It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Voting Pro-Abortion Called Cooperation In Evil.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

There seems to be a movement to dismiss anything proposed by religion outright. But religions are made up of people, and those people have as much right to express their opinions as anyone. You may disagree with their reasoning, but they may also disagree with yours. In the end, all people must be allowed to state their views, or none of us are truly free. That includes Christians, Muslims, atheists, Hindu, Buddhists, and even Jews.

Very true.
But,to me,it sounds wrong to say that by voting for someone who is for abortion,gay marriage,cloning etc is cooperating with/supporting evil.
It smacks too much of the olden days when religions,especially the Catholic faith,controlled people by telling them they were gonna be damned for eternity etc if they didn't do what the church leader said.

Oh, how easily we can devalue life...

Aye.
I wasn't trying to justify their actions btw,i was just giving you the reason they give.

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by jakyll

But,to me,it sounds wrong to say that by voting for someone who is for abortion,gay marriage,cloning etc is cooperating with/supporting evil.
It smacks too much of the olden days when religions,especially the Catholic faith,controlled people by telling them they were gonna be damned for eternity etc if they didn't do what the church leader said.

I can understand that attitude. After all, there was a point in our history where the church was the government as well, and we all know how that turned out. That's why, in the US at least, we have a right to freedom of religion spelled out in the Constitution. That right is not only there to protect those who wish to worship in their own way (or not at all), but also to prevent any religion form being recognized officially as 'the' religion of the US.

That said, there are positions that I consider as 'evil'... positions that I believe would harm one segment of the population, or policies that i believe would undermine the country itself. It's my right to believe this, just as it is your right to have similar (if dissenting) views. And obviously, it is both our rights to vote the way we see as best for the direction of the country.

Ironically, there are those who believe so strongly in one or two issues that they refuse to see how a particular policy would possibly have detrimental effects on their own cause(s), by either solidifying the will of the people against perceived tyranny. The recent judicial decision to reverse a voter-approved initiative against gay marriage in California is one such example. While I am not talking a position in this thread about that decision, the fact that a judge overturned the will of the people will have dire consequences to the issue.

TheRedneck

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

I believe the Roe v Wade verdict has been harmful because it basically said a woman can have an abortion for whatever reason.

And now you have reasons such as,the child is the wrong sex,aborting 1 of twin because they don't want 2 kids,to spite an ex husband or boyfriend etc,and thats just insane.

I also find the Catholic church's view on abortion kinda hypocritical because on one hand they say that all life is sacred,then on the other they tell you that an unbaptized baby will go to 'hell.'

The Catholic teaching is uncompromising on this point,that all who depart this life without baptism,be it of water,or blood,or desire,are perpetually excluded from the vision of God.This teaching is grounded,as we have seen,on Scripture and tradition,and the decrees of the Church.Moreover,that those who die in original sin,without ever having contracted any actual sin,are deprived of the happiness of heaven is stated explicitly in the Confession of Faith of the Eastern Emperor Michael Palæologus.

www.newadvent.org...

Can you be pro life while at the same time damning the soul of an innocent baby to 'hell'?

<< 1   >>

join