face starvation are children under 10.

These people are part of an experiment in deprivation, it appears. Their 'citizens' population has lost all vigor and they are physically shorter and have apparently less mental acuity than the global norm.

The shame of it is, we hold nutritional support over their head like a carrot on a stick. The one's starving aren't making the decisions.

Like most of us, they are only to 'witness' their government's will; not participate in it.

so true, i watched a documentary where the children were taught to praise their leader yet the school was well furnished and the students were dressed nicely etc.etc.

its funny how we never hear about these things till its to late

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Maxmars,
I can tell you now that people are eating tree bark and small river rodents. Fishing is also a huge area where desperate people are turning to. However, the government crack down and the permit price is hugely far more than an average person can ever hope to afford.
Rationing is in full force - all foods are from gov controlled warehouse style operations and the population is dying on their feet.

All in all, NK is in a very, very bad way and the Chinese border is awash with refugees at the moment desperate to get INTO china.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 01:21 PM
link   
www.robpongi.com...

Now that vid is scary stuff. Its taken within the government district where all the elite live and work. Robots to the girl.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 01:24 PM
link   
What's really funny is that everyone here makes this sound like something new and unique to NK.

They are always starving! Didn't they say a few years ago that the growth of their children has been stunted due to bad nutrition?

Part of the deal for them to close down their nukes is the US giving them aid.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 01:32 PM
link   
This is what happens when people let government run their country. They are spending all that money for food on nukes and missiles instead of taking care of their own. It's a sad situation for those who will starve. Let's see; Barrack Obama & John McCain has raised millions for their campaigns and could do the right thing and feed these people with it but I don't think that will happen. Humans? Just don't know if we'll make it.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by jerico65

Exactly. I think it needs to be reported and the numbers are beyond description. This is a horror revisited on NK every year, some worse than others. It is also simplistic to say that we are responsible due to economic sanctions; NK has received and do receive aid; they are the ones who determine how much and for whom. China, imo, considering the proximity, should be taking the lead of helping their neighbor. This is the most isolated regime in the world.

ColoradoJens

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 02:21 PM
link   
all this is, is a plore to get the peoples riled up, to get the war machine going again. that mccain is the one who will win the election. our govt will make sure of that and so will the powers at be to say anything to get you to beleive in. scare tactics. this is so easy to see.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Honestly, North Korea is getting, just like my beloved America,just what it has asked for. You cannot be unwaivering in stringent stances and not expect to suffer the consequences.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Ill be ordering my French fries with a side of guilt please... I think I hate knowing people are starving anywhere. This sucks. It makes me want to go on a food strike. I just dont understand wtf peoples problems are that in the year 2008 there are still people who go hungry at all anywhere. These are our brothers and sisters! I dont know what I can do, and that makes me sad.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by estrip
all this is, is a plore to get the peoples riled up, to get the war machine going again. that mccain is the one who will win the election. our govt will make sure of that and so will the powers at be to say anything to get you to beleive in. scare tactics. this is so easy to see.

So, you're saying that the PTB are saying that the NKs are starving so that when McCain is president, we'll start a war with them?

Hang on just a second; I think my brain just crashed trying to make sense of that.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 11:49 PM
link   
That really doesn't make much sense to me, either. I noticed when I first posted a lot of the initial posts were about the US starting another war.

Whoa, people. Slow down.

First of all, the US is stationed in South Korea to provide the South Koreans with intelligence and support in the case North Korea does start a war. As of right now, there's no intention of war from the US against NK.

NK can't run their own country, so their people are starving. This C - A - N - N - O - T be blamed on the US. You always hear the screaming and hollering about how the US needs to stay out of other country's business, well NK is a perfect example of that very situation.

I don't advocate a war against NK by any means. The death toll and chaos that would ensue would be more than the peninsula could handle.

My post is about the fact the citizens (people like you and me) are dying because their defunct government can't manage resources such as food and basic necessities. Now, one of the possible actions NK may take in the face of such a crisis is to make a military action against SK. That's something else I said. That's an option that I hope doesn't occur.

That's all I was saying.

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 07:58 AM
link   
the point of my post was not in anyway advocating war either just highlighting the rediculousness of korea the great enemy we should all fear

yes nkoreas leadership could be classed as a little unhinged but so can many many goverments and did not help its countrys cause in world politics but villify a whole nation for a handful of peoples actions is simply mindbogglingly wrong

the fault does not lie with america for this, the fault lies in failings within the U.N. system and for every nation that signed onto trade embargoes agaisnt N.Korea limiting food fuel medical supplies and what could be considered other generally needed supplies

yes dont sell them weapons or chemicals/materials to make weapons but food?medicine?

the failings in the U.N. alongside failings in the N.Korean goverment to look after thier own people on a large scale instead of all resources being alotted to the few have brought about this crisis its not new its been happening for years and happens yearly in many countries all over the world both those we have demonified and those we call friend or in many many cases seem to ignore

its time to put away the politics and generalisations that go with it and simply help a man thats in need for no reason other then he is in need and expect nothing in return

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 08:41 AM
link   
the ladies who I used to go to and get my nails done where from north Korea. At several times these other ladies that where to go and administer humanitarian aid where told by them not to let the Government take the aid stuffs because if they did they would keep it for the military people and "their" families not allowing any of it to go to the people who where starving and/or down and out. I heard this many times over the years and began to wonder why ? They where even bothering to do the mission if they knew that everything was going to be taken and given to the military. I got up the guts one day to ask and I was told that sooner or later our government (USA) would get tired of all the aid being taken and do something about it. Looks to me like they where wrong.

new topics

top topics

join