It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Air smells like strong rotten Eggs!!!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 12:57 AM
link   
omg it smells like rotten eggs outside...like...
really really bad.....I noticed it about a half hour ago
and its so bad outside that now the whole inside of the
house smells of it too(although not near as bad as outside...

sulfur? hydrogen sulfide,natural gas,propane????

I`m a little freaked out.....lol.......

I`m just south of Ottawa canada and in farm land......

Wtf is it?

[edit on 23-10-2008 by Maya432]

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 01:08 AM
link   
Reading your title, my first thought was "sulfur". It could be a number of things, but my best guess is a leak at a nearby factory or plant.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Also, I wasn`t sure where to post this....

I just came across this while googleling "rotten egg smell"

probably not related though.....but who knows

your gonna hate me for this but i can`t stay up and continue this
conversation..
will have to take it back up tomorrow after work or mabey on break..

thats if I can sleep now...... but I really gotta......sigh....

www.ontariotenants.ca...

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 02:17 AM
link   
There may be a sewer leak.

Either way, don't stay in the area. Methane gases can permanently destroy your sense of smell, from over exposure.

It would be better to call your local fire department to notify them, or your sewage plant. Either will investigate.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 05:10 AM
link   
Actually, which may be of a surprise to a lot of you on here, fresh air smells foul! I once spent over 14 weeks dived on a nuclear submarine living on manufactured air - as pure as you can get. Once we surfaced and opened the hatch and blew through the outside air internally it made dozens of people physically sick - it really is that gross a smell but I guess as we're born into it we get used to it.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 05:43 AM
link   
It sounds like your near a pulp mill venting it's scrubbers. North BC, you get used to it

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 05:56 AM
link   
it's prob. NATURAL gas leak.

You can call your local gas co. or call the fire department to check it out.

They add this "egg smell" to natural gas to help when there are leaks to detect....if there was no stinky smell....you would not smell the gas and it could build up without anyone noticing.

the GAS man

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 06:06 AM
link   
It could be a gas leak.

They put this "egg smell" in natural gas, to help detect leaks.

Call your local gas co. and/or fire department to come and check it out and to see if there is a leak.

Y'r Canadian friend,
Sven

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 06:48 AM
link   
What svenglezz said, best take a look around could be a large leak and dangerous.

Roper

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 07:00 AM
link   
the rotten egg smell is a chemical addative in natural gas pipelines, and transports (trucks). Call your utilities company and they will tell you if there is a leak if they dont know tell them and they will send out a truck that has a monitor on it. We have them here in california because we have so many earthquakes. We can even buy hand held ones now because they dont have as many workers as they used to due to the economy here.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maya432
omg it smells like rotten eggs outside...like...
really really bad.....I noticed it about a half hour ago
and its so bad outside that now the whole inside of the
house smells of it too(although not near as bad as outside.../quote]

Are you new to the area? Could it be that they're manuring in your area? Last weekend I stopped at a chip truck in the Kawarthas, and the smell could have knocked a buzzard of a xxxx-wagon (to quote Carlin).

Ate the chips, though.

But follow up on that gas thing. Incidently, y'all, we got 2 inches of snow. Winter's a-comin'!

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Rotted eggs smell is familiar to Hydrogen Sulfide. A very small amount can be detected by the nose while a larger odor will be just a brief whiff of odor then no odor as the odor overwhelms the senses and "burns" them out. A large enough exposure, and you can suffocate without realizing you are being killed by a toxic gas.

In you case, it could be something as simple as spreading old compost on fields or a release of gas from a very local factory. If you're out in the open with some wind moving, I wouldn't be too concerned. If I was in a narrow valley with high sides and no wind, I'd contact authorities as the gas is heavier than air.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Yey, i have that too, and i am in london. Last week doing excercise in the garden i smelt it too, after, and had a strong pain in my heart area.

Only last month i have smelt it. Smells horrible.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Any neighbors using commercial drain cleaners on exterior drains (gutter/footer/floor drains.)??

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 08:13 AM
link   
oh POO

well, this is rather comical....
it turns out that it is the liquid fertilizer(pig manure)
that the farmers spray around here.

at least thats what my friend thinks.
he is from this area and I am new to this farm country.

I have smelt the awful pig juice before....but this is the first time that it smelt like rotten eggs...........
sorry for the panic.......

[edit on 23-10-2008 by Maya432]

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maya432
oh POO...I am new to this farm country.

Welcome to the sticks! Of course that might have been extra manure left over from the federal election as well...

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Can't hurt to call your local gas. co.

Better safe.... "Like a pig in ****" then dead

The Gas Co. would come out to inspect with no cost to you.
Sven

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 08:40 AM
link   
I was H2S certified years ago when I worked on the Oil rigs if you can smell it you are OK, it is when you cannot smell it you are in trouble, it could be comming from many different sources, sewer, rotten vegitation, farmers are using different chemicals as well, any pig or chicken farmers around?

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 08:46 AM
link   
First thing I would check into is the natural gas company.

Ok. The smell of steak in outer space, (rotten) eggs down here. Anyone happen to smell toast?

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 09:09 AM
link   
this smell has been found numerous times linked with alien activity...apparently certain aliens smell like that..

top topics

<<   2 >>

join