It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ReadiStep, SAT for your 8th grader

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 11:43 PM
link   
I just came across this interesting piece of information about a new testing system for 8th graders named Readistep.

Amid growing challenges to its role as the pre-eminent force in college admissions, the College Board on Wednesday unveiled a new test that it said would help prepare eighth graders for rigorous high school courses and college.

The test, which will be available to schools next fall, is intended only for assessment and instructional purposes and has nothing to do with college admissions, College Board officials said.

“This is not at all a pre-pre-pre SAT,” Lee Jones, a College Board vice president, said at a news conference. “It’s a diagnostic tool to provide information about students’ strengths and weaknesses.”

nytimes

Can an 8th grader spell "presssure?"

FairTest Public Education Director Robert Schaeffer asked, “Who needs yet another pre-college standardized exam when there is already a pre-SAT and the SAT test itself? In addition, students are tested every year in third through eighth grade due to federal “No Child Left Behind” mandates. The new exam will only accelerate the college admissions ‘arms race’ and push it down onto ever younger children.”

fairtest.org

A little early to categorize our children, don't you think?

[edit on 10/23/2008 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 12:44 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 12:58 AM
link   
There are already so many standardized tests pushed upon kids, it would be superfluous (to say the least) to add yet another one. This is time and money that would be better spent to improve the curriculum itself.

A very lucrative business has been created to draw on student anxiety toward the PSAT and SAT, a business that rakes in millions of dollars each year by offering test prep. I assume this business will be able to substantially expand if a new test is added to the mix. Will this test be the SAT of prep school admission? Will eighth graders be feeling the same stress seniors now face? This is absurdly irresponsible and, IMO, pointless.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 02:13 AM
link   
The only way I could see this really affecting anybody is if alot of Academically talented high schools start adopting this as part of their acceptance criteria. Considering the quantum leap from 8th grade to high school senior level post people should make an 8th grade SAT is absurd.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by FSBlueApocalypse

It is absurd.
Yet competitive and misguided parents will bite at this worm and have their kids take this test just out of their own insecurities and egos.

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by paperplanes
Will this test be the SAT of prep school admission? Will eighth graders be feeling the same stress seniors now face? This is absurdly irresponsible and, IMO, pointless.

I believe that is their long term plan.
We're slowly but surely getting to Gattaca.

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 12:41 AM
link   
I give the finger to the college board.
I got a 2200 on the new SAT with no prep books or classes or any of that BS.

Granted, I did drop out of UW freshman year.. but let's just ignore that.

It is confusing as to why they are so intent on giving all these tests. Is it just a money maker for them or what?

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog

Originally posted by paperplanes
Will this test be the SAT of prep school admission? Will eighth graders be feeling the same stress seniors now face? This is absurdly irresponsible and, IMO, pointless.

I believe that is their long term plan.
We're slowly but surely getting to Gattaca.

Alot of prep and academically talented schools already use some form of standardized tests to determine admission. The school I went to gets between 3,000-4,000 applicants a year and only admits a freshmen class of 300.

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gamechanger
I give the finger to the college board.
I got a 2200 on the new SAT with no prep books or classes or any of that BS.

Granted, I did drop out of UW freshman year.. but let's just ignore that.

It is confusing as to why they are so intent on giving all these tests. Is it just a money maker for them or what?

Yeah, the College Board has expanded greatly in recent years. They've sold alot of school boards on the AP program, and sadly, AP has gone south because of it. Since so many school boards now pay for it, they stick in any teacher willing to teach it because it looks good on paper. Those were running $75 a pop when I was in high school, not sure what they are now.

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 02:33 AM
link   
Is the SSAT (Secondary School Admissions Test) still around? That's what i had to take back in the 1980s when I applied to private high schools.

I think it was put out by the same people who do the SAT, but maybe not.

I don't put much stock in that sort of test as a measure of intelligence, but I will say that having gone through the process that many times made the SATs a breeze for me. I think the problem will be if schools start to gear curricula to the new tests, the way so many have towards all the other standardized tests out there.

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 09:50 AM
link   
We need standardized testing, it separates the boys from the men.

Right now grade inflation is so damn high in 99% of the schools in America simply because the schools want more money from the state. Doing this will only dumb down the children even more and no one will pass standardized tests like the SAT.

Survival of the fittest, not everyone would benefit the future by producing children.

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by die_another_day
We need standardized testing, it separates the boys from the men.

Right now grade inflation is so damn high in 99% of the schools in America simply because the schools want more money from the state. Doing this will only dumb down the children even more and no one will pass standardized tests like the SAT.

Survival of the fittest, not everyone would benefit the future by producing children.

Yeah, I think standardized testing is a good thing. But we need to get teachers out of the habit of "Teaching the test" and teaching the students the actual skills. My cousin is in 5th grade and all they do is take practice exams for the standardized test in Florida, the FCAT.

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 07:42 PM
link   
I'm in Florida, my high school had a 49% passing rate on the FCAT which is a arbitrary score of 2 which in my opinion is equivalent to getting 5% of the questions on the SAT right.

I swear, if people can't even do this test right, what can they do?

new topics

top topics

join