It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it un-American to choose NOT to vote?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Forgive me if this is a silly question. I'm not the most politically savvy person; this is the first election that I will be able to participate in. (I'm 20.) When I registered to vote awhile back, I was very excited that I was going to be able to participate in democracy, etc... politically I am very middle-of-the-road, perhaps leaning more towards conservative, but not enough that just one issue would make me vote Republican (such as gay marriage, etc).

As I started to read about both candidates and listen to their speeches, etc, I found that they were not as radically different as I expected. I feel that both Obama and McCain, at heart, want the best for a country and want to take a new direction and bring change to a disheartened America. (Perhaps Obama has put a little more emphasis on change...)

The problem is, neither of the candidates seem to be President material. McCain seems to have a touch of the warmonger in him...I'm afraid that things will not change much, going from Bush to McCain if he is elected. Also he will take longer to withdraw our troops from Iraq. Something about him is unsettling...

On the other hand, Obama (as I heard in a speech he gave) apparently wants to do no less than disarm America, greatly lowering our defenses and nuclear weapons. I understand that he wants to make a push for peace, but there are so many countries that HATE us, I feel this is a really bad idea.

There's other points on other issues that make both candidates look bad, not to mention the relative inexperience on both sides (Obama and Palin), and the amount of mudslinging and accusations between the two candidates shows an alarming lack of respect and maturity..... which comes to my question.

Is it un-American to be registered to vote and not do so?

Because I'm strongly considering not voting for either one of these men.
Thanks for any feedback...and sorry if I sound naive.

-Replikant

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 06:10 PM
link   
I hardly think it's un American to not vote as most Americans neglect to vote anyway.

But if things don't go the way you think they should politically; and you haven't voted; don't be a crybaby and don't bitch.

This year expect to see record turn outs from the young and disenfranchised and the elderly.

[edit on 22-10-2008 by whaaa]

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 06:13 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I wouldn't say un-American, it's a choice. That being said, those who don't vote shouldn't complain about politics or our politicians.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Replikant
Is it un-American to be registered to vote and not do so?

Because I'm strongly considering not voting for either one of these men.

This is a very good question you raise. My answer is that only you can decide if you're "un-American" by not voting.

There will be more than two choices for President/Vice-President on the ballot November 4th. I recommend investigating "third-party" candidates, such as Ralph Nader, Bob Barr and Cynthia McKinney.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 06:14 PM
link   
I would like to know who created the word un-American. The election is Nov 4th and when you wake up Nov 5th you will still be an American.

Un-American symbolizes different things for different folks. Do what you feel is right and don't worry about somebody labeling you something that you for one know isn't true.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 06:15 PM
link   
As others have said, not voting means you give up your bitching rights about the government after the election.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

If that no voting is a form of protest, does a person still lose his/her right to complain?

Just curious.

[edit on 22-10-2008 by jam321]

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

Well said, jam.

For one to truly be "un-American", one would have to renounce his/her citizenship. Or the US government would have to strip your citizenship from you.

The recent dust-up on the campaign trail wherein some on the right are accusing their rivals of being somehow "anti-" or "un-American" reveals so much about the unfortunate direction that our once-United country is heading.

What, exactly, is "un-American", anyhow? A very subjective, relative label. Like any other label, I suppose.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

Fair question.

I guess in my mind, If I don't vote then, it's not that I lose my right to complain / protest, just that maybe my complaint or protest doesn't mean as much. Does that make sense?

I don't know, I'm one who thinks in simple terms, no vote = no complaining.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 06:23 PM
link   
You might want to ask yourself, "Does it matter if I vote or not?"

I have had several conversations on this topic with my brother, who won't be voting and isn't even registered. He believes the Electoral College makes his vote irrelevant. He believes the outcome is a foregone conclusion. He believes the system is so corrupt that the only way to show we won't put up with it anymore is if nobody votes.

He may have a point with that last statement. What if nobody voted for president in the general election? What would happen?

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 06:31 PM
link   
As an American you have the freedom of choice. You are exercising your American right if you choose not to vote. However I would also like to point out that there are more than two candidates here. You don't have to choose one of the main party memebers. Do a search, find them out. These are the candidates listed on the ballot in TN. Find out which one matches your beliefs and vote for them. I think if enough people voted their heart based on the facts we would find that more of us agree with each other than we think.

Democratic Barack Obama and Joe Biden
Republican John McCain and Sarah Palin
Independent Chuck Baldwin and Darrell Castle
Independent Bob Barr and Wayne Root
Independent Charles Jay and Thomas L. Knapp
Independent Cynthia McKinney and Rosa Clemente
Independent Brian Moore and Stewart Alexander
Independent Ralph Nader and Matt Gonzalez

[edit on 10/22/2008 by secretstash]

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 06:36 PM
link   
It is most definately not un-american to not vote.

Many many people made alot of sacrifices so that you would have the personal freedom to decide for yourself what to do. Having the personal freedom to make your own decisions is what America is all about. Also you have freedom to say whatever you want whenever you want; so you can bitch all you want no matter who wins or loses. Welcome to America!

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Replikant

It's TOTALLY your choice and only YOUR opinion of whether you're un-American" or not matters.
People have been throwing around that "un-American" thing for too long! It's ridiculous! It's what people say when their argument stinks.

If none of the candidates appeal to you and you cannot in good conscience vote for one of the options, and don't feel it's right to vote for someone you have disagreements with, then not voting is a valid choice.

And I personally believe you have the right to bitch, even if you don't vote.

I don't agree with any candidate 100%. I never have. But I pick the one that's closest to what I think the country needs and go with that. Voting is important to me. It feels great. But it's a right, not an obligation, IMO.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by secretstash

Thank you for bringing up the fact that there are other candidates besides McCain and Obama..honestly I'd completely overlooked that fact until right now...

Seriously considering doing that instead.

*goes off to look up info on the other candidates*

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 06:49 PM
link   
I think voting has it's moments, after all kennedy lincoln and jackson were elected, right? so at least it CAN work. I'm not too excited about picking between those two guys though. If i vote i'll probably write in ron paul.

why not?

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 07:04 PM
link   
you say you dont like either of the two canidates.. well there are far more that 2 canidates, your being blinded by the media, Look up the third parties.

Id recommend looking at the constitution party, Chuck Baldwin. Thats who Im voting for and many many others are as well.

And for the people that still think that a independent or third party cant win, I live in Minnesota and we voted in a independent for governor, and shocked the establishment that though it would never happen, and we took the election easly.

THird parties investigate the third parties and make the choice for the best canidate dont fall in to the lesser of two evils, becuase if you voting for the lesser of two evils your still voting for evil.

As for not voting, id say do what you want but then you should not wine or do any complaining about the outcome, and should accept responcability for the outcome, becuase if all the non voters voted for say Chuck baldwin he would most likely easily win.

I know allot of people that just want to life there life and don't care about politics, well then if thats the case you should vote for some one that wants to lessen the federal government and get them out of your life, most people however done even know how badly there effected by these government controls. Imagine having 15% more income if the income tax was abolished, imaging having less gas tax, imagine not being at war, imagine not having troops stationed in 130+ military bases allover the world. Imagine being able to buy what you want to buy not what the government says you can buy.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone
I wouldn't say un-American, it's a choice. That being said, those who don't vote shouldn't complain about politics or our politicians.

Unless they are complaining about the fact that it's a two party system. In which case it makes sense that one would complain about it and not partake in it

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Apathy has been the wedge that has virtually split this nation.I consider it not only a right to vote I feel it is my civic duty to vote.Your vote is your voice,however small it may seem.Enough small voices in unison create a huge roar.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 07:21 PM
link   
There is always the write in option.

Vote for someone otherwise it is a vote of 'I'll take what everyone else chooses.' My belief is that I should cast my vote to guide the election in some way. I can at least try to keep the worst candidate (in my own eyes) out of office.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Replikant

Seriously considering doing that instead.

*goes off to look up info on the other candidates*

Ron Paul

Chuck Baldwin

David Kucinich

Bob Barr
(and I am registered Libertarian)

Cynthia McKinney

I mostly just wanted the thumbs to alternate just then
Just don't vote Baldwin!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>