It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
I could tell where on u2u if you wanna know.
If you want to pursue freelance writing then I would highly recommend that watch the movie Factotum. It's based on the work of Charles Bukowski, it may give you a taste of what you're in for if you want to really be a writer.
Originally posted by AlexG141989
I just got paid for my first job...
I edited a college student's Diversity Statement
Way to go on landing your first gig!
I've been a writer for over 15 years.
I quit my day job four years ago after finally earning enough money to go full time as a freelancer and I've never looked back. These days I have my own business as a writer, editor, website publisher, website manager and consultant.
If I could give you any advice, it would be:
1. Never sell yourself short - set your prices and stick to them.
2. Network with other freelancers to learn everything you can about the business.
3. Avoid scams - they're everywhere.
4. Remember your reputation is at stake, so where you write determines who you are at the time.
5. Write what you know - you can only fake it for so long.
I currently write for a lot of online websites and I'm the editor of a few as well, so I hire freelancers from time to time. Through my writing, I've met and interviewed celebrities, been interviewed myself for books, articles and on NPR and I've written for online, print and other forms of media.
I wish you great success. Feel free to U2U me anytime.