It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rice cites education as top concern

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Rice cites education as top concern

news.yahoo.com

LONG BEACH, California (Reuters) – Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice said on Wednesday that failing public schools pose her greatest national security concern, one she warned could undermine the United States' ability to lead and to compete in a global economy.

Equal access to educational opportunities, she said, also lies at the heart of one of the nation's most important core values -- the belief in the United States as a true meritocracy.

Rice, a Stanford University professor before joining the Bush administration, spoke at a conference of women organized by former TV journalist Maria Shriver, the wife of California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Finally! Some one, (by the way, I do not like her) who at least had the courage to come up and say that. I am a strong proponent of public education and informer that the public school system is failing.

I feel that if more people push, we can start a education trend here in America. It is shown that if she even knows it, and admits it, we can do something.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by truth_seeker3

sadly unless the entire system is uprooted and redesigned by brilliant minds with input from ''everyone'' then there will be no effective change that would make the school system any better.

This education system was designed to pump out zombies and reward them for their ability to regurgitate on command and to obey without asking questions.

There is no pertinent education going on in any public school. Subjugation and indoctrination is whats on the menu for the droves of young impressionable minds.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Wthout discipline there can be no learning. Without appropriate parental input there can be no discipline.
Every parent, in this day and age, thinks their child can do no wrong. The teacher, the school, is always at fault.
When I was growing up, in the 50's and 60's, if you got in trouble at school, then you were in trouble when you got home.
We have to remember that every kid is not mama's little angel. Kids get in trouble, they misbehave, or they just don't get it!
Parents have to give the school permission to educate their kids. (By educate, I mean teach them to THINK!)
If it were up to me, I would prefer home schooling, but evey parent isn't cut out to teach school subjects. But they can teach their kids how to live.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 10:15 PM
link   
I'm glad she stood up and said what needs to be said and she is right in every aspect as far as her comments and concerns go for this issue.

What needs to happen is getting rid of the teachers unions, 9 times out 10 if a teacher is up to get fired then she needs to get fired. Schools are one things that do not need to be unionized.

Beyond that I'm at a lost as what to do.

top topics

join