It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are the R.C.M.P and the F.B.I the same?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Hey guys i'm not sure if I posted this in the right section, so iam sorry if it is.

In about one year I would like to join the R.C.M.P because I live in canada and there no fbi in canada, (at least I think theres not).
I would just like to know if the R.C.M.P and the F.B.I are the same, and if they are or are not the same then please explain how.

Thank-you!

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 03:43 PM
link   
No, the RCMP aren't like the FBI. The RCMP is just a unified national police force. Most major cities rely on their own police force though, but in any city under 500,000 you're likely just to find RCMP.

The Canadian equivalent to FBI/CIA/"whatever agency you want" is CSIS, Canadian Security Intelligence Service.

edit:spelling

[edit on 22-10-2008 by Kuro34]

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Actually the RCMP is responsible for a lot more than just policing. CSIS is the foreign inteligence service(spies) of canada similar to the CIA. Pretty much all domestic investigations including terrorism and corruption falls under the jurisdiction of the RCMP.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 10:28 PM
link   
No they are not the same.
RCMP is what happened after RMCP divided into RCMP and CSIS. "Our Camp" and "See Sis, (it's like this.....)", for those who play with words.

It's too easy to find conflicting concepts in reference to FBI and RCMP, because at some point in time in the last decades, Canada began to lose the term provincial in relation to what they now call 'federal'. I may be confused-as I'm not Canadian, but my understanding was that things used to be called 'Provincial' in the way the states term things 'federal' and now in Canada the term Federal is used-not that the term Provincial is obsolete. My second biggest complaint with what I see as Canada's Americanization of structure. First the (for purposes) disbanding of the 'Mounties' as they were. Then the implantation of the term 'Federal'. It causes confusion. Something to check out anyhow. I heard it at the border. Maybe at the canada border there are united states officers. I don't know for sure. Great luck with your career! And shoot for the top~go fed.

*omitted for off topic-ness*
However.... this is not to say that an FBI doesn't work double in the RCMP or vice versa.

Not so long ago there was something of a sharing of information contract like *thingy* between the states and our sister up north. I don't know the specific name of the document or set of understandings-or where to find it to link, as whatever words it would be called, escape me. Though I'm sure someone with the right key words at the moment could find a starting point on it on google, if it is not already widely known.

Still... no. RCMP is what *used to be* to Canada, what the FBI is to the United States today, as far as I understand it.

They used to proudly ride their horses, the RCMP. Now the country is importing the beasts as a food source, if rumor serves. Is that true? Sigh. This so broke my heart. I was going to study becoming a 'Mountie' in the states 6th grade--back then only boys though. :-( The school didn't let me research it anyways. Which I thought was odd....

But, now I get it.

[edit on 23-10-2008 by HugmyRek]

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 01:16 AM
link   
WTF???? You seriously think a Canadian would eat a horse?? Nobody I've ever known in my life ate a horse. And nobody is importing them for food. If we wanted to eat them we'd breed them ourselves, we have lots. What the hell country are you from?

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 01:21 AM
link   
Um... We don't eat horses in Canada. We have more food than we need. Ew. I'm sorry but how could you even believe that? Do you believe we live in igloos too?

As for the RCMP... I'd say go for it. There's lots of benefits like early retirement, and you can live anywhere you want in Canada after you do a couple years of service.

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by red_leader

I have ate horse meat before. I am Canadian. My grandad used to cook it, call it beef and piss off my Grandmother.......lol

The FBI does operate hand in glove with the RCMP and vicaversa

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 01:38 PM
link   
It is truely amazing that the world of "talking to americans" (not presuming all here are americans) with Rick Mercer is actually reality to some degree. How can any group of people be perceived and presented as so ignorant about their neighboirng country? I do understand that there are Canadians that know little about the U.S.A. but we seem to lack the fundamental misconceptions such as Canadians living in igloos, or the parliament being a giant igloo, or only recently getting electricity etc.

Apologies if i broke any posting rules

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Well, well.....I find that Canadians and Americanos are both ignorant as well as brilliant..depends who it is...lol... I have lived many years on both sides.

Most Canadians that I speak with, and these are educated have no idea who the second PM was....some have no idea who the first was and almost all percieve Americans as stupid. This is far from the truth.

The demographics are almost the same.

I lived in Ca, OK, AR, Ak, NY, TX and worked in many more states.

I also lived in SK, Ab, and BC.....trust me Canadians and Americans are peas from the same pod.

Canadians hate this but it is very true.

Arkansas, Saskatchewan and Oklahoma are my favs and they all have connections with the RCMP and the FBI.

I have seen uniformed RCMP in Colarado Springs.
Their are FBI in Ab and BC.

new topics

top topics

join