It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it un-American to choose NOT to vote?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by ninthaxis

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

So instead of being part of a possible solution, your just gonna take your ball and go home? Part of being a citizen of any country, not just this one, is a duty, or responsibility, to help when things may not be quite right.

So if the candidate of your choice didn't win, does that automatically mean your vote didn't matter? Not so, my friend... In a close election, the winner is going to know, beyond any reasonable doubt, that he/she is on notice already that a large minority don't like him/her, and one term, if they screw the pooch, is a distinct possibility. So your vote, even though your candidate may have lost, did indeed mean something...not to mention all the other votes you cast on the same ballot...what about all those initiatives? Other, more local, races?

Oh, yes... our votes matter very much. Lots and lots, even...

If you look back on my posting history, you soon see that this topic is near and dear to my heart...if you hadn't noticed already.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

[edit on 10/25/2008 by seagull]

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by seagull

I respect your position but have to disagree. I think in theory votes matter. Democracy is a great thing. If a democracy were practiced I would wholeheartedly agree that voting is the responsible thing to do. I would argue that nobody's vote matters. I think the electoral college to be a scam, the president to be an Elite puppet child, and no one is the wiser because they have organized the elections to be so close in number, that it is always a toss up who will come out the victor. You may think my beliefs are to far on the conspiracy side, but like I said before, I think voting is just a sham that the people in power put into place to pacify people, to make them think they have a voice so they do not revolt.

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by ninthaxis

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Too far to the conspirecy side? On ATS? Never!

Seriously though. You are right to be concerned, there have always been games played in American politics, and always will be. Politicians, when they think, or know, they can get away with it will. Who is going to watch them? If not us, then who? The press? No, they're to busy touting their own agenda's. Other politicians? 'scuse me whilst I laugh. That would seem to leave just you and me, and 300 million other Americans.

It's not just voting I'm talking about here, though that certainly plays a part, it's the whole process that leads up to the voting. Honest Americans concerned about the direction of our nation can do anything. We just have to lose this attitude that our input doesn't matter. It does, or will, when we decide to make it matter. You can not ignore 300 million voices, no matter how hard you try.

Keep the faith, my friend. We can do it, if we want to.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

[edit on 10/25/2008 by seagull]

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 03:16 PM
link   
IMO, it's your civic duty to vote. Failing to cast a vote is the same as accepting the status quo. Your vote matters:

ranprieur.com...

...from your perspective, your one vote is not going to decide the election. But from my perspective, "your" vote means the votes of the thousands of people who are reading this, and each of you has the power to influence more voters, or help them get to the polls, and that influence might be necessary…And even if your actions don't change the national result, your choices, and how you make them, can influence your own values, your thinking habits, your path in this world. Every presidential election is like a long national therapy session...

A great essay.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 01:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Mercenary2007

I disagree, it's our constitutional right to one, not vote at all and two, retain the right to complain afterwards. Those are our rights. I say you still have the right and indeed the duty to complain even if one doesn't vote.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Women fought for their right to vote.

Negroid Americans fought for their right to vote.

America’s military - America's sons and daughters DIE - they FIGHT and DIE - for Democracy throughout the world - to give others the right to vote.

Not to vote?

(IMO) It’s a slap in the face to our Forefathers, Our Troops, Democracy, and the USA.

...taps...

[edit on 4-11-2008 by silo13]

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 01:51 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Did they all fight for the Electoral College though?...

Either way, I am both voting tomorrow and working the Election booths all day. So I am off to bed.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by mrsdudara
There is a reason we do not go with the popular vote though. If we were to go with that, then the big states California, New York, etc. would be the only ones with a voice. They have different issues than we do here in the midwest. This way, gives all of us a voice.

uh. unless i am mistaken, your premise is backward, mrsdudara. the electoral college actually consolidates the voice of individual states. it makes states like FLORIDA and OHIO into "battlegrounds". why should they be the ones to decide the election year after year?!

the only way for everyone to have an equal voice is by popular vote.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 02:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

Did they all fight for the Electoral College though?...

I don't know.
I really don't know.
And it's horrific.

Good Luck working the Election!

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 02:08 AM
link   
It is one's civic duty to vote.

But......

If someone has no idea who and what they are voting for, I would them rather not vote. If you have no idea who is running, what they stand for, and what the issues are, you shouldn't vote.

A vote for vote's sake, without knowing the issues, is useless in my book....and in some cases dangerous.

JMO....

[edit on 11/4/2008 by skeptic1]

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Just a view from a non-American: I and I think many others see the USA as an example of "freedom". I'm not saying the USA is perfect in the freedoms it provides but it's far better than many other countries in that respect. Simply put, I see Americans as people who have the freedom to make political choices at election time, including the choice to vote for none of the candidates. So, if you don't like any of the candidates and you choose not to vote for them, that is your right -- a right that other citizens of your country have fought to protect.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by JustMike

touche

I still think it is irresponsible to not educate yourself on what is going on in your country and who is wanting to lead it. To choose ignorance over a freedom is just crazy. Why would you want to do that?

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Americans should not feel pressured into voting (even though we see and hear otherwise). Our founders fought for our Independence from oppression and tyranny so that people of this country can live in their own accordance. They didn't fight so that citizens would be mandated to go out and vote, they fought so that citizens would have the right to vote. If you have convictions towards any f the candidates, then by all means go out and vote, but don't do it out of fear of reprisal.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Hear is my two cents. To not vote, is to vote. You are voting for something that is better than the option that is available. You, by not voting on purpose, are saying that you have no faith in any leader running. But unfortunately, your purposeful none vote gets lost in the vast amount of lazy, non caring no votes. That is the the problem. We have democracy to a fault where you can chose to participate or not. Most who don't, don't vote because of a lack of interest in the system, or just a feeling of who cares. I say if you don't want to vote, then don't, it is your right not to.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 06:07 PM
link   
It is no way un-American to choose not to vote (even though we see and hear otherwise).

Our founders fought for independence from oppression and tyranny. They fought so that we would not be mandated or pressured towards any one school of thought or belief, so that we would have a right to practice freedoms which includes the freedoms of choice, religion, philosophies, etc.

I feel it is certainly possible not to have strong convictions towards any of the running candidates (even after well informing yourself). If you do have strong convictions, by all means get out and vote but don't vote out of fear of reprisal or else that undoes everything our founders fought to secure.

[edit on 4-11-2008 by indiv77]

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 08:46 PM
link   
It is not un-American. You are still a citizen of the United States. Being un-American is believing that certain people should be treated differently because of their skin color, background, etc.
It is your right as an American to decide whether to vote or not. If it was un-American, it would be a law that you must vote when you turn 18.

And as far as not complaining about whoever does win and their decisions, that is your right as an American as well. No one can tell you just because you didn't vote you have no right to complain or state your views.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Mercenary2007

i chose not to vote because i don't care who won the presidency. id be happy with either or. But i still reserve my right to bitch or to praise as a law abiding, tax paying citizen

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Where do people get these ridiculous notions that somehow not voting immediately means you can't complain about your govt.? Since when did having the "right to bitch" become elitist snobbery that only "those who voted' get a right to, but I don't? get over yourselves, you're not THAT special!

That is an incredibly shallow point of view. Have ANY of you people ever wondered that, perhaps one of the reasons some of us didn't vote was because both parties S**k!??? Because this country offers NOTHING other than the same two lame parties?

I'm sorry, but last I checked, we lived in a democratic REPUBLIC, and as stated, a republic makes sure that all points of view are represented (otherwise all decisions would be made by mob rule, which is ineffective), and guess what? neither the democratic, NOR the republican party do a good job at representing me or a good chunk of disgruntled americans.

Also, some of us maybe didn't want to vote because the electoral college S**ks! and it's an ineffective tool at representing the REAL VOTERS choice!
The electoral college, like a democratic system (or majority mob rule) only takes into account the leading party votes, and the rest are just losers that aren't even taken into account. So even if we WANTED to say vote for Ron Paul, it wouldn't make a lick of difference since the electoral college will more than likely end up choosing only the two major parties.

So SOOOOOOOORRY for making a big stink or being "un-american" for not voting. But when all that is being churned out is Turd #1 and Turd #2, we can't help but wonder... WHY?

Sorry, I will still bicker, I will still complain because it is my duty as an american, to make sure that, even if these idiots are in office, that I and others like myself are well represented and more importantly, that the constitution is still upheld and hopefully, not violated any further than it already has been.

To the OP. There is nothing "un-american" about not voting. But I will tell you WHAT IS Un-american... that is, voting against your own principles, voting against your convitions and voting against what you TRULY know is right in your heart, so "the other guy" can't win. That is un-american, hell that's "un-human" (not inhumane, check sp.)

To the OP, this election is heartbreaking for me, just as the previous two were and it is obvious that to many of us, our voices will never be echoed by an honest presidential candidate. But that doesn't mean the fight is over. One has to make sure that we still yell loud enough to the current idiots so they don't step out of line and violate the constitution further.

Hear is my two cents. To not vote, is to vote. You are voting for something that is better than the option that is available. You, by not voting on purpose, are saying that you have no faith in any leader running

Amen to that Cap. (referencing your Capt. America avatar)

[edit on 4-11-2008 by Question]

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Question

great post, i wish i could have given you more stars, ill be damned if your not right.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join