It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Reveals Size of Terrorist Watch List

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 08:41 PM
link   
www.cnn.com...

I was reading the news a few minutes ago and saw this. Knowing some of the posts I've seen in the past, I wonder if the size they report fits what some of the theories have been.

Are they lying?

Who knows.... but I think it's interesting they finally came out with some numbers on it.

What are your thoughts?

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 08:44 PM
link   
It's a "hey, its us, the people you 'watch out' for you and we'd just like to say that we are going a good job and, oh yea, we are looking after your nanna...." kind of lines.

Puh-lease! plucky is not easily fooled!

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 09:07 PM
link   
What I find particularly interesting in this story is the fact that now the GOVERNMENT is going to "match" flight names to watchlists themselves.

Just more spying, that is all. It is all designed to make you feel like you are under their thumb. No different than the warrantless wiretapping program.

Anybody catch the NSA employee on the CBS (?) evening news the other night? Everyone already knows they are spying on citizens, now they are being completely up front about it. The NSA employee was talking about how, back at the office, they would listen in and chuckle about the phone sex they were listening to!

This is a Gestapo tactic.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 10:05 PM
link   
I think it's shorter because quite a few people have been removed over the past 2 years - it was indeed larger. They're telling a little lie if they're saying it was always at that small.

I was on the FBI watch list between 2002-2004. I only found out I was on it after enquiring as to why the check-in process was taking a lot longer than before. When I was told that I was on the list, the person tried to made it seem OK because she then added 'a lot of people are on that list.' I took that to mean 'a lot of American citizens like myself.'

I only assume I was placed on the list because I moved to Australia just before 9/11, and married a girl with Arabic ethnicity. It just proved to me my government was ignorant, prone to making assumptions, and was unashamedly racist.

[edit on 22/10/08 by Evasius]

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 12:11 AM
link   
I'm really sorry to hear that.

There are truly some beautiful arab women - Iraqi and others who would make excellent spouses in a free society. I can't believe they put you on a watch list for having that relation, though.

Wow.

Guess I didn't realize it was getting that bad. God only knows what kind of list I'm on. I still email a couple of Iraqi guys I worked with in OIF 1 and 5.

Man.

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 05:15 AM
link   
If you look at the article on CNN the number of names on the list doesn't actually correspond to the number of people who will be searched/stopped as people with "similar" names to the ones on the list will often be mistaken for people who are completly innocent (although I have no doubt that the vast majority of people on the list are innocent). This probably means that at least 20,000 people will be stopped and probably more.

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 05:20 AM
link   
This must have to do with the creation of the secret "Terrorist Alert List", containing information on those who aren't yet on the "Terrorist Watch List", or "No Fly List", but might soon be someday.... how many are on that?

... Come on ATS, 18.5K? Try harder!

new topics

top topics

join