It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ABC Nightline news: The UFO Disclosure Process Has Begun

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by yeti101
One may come to the conclusion that the tech singularity is unsurvivable and thats why we see no sign of other civilizations.

They are all wiped out when they reach this point

I am inclined to believe this, though to a point.

While I believe there is life beyond Earth, I believe that life is rare, and intelligent life is rarer still. The universe is a very dangerous place, with gamma-ray bursts, supernovas, black holes, errant asteroids, and thousands of other known and unknown threats. Even life is fortunate enough to survive this, they still have themselves to contend with. If they do not destroy themselves, then perhaps they can start reaching out to the stars. Even then, various cultural and societal conciets may prevent them from reaching too far.

As for them coming here, the chances of them finding us are very small. We orbit one star among billions; only through a quirk of luck or chance could they stumble upon us. There is the common misperception that we have been beaming transmissions, via TV and radio, into the cosmos for 70 years now, and thus every star within an equal radius of light-years. But those signals only extend for two light years before disappearing, not even half-way to the closest star.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by TSOM87
Listen, when i hear people say that Aliens are a threat it kinda puzzle's me, why are Aliens or UFOS a threat?

If you want to know how an alien species could be a threat to life on Earth, outside of a B-movie or pulp sci-fi plot, I would suggest reading Plagues and People, by William McNeil; 1491 by Charles C. Mann; Guns, Germs and Steel, by Jared Diamond; Viruses, Plagues and History, by Michael Oldstone; and The Greatest Killer: Smallpox in History, by Donald R. Hopkins

Originally posted by TSOM87
Plus why do people believe Dr. Carol, how do you know she's telling the truth? She mite be full of it!

Because she is saying what these people want to hear. When otherwise intelligent people want to believe something bad enough, when someone says what they want to hear, the veracity of the comment, and any common sense, takes a backseat to this supposed confirmation of their beliefs.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by SaviorComplex

The many once talked with confidence about their wisdom and reason as they cast derisory comments at those few who believed the world to be round and not flat.

Because the majority of society believes a thing that does not validate its truth, in fact in history it generally indicates the contrary.

[edit on 23-10-2008 by silver6ix]

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by yeti101
One may come to the conclusion that the tech singularity is unsurvivable and thats why we see no sign of other civilizations.

They are all wiped out when they reach this point

Why would it be 100% unsurvivable? You're predicting some kind of robot war and saying there's no chance any civilization can ever win such a war? I doubt that. Sure, maybe we could screw up and kill ourselves off, but there's no guarantee that such a thing will happen. We need to be careful how we program the AIs of the future. But, let's say for a moment that the robots always win. Someone is still left. The robots.... where are they? They could be anywhere. We just probably don't have the ability to detect them.

Anyway, someone, somewhere mentioned that the whole galaxy would be colonized in millions of years if there are aliens out there.... well, how do we know it isn't? It's possible that we just can't detect them yet. We might have come a long way in the past 100 years, but we still have a lot to learn.

[edit on 23-10-2008 by GrayFox]

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by silver6ix
The many once talked with confidence about their wisdom and reason as they cast derisory comments at those few who believed the world to be round and not flat.

Because the majority of society believes a thing that doesnt not validate its truth, in fact in history it generally indicates the contrary.

You seem to be enjoying some sort of private joke. Perhaps you could let the rest of us in on what you are talking about.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 05:28 PM
link   

I already have, its really a question of those who choose to see and those who choose not.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by arizonascott It would seem the other governments are rushing for full disclosure.

Why?

because all of the cool stuff is stacked away in air force hangars & the military just wanna use it real bad now....

& if the populace "knows that ufo's exist", then every conceivable, exotic thing that the military ever acquires & creates for that matter & then flies or uses, from that point on, can simply & officially, be passed off as being "just another alien visitor".

nice cover, once & for all.....

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 08:07 PM
link   
These beings use frequencies and wave lengths. When you want to try and contact them (not saying they will answer which they could if they chose to) I would suggest since they are in the deepest of our waters use very low frequency wave lengths. Two locations which would be a good start are 1.) the Mariana Trench and 2.) the Puerto Rico Trench.

If you want to catch them in the sky you need to slow things down. The skies are full of ships but they move to fast for the eyes to see them. When a ship slows or stops and you are looking at the right place at the right time you will catch them as you well know. They will show themselves whenever and wherever they choose.

When it comes to the Creator's I am probably the only one on this Planet that has been with them at this time in our History. I know how that sounds but in one way this is why I can write the truths of what I do because NO ONE will believe. You know that right there out in the open crap.

I am here to observe and help when the time comes and I share because I can.

One skeptic said on TV something like..... Don't open your mind so far or your brains might fall out. Well, I suggest you open your minds.... brain seepage isn't all that bad.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 08:22 PM
link   

I already have, its really a question of those who choose to see and those who choose not.

I find your above comment interesting in context of your earlier post...

You could as easily be talking about yourself.

If you have a problem with anything I said, please tell us why it is wrong, instead of dismissing it without of hand without explanation.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 08:41 PM
link   

The explanation has been more than covered in the thread, now im just left dismissing you dismissal.

There are skeptic here but you seem to be in full denial. The Universe is a dangerous place? Earth is a dangerous place and its much smaller than the Universe. Life has been proven to survive in any conditions, extreme heat, extreme cold. You are still talking with some "Scientific" ideas that went obsolete years ago im afraid.

As for finding us, I think it would be rather easy with a Hubble Telescope x100000, and im sure even humans arent 100 years from building that. In a universe billions of years old, I think your concepts are dated and dogmatic in the extreme. You seem to be telling us the world is still flat, sorry my friend, its round and sooner or later you may have to come to terms with that discovery.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 09:30 PM
link   

You are still talking with some "Scientific" ideas that went obsolete years ago im afraid.

Please...tell us which scientific ideas I talked about that are now obsolete. And tell us why they are obsolete.

As for finding us, I think it would be rather easy with a Hubble Telescope x100000, and im sure even humans arent 100 years from building that. In a universe billions of years old, I think your concepts are dated and dogmatic in the extreme.

How are they dogmatic or dated? At no point did I say any of this was impossible. No one knows to what extent life is rare or common in the galaxy; for that very reason alone, it is impossible to say any argument pertaining to such is "dated." Whether we are all alone or are living in an abundant galaxy, as of now no one knows. I made the argument life is rare, and though you may disagree, it is certainly not dated. Nor is postulating this possibility an "extreme" position, once again for the simple fact we do not know. Only a closed-minded person, himself acting from an extreme position, would argue any disagreement comes from a position of extremism.

And yes, you are right, on Earth, life has found a way despite the disasters we have faced. But we don't know the extent to which Earth has been lucky. This luck may not have been afforded to other planets. My position is that the galaxy is a very hostile place; could you please tell us all how this idea is obsolete?

And even when planet develops life, it does not necessarily mean it will evolve intelligence. We don't know if the natural procession of life leads to intelligence. Considering life has existed for 3.7 billion years and intelligent life just recently evolved, it may be that intelligent life is a rare development. (However, some researchers like David Grinspoon and James Gardner speculate that life is hardwired to lead to intelligence).

And when life intelligence develops, these hypothetical aliens stand the risk of destroying themselves. We have the ability to do it ourselves, and have stood on the brink of doing it. Many subscribing to the Kardashev Scale theory believe that civilizations may tend towards destroying themselves as they transitition to a Type 1 civilization. How is any of that outdated?

And just because the galaxy is billions of years old, it does not mean civilizations have existed that long. As far as life on Earth is concerned, few species survive beyond a few million years. And even if a civilization did manage to survive, there are countless variables that may prevent them from reaching beyond their solar-system or reaching beyond us.

You seem to be telling us the world is still flat, sorry my friend, its round and sooner or later you may have to come to terms with that discovery.

No objective, reasonable person could possibly think that anything I said was akin to saying the world is flat. The only person acting with a dogmatic attitude is you. By dismissing things out of hand, declaring them outmoded, and unworthy of explanation for the simple fact you disagree, is itself the very definition of dogmatic; you are mistaking your personal belief for the only way to think.

[edit on 23-10-2008 by SaviorComplex]

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 09:49 PM
link   

You suggest life is rare and finds it difficult to survive, im sorry but the "fluke" theory was one of the most amusing theories (and I grudge affording it that respect) ever.

Life is virulent, aggressive and determined. These same people who once postulated the concepts you are now dredging forward also claimed life couldnt exist outside certain ranges of temperature which was part of their dreamy idea on why Earth was unique. Hilarious stuff really since we found life in glaciers, life in volcanic vents and proved emphatically that life truly can live anywhere.

Even deserts are filled with life, theres nowehere on this planet, from the depths of the ocean to the mountain peaks where life has not settled and grown and thrived in all its many forms. Life from all we know would be virtually impossible to eliminate by natural means. No matter what we do, life will adapt and continue to grow. This we know.

There is no need for Earth climates, no need for Earth temperatures, not even any need for our physics or our chemistry, life itself will supercede all of it on the quest for survival.

The seeds of life didnt just randomly appear in a single solar system in the back end of the cosmos my friend, the concept is laughable. There are billions of stars and planets and life will probably exist in quite a few of those. To believe only this planet was enough to provide home to life which is almost viral in its quest for existence is beyond the pale of reason and deep into the depths of madness and denial.

We are not alone, of that theres no question. Just because you cannot see it, does not mean it is not there.

Aliens on Earth is another matter but again, we have no reason to believe they wouldnt be here, a species a million years old could be hundreds of times more advanced than our own ad even that isnt required for space travel. Humans will probably master it within a year. As for killing ourselves, never going to happen, survival instincts. We might take ourseleves to the brink of it but in the end despite the chaos we will survive. Why do you think nobody launches nukes anymore? Its a lose scenario for everyone and nobody wants to lose. Sure we will have some more wars and maybe some other species will step into the fray when they are bored, but humans wont wipe themselves out although im sure they will give it their best shot in the coming years.

WAR is the greatest technological advancer in history, so the more we fight, the more likely we will travel faster beyond this solar system. Im sure the same applies elsewhere.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 10:10 PM
link   
I am SO confused...

How can this thread POSSIBLY have resulted from the 'story' in the stomverbaasd referenced video?

How can anyone POSSIBLY think that 'disclosure' IS happening?

This 'story' is EXACTLY the same BS that has been the hallmark of the UFO field for... Well... Forever!

Just another disinformation piece... Just a whole lot of talking... Well... About nothing! Signifying nothing!

The British 'Roswell'?

You have just GOT to love the 'newscaster' (read: news reader
). Are we alone...

Come on guys... I read the first couple of pages. Where did all of this discussion come from?

Someone point me to the real story.

(Yeah! Like that is going to happen
)

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by CAPT PROTON

I agree with Revelations proceeding at an accelerating rate. The earth is acting as if it is in birth pangs(scriptures).

The presence of aliens IMO is undeniable. I believe some to be good and some to be bad.

There will be an event soon which will allow full disclosure. By then people will be begging to be saved so they can go back to waxing their Lexus.

That will allow the antichrist to enter upon the scene. Whoever is the peacemaker of the Gog/Magog war is s/he.

John 3:16

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by golemina

We kind of diverged back into the same old possiblitity of alien life discussion.

It was always on the agenda

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 11:19 PM
link   
For what it's worth:

Honestly, I suspect that if a disclosure of any kind really does happen, the government(s) will feign ignorance and act like this is the first time they've heard about it. I mean, the way I'm seeing it...

If they did a full-blown revelation of a history of cover-ups and lies, of the decades-long censorship of citizens who grew old and died without ever being able to stand witness to the truth, wouldn't that just piss off a whole lot of people? I know it would piss ME off. But at the same time, they'd have to go forward with this whole ET thing; there'd be no going back. So...

Answer: Just act like it's happening for the first time. That way they don't have to face the responsibility of their past lies, and thus help to minimize whatever chaos might ensue among the public after such a disclosure. Sure, it's Machiavellian, but isn't that generally an accurate adjective for the foreign policies of major governments, anyway? The ends justify the means, and once again, ignorance is bliss.

As far as how they'd pull it off... I don't know, maybe they'd manage to coordinate the appearance of an alien signal to SETI to start things off, then point and say, "Ooooh, hey! Look at that! Alien life that we of course didn't already know about and haven't been hiding from you for the past fifty years!"

Of course this is all speculation... just thinking out loud, I suppose.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Magnus47

This is my belief also, old powers do not give up their hold so easily.

Disclosure in the terms people want is not going to happen. What happened yesterday, they do not want us to know, if we knew it would be their undoing and thats not going to happen.

However for many reasons things now are becoming beyond control. When things are infrequent and people disconnected and you can control downwards the flow of ideology, control can be maintained comfortably. We entered a phase of "global media" and this was a lucrative phase for those ruling elite, they had true power.

As with all systems however, it cannot last forever. As we were once conditioned by media delivered ideology, now we are conditioning ourseveles with "new media" driven ideolog. Where once everything was under control, now its wild, we are in a sense applying the same tools of control and manipulation to ourseleves. Our expression, creation, madness and genius has found a home in the internet. Kids now grow up with a whole world of conflicting possible ideologies and beliefs at their finger tips and the mainstream media is losing its once coveted position of credibility.

As the "new media" generation grows so will the numbers of those adults who are not so jaded and worn of mind. Secrets are becoming very hard to keep. In fact so much so that as time goes on it becomes impossible. We "the mushroom people" think of every scenario, every theory, every conspiracy even where none exists someone will create one, each one gathers its small band of followers and each one erodes a little more the bastions of media driven ideology. Soon enough things will become very hard to control and the people will stop sleeping and start wondering again. As the trust and the position of the media as "credible" fades, so to does the will to accept "we know nothing" as the answer.

For me its a race against time. In order to survive I believe you are right, they must create for the "first time" that which they covered up. First we need to be slowly desensitized, adjusted to the idea, although in this day and age that process will not take years, maybe a year, two at the most, and then we will have an "event". After the event they can operate freely again with everyones eyes on the new occurance and the older on slipping to memory.

Ive heard it said they will fabricate threat to create the NWO. Maybe, but it will fail. People are already to fre thinking, too expressive and too connected for such a plan to lead anywhere. Every move they make down the road will be here, on the internet, being read, being seen, chipping away at the presented truths and sticking in the mind. People might not believe it but when the moves begin to play and the warning lights flash in their minds, people will fear the possiblity because that is whats in our nature to do.

I believe in the coming years that alien life will become an acceptance, not a myth. Where we go from there? Well, im sure our old dogs still hope to learn new tricks but in truth the old order is fading, as did the orders before.

Humans obsession with materialism comes from the instinct to survive, the need to eat and stay alive. The closer we get to the resolution of those problems, the further from materialism we will be. Ultimately chunks of land, wood, and metal will become of little value and knowledge will become the focus of what we are and what we strive for.

Its evolution. Scientist wonder why humans arent still evolving. The truth is we are, maybe faster than ever before. One day we will no longer need to work all our lives, to hunt, to provide, those are the instincts which keep us close to the animal in us, the less we require them, the less important they will become. In a sense, the animal instincts within us something will have served their purpose and will become obsolete.

Anyway, that was long. Sorry, I enjoy this subject very much.

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 12:55 AM
link   

You suggest life is rare and finds it difficult to survive, im sorry but the "fluke" theory was one of the most amusing theories (and I grudge affording it that respect) ever.

I never said life was a fluke. I made a case that intelligent life was rare because of dangers, both artificial and natural.

Life is virulent, aggressive and determined...

Absolutely right. I cannot argue and am not arguing with that. However, our sun hasn't exploded, there hasn't been a giant supernova in our relative neighborhood, various other terrible cosmic catastrophies have not happened that could destroy all life on the planet.

There is no need for Earth climates, no need for Earth temperatures, not even any need for our physics or our chemistry, life itself will supercede all of it on the quest for survival.

I never said there was. You are putting words in my mouth.

The seeds of life didnt just randomly appear in a single solar system in the back end of the cosmos my friend, the concept is laughable.

I never made the claim that this was the only planet to harbor life.

There are billions of stars and planets and life will probably exist in quite a few of those. To believe only this planet was enough to provide home to life which is almost viral in its quest for existence is beyond the pale of reason and deep into the depths of madness and denial.

Nor did I ever make this claim.

We are not alone, of that theres no question. Just because you cannot see it, does not mean it is not there.

I never once said we were alone. Not one time in this conversation.

Five times in your above response alone, you attribute things to me that I did not say. You obviously are going to read and believe whatever you want, despite what I say to the contrary.

a species a million years old could be hundreds of times more advanced than our own...

That is as much an argument for them coming here as it is an argument for them not coming here..

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 05:28 AM
link   
I find all this bunkum on the news cast very interesting. Mostly because I feel that declassifying this particular information is largely a waste of time. Most people were already aware of incedents like the one at the US base in the forests of England. This is not new information people. Theres nothing in the files that are being released that has not been in the domain of interested parties for a long time.
What would interest me is if they decided to release all materials , all evidences , and ALL files pertaining to the percentage of cases that were and still are completely inexplicable. That would be a worthy transparancy. Lets face it , its not a matter of national security at all . Terrorists do not strap explosives to little green men and tell them to deliver themselves to the west . We have a right to know about these things, and theres no harm in us knowing . If we should be worried, then we have a right to understand why . If we have no reason to fear Extra terrestrial incursion , then we have a right to study the evidence and decide for our selves. And more to the point , the governments of the world have NO right to get in our way .

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 07:06 AM
link   

If intelligent life is even more rare than any other life (that's allegedly rare itself) in, say, this galaxy alone, can anyone fathom how exponentially more crminally insane and stupid (the politically and religiously dominant portion of) the human race is than basically anyone can imagine now? Good Christ, if such extreme rarity is true, humans are polluting and depleting the resources of something beyond astronomically precious... And y'all have basically nothing else but (utter, ubertotalitarian) rule by secrecy in general as the basis of it. Brilliant.

And on that "happy" note, I wish I could personally cut the throats of, say, 1000 or more of the most powerful people on this rock.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join