It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US slaps sanctions on Iran bank

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 06:33 PM
link   

US slaps sanctions on Iran bank

ap.google.com

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Bush administration on Wednesday imposed financial sanctions on an Iranian state-owned financial institution for allegedly providing financial services in support of the country's weapons program.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.voanews.com
news.xinhuanet.com

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Senator Schumer applauded the move, but thinks more serious sanctions should be imposed. The question is how do we get Soviet cooperation in sanctioning Iran (if indeed it's agreed that Iran is the biggest threat)?

With the price of oil falling rapidly we could just bribe those Kremlinites right? Oil is a major export of Russia... Why not? We can afford 700 billion to bail out banking criminals but not a few 2 percent of that to bribe Russia into cooperation?

C'mon!!

ap.google.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Oops I was trying to post this into Breaking Political News.

Mods please move this thread. Sorry!

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 11:46 PM
link   

These efforts demonstrate that Iran’s nuclear enrichment program, pursued in defiance of the UN Security Council and the International Atomic Energy Agency, has an ever-increasing price. We hope that like-minded countries will enact similar steps.”

source

That is a good question. Will other countries enact similar measures during these economically turbulent times? Should they? Do you feel Iran is still a threat?

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Scramjet76

Personally I think it's all stupid. The more we continue to do this with one another the worse it gets.

If Iran should face sanctions then so should the U.S. government. It spits the same rhetoric and words of wars, already has nuclear weapons, and can't be trusted as much as any other country can.

When this stops being a war of governments and a war of countries, because at that level it effects everyone, even the innocents, and becomes a war of individuals fighting peacefully for peace through intellect and logic in front of the entire world, for the entire world to see, instead of a group of rich elites as representatives from countries, governments, groups and corporations, and we can all sit down at a table and see one another as Human Beings stripped of the labels that these imaginary borders give us and the history that they contain, then I think that will be a step in the right direction. Sanctioning other governments only hurts everyone's economy and done in the wayit is being done in it's a grand type of hypocrisy.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 01:21 AM
link   
reply to post by LastOutfiniteVoiceEternal

I agree with alot of you say. Thank you for your response.

It spits the same rhetoric and words of wars, already has nuclear weapons, and can't be trusted as much as any other country can.

How can you say this about Iran? We see the rights their leaders give them. We see the religious propaganda. Although the US beats the drums of war, they appear to be directing a change to a one world culture & gov't.... (which is what you seem to support)

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 03:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Scramjet76

I agree with alot of you say. Thank you for your response.

You're welcome and thank you for creating the thread so that I could formulate and share a response with you.

How can you say this about Iran? We see the rights their leaders give them. We see the religious propaganda. Although the US beats the drums of war, they appear to be directing a change to a one world culture & gov't.... (which is what you seem to support)

Yes. I do, but not brought about in this way and not created by and ruled by these people. This is not the way to go about it if history has taught us anything. It's time for a real change. If we're going to have a One World Government it can't be forced. It has be something that is recognized and acknowledged to already be in place. There isn't much wrong with the world we live in, I love my hot showers, my toothpaste and the gym. I appreciate what we've done with it and I'm thankful for that, but I know it can be better. We should strive for no suffering at all and open honesty. We have no moral high ground when we try to smear and accuse others of doing things that we do. How can I say this about Iran? Because I'm sure, somewhere in that humble little country of people desperately wanting to be free and at ease, there is someone exactly like me, thinking exactly the way that I am. Instead of it being all of our people and all of their people working together it's our country vs. theirs. It's our government and our rich elites vs. theirs. Everything is stupid competition, whose gonads are larger, who can push it the furthest until someone makes a mistake that can then be used as a reason to kill, further revealing how large our gonads are and how small our brains are.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 03:49 AM
link   
Operation Ajax

have a read up on the last time the USA directly got involved with Iran.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Humans have always pushed themselves through competition, unaware of what it might ultimately lead to. At this point there is no going back. There will be more bloodshed and more innocents caught in the crossfire between countries and egotistical elites. When this is finally over, I hope we will see a global society filled with people who value brains over brawn.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Harlequin

Operation Ajax was unsuccessful so that automatically equals to allowing (radical) religious fundamentalists the capability of nuclear arms??

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Harlequin

One more thing, Ajax was a complete overthrow..

What do you think about sanctions as a way to poke/prod the government?

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 03:05 PM
link   

err LOL

opeation AJAX was completely successful for the people who ran it - the overthrow the democratically elected government and replace it with the regime of the SHAH , who in teh next 20 odd years brutally stamped down any form of opposition within iran.

in 1979 the people had enough.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 03:19 PM
link   

And more:

Breaking

US slaps sanctions on Iran's Revolutionary Guards

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Bush administration is imposing new sanctions on Iran's Revolutionary Guard Corps, accusing the elite military unit of illegal trade in missile technology and weapons of mass destruction.

Elements of the Revolutionary Guard are already penalized under an order that took effect last year but Thursday's announcement by the State Department covers the entire organization along with 12 other private companies and military units from China, North and South Korea, Russia, Sudan, Syria and the United Arab Emirates.

The sanctions, which are valid for two years, bar any U.S. aid, contracts and arms sales or other defense transfers to any of the identified entities. It was not immediately clear if the U.S. government does business with any of them.

(AP)

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by chips

Hey great thanks for the update!

What's your take on it though? Right? Wrong? Useless?

top topics

join