It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's the obsession with poor-bashing here?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 07:32 PM
link   
there is all this sentimentality about poor people
based on the leftover idea that all people are equal, because we are all children of god, and we all have souls
but there is no god, and we are animals, and we can do what we like
and for most purposes, people are not equal, some persons are okay, most are garbage
and when we consider poor people as a group, statistically, they are stupider than rich people
IQ is the governor of future income, more so than parental income, as in THE BELL CURVE
poverty is not a tragedy, it is strict justice
compassion is not a virtue, it's just creepy kicks for the practitioners
IF SUFFERING WAS UNNECESSARY IT WOULD NOT BE SO EASY evolutionarily, that is

and I make ten bucks an hour, thank you very much

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 07:47 PM
link   
dont worry, if someone is talking down on being poor, that just shows their true position. FEAR. They are scared of being poor themselves so they talk bad about it like it will make it go away or distance themselves from it or something to that effect. In reality, money does not exist. So I can see why people talk bad about poor folk, it must be scary believing in money.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Working people who try, the disabled who can't, those who would if they had an opportunity - give em whatever they need and then some more.

Whiners and lazy people who demand everything for nothing - let them starve.

Politicians who give handouts to whiners and lazy people in exchange for votes - hand em their hats and send them packing.

Politicians who reward effort and help the truly needy - sing their praises and keep voting for them.

Anarchists who live in mommies basement at 35, draw food-stamps and play video games all day - Well, their Parents deserve it for letting the little creeps get away with it. leave them where they are.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by argentus

Thank you for the kind words. And no worries about not always agreeing with me. Sometimes I learn that I don't even agree with myself haha.

My parents are in Zambia Africa doing what they can to help people who smile genuinely despite having less than the average "poor" person here in America and so my idea for what constitutes grounds for complaining has decreased vastly. In fact, and I say this with great caution should there actually be gods out there who make ppl eat their words, I am not sure that one should be complaining about their experience in life no matter how bad. Then again, if my kids were starving outside of my control to do anything about it, not sure I could handle it.

We are soooo blessed here in America. Two years ago I was living in a travel trailer w/ two kids. We would snuggle together underneath close to 20 blankets with 2 heaters pointing directly at us, still shivering. Yet not once did I consider myself not blessed for at least having SOMETHING.

We were there for less than 4 months because I knew that I had the opportunity to figure it out for myself and so I did. Now we live in a nice neighborhood in a 3bdr (and one office)/ 2 bthr house in a quiet and pretty neighborhood. It can be done... I am no more intelligent than most and have no great special gift... just determined and refusing to be told no.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 08:04 PM
link   
There's another type of poor that doesn't get talked about much. The ones who work hard at not working. In my experience, the bashing of this type of poor is mostly jealousy, for they live richly while the rest sell their souls.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by asmeone2 That's another question worth asking: What constitues a decent living?

For too many it's not simply food, shelter, a job and a means to get there.

It's a Mcmansion, a new car, the latest cell phone/Ipod/game consol, 2000 cable channels, designer clothes.

And what's more, too many people act like they are owed these things... that if they can't afford it, there is something wrong with the system, not with them.

You so often amaze me. Your thinking is well beyond your physical years and ppl would be wise to take note when you post.

You are right. Here in America (at least), our generations that have not seen the kinds of hardships that have been felt by those before us and are being felt by others elsewhere in the world. We complain at the smallest of inconveniences (and lack of comfort that we deem necessities) and sometimes I think the only way we will stop all this greed is by something drastic happening. Something MORE drastic than what we are seeing now.

It would be hard to go through and I am not keen on the idea of something devestating happening, but I am assured that I can handle it as I am able to easily adapt to change (in fact, I thrive on it..... the lows teach me MUCH more and help me to see the important things in life) and I know those who are hard workers and don't complain but rejoice in seeing life at all will be just fine.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 08:28 PM
link   
I really don't think it's about 'poor bashing' but 'lazy bashing'. It has been said many times over. I have relatives that will do anything to avoid getting a job and whatever money they do get goes for alcohol or drugs while their children run around dirty and hungry. I have seen it too many times. I am only slightly above poor and just below middle class. Whatever I get goes to my children first, whether it's food or clothing, because it is my first priority is to take care of them.

I think a lot of people have misplaced priorities. My kids don't always get what they want, but they always get what they need. I have never been too proud to take any job, including scraping out the hearts and lungs of chickens all day long. I thank God everyday I don't have to do that anymore, but someone had to take my place and I hope that they will get out of that job too.

I don't think any of us here have any problems with helping out our neighbors when they fall on hard times because most of us have been there.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by justamomma

Amaze? Well that's an awful heavy word for it, I just do my best not to sugar-coat.

Most people in the USA, indeed I'd say most who have the means to post here, have no idea what it means to be truly poor. We might have flirted with it... like you and the trailer... but for us, there is always a way up.

What we consider "poor" is hardly so. It's really so easy to make a life in this country if you are realistic about comparing the quality of life.

I think 90% of the American kind of poor are that way because they choose to be so. Either they are too lazy to work a job or get the education to get a better one, they get emotional milage off of complaining about being poor, or there is some kind of substance abuse involved that prevents them from keepign a high-paying job, or using the benefits of that job to keep them out of poverty.

Then I notice that some people seem to have the idea that every job should come with the same pay and benefits, no matter what. I'm sorry but I think that's a load of hocky. Jobs typically pay in proportion to how skilled one is and how much education and experience one can bring, and in some cases on how many human lives depend on the job they do. Being a doctor or a lawyer or an architecht takes a whole lot more experience and learning that being a cashier, a janitor, or a telemarketer. Anybody off the streets can step into the last 3 examples, but the preceeding trio takes years of study and rigorous testing and licenssing. In terms of skill, (not personality) some people are worth more because they have invested more in themselves--they shouldn't be called out to protect the egos of someone who hasn't.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 08:42 PM
link   
I heard one great man in congress (*ahem* ron paul) make a VERY good point. The monetary system we are riding on is a hoax. Instead of being slaves who have our homes and food taken care of, we are slaves who are required to provide for ourselves. Great scam and honestly, if I weren't so empathetic, I would be wishing I came up with the idea first.

I personally am in the process of coming up with a trade agreement with others (one service for another service). people would be surprised how many are willing to go for that these days if presented in the correct fashion and backed with real knowledge of what is going on. When we are trading services with one another, we are no longer relying on those who would try to keep us in debt to them.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by LostNemesis
reply to post by counterterrorist

I think the Constitution never wanted Federal Govt to grow to the massive size it has.

The founders of the Constitution intended for there to be a U.S. Treasury to issue money, not a corrupt collection of immoral private bankers, such as the interlocking directorate that now privately owns the Fed for the City of London.

A publicly owned U.S. central bank as envisioned by those who fought the U.S. Revolution against private central bank domination -- would neither charge interest nor use fractional banking.

The only use of interest is so private bankers who are the money-issuing class can profit off of others. Same for stock -- simply vampires at work.

[edit on 22-10-2008 by counterterrorist]

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Oldtimer2
just watch an episode of COPS,how can you tolerate this

Did you forget that Bush and his nazi and neo-nazi cronies bring in the drugs and the NWO trafficks in drugs, weapons, oil, money, terroists and slaves.

Turn Cops lose on the real drug dealers, who get immunity from the City of London and Fed NWO scumbags ... then you might have something to watch on tv that mattered.

Stop picking on the victims, start eliminating the fascist neo-nazi interlocking directorate of the Fed/ City of London.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by justamomma
I personally am in the process of coming up with a trade agreement with others (one service for another service). people would be surprised how many are willing to go for that these days if presented in the correct fashion and backed with real knowledge of what is going on. When we are trading services with one another, we are no longer relying on those who would try to keep us in debt to them.

There's no way to truly get rid of what you are calling the slavery aspect, though. Even in your idea, you're still "Slaving" by providing that service to the people you are trading with.

That being said,I think you have a good idea. I'm curious if you are working out a set value for everything being traded--i.e, two apples are worth one pound of meat--that is universal, or if it's strictly up to the two people doing the trading?

It reminds me of the grocery coops when I was a kid.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 08:55 PM
link   

I am not anti-poor folks although I have been accused of such because of a couple of views that I hold to.

First off, the poor here generally are actually not so much poor but more inclined to purchase comforts and consider them necessities rather than taking care of the essentials and saving.

I hope you can experience foreclosure, loss of your job, and become homeless so that you can purchase comforts and consider them necessities rather than taking care of the essentials and saving.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by nine-eyed-eel
there is all this sentimentality about poor people ... some persons are okay, most are garbage and when we consider poor people as a group, statistically, they are stupider than rich people

c'mon, statistically ... show me 1 statistic that backs up what you think.

I make ten bucks an hour, thank you very much

Well, you said you make $10 an hour. Would you consider yourself stupid or rich? Or, is $8 an hour stupid. Or, is it $7.50. How much does it cost to be stupid, anyway.

Did it ever occur to you that the people who make $1,000 an hour are stupid. Did it ever occur to you that according to your logic, the fascists and nazis are the smartest people of all, because they just murder others and take their money -- how smart is that? ... in your eyes.

compassion is not a virtue

What is a virtue? Are there any?

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555
Working people who try, the disabled who can't, those who would if they had an opportunity - give em whatever they need and then some more.

Well said, spoken like a true gentleman or rogue, whichever you prefer to be.

Whiners and lazy people who demand everything for nothing - let them starve.

No one demands everything for nothing. It's not human nature. You've invented that concept, pal. Even thieves and murderers break a sweat.

Politicians who give handouts to whiners and lazy people in exchange for votes - hand em their hats and send them packing.

like for example the rotten bankers who just stole 800 billion dollars from us, what should we do with those whiners and lazy fools?

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 09:11 PM
link   

No one demands everything for nothing. It's not human nature. You've invented that concept, pal.

I can only assume you haven't met very many humans...

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by justamomma

Well said, you got a star from me.

My great grandmother was a single mother of 4 girls. They always had a roof over their heads and food in their bellies. Due to their own hard work, not handouts.

My Grandpa, was an orphan, went to live with the people who adopted his sisters as a hired hand. He signed up for the marines, and till the day he died he swore by the millitary. He said it was guarenteed shoes on your feet and food in your belly.

Both my grandparents worked, their butts off. I learned from my mom and Grandma, how to make a dollar stretch. How to make my own applesauce, how to cook wild game, how to make a chicken feed a family of 6, three different times. How to make my own curtains, clothes when necessary. I also learned how hard it is to earn a dollar and the wisest ways to use that dollar. We never considered ourselves poor. We never asked for handouts. The adults always worked hard, and did what they had to do to take care of their families.

My mom and grandpa used to tell me about the mustard sandwiches they used to eat when my mom was a kid. They would say, it tasted better than just bread, and a lot better than humility. It wasnt fancy, but it was bought with thier honest hard earned money. There was pride in that....back then.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 09:18 PM
link   

reply to post by argentus

Sometimes I learn that I don't even agree with myself.

?

I say this with great caution should there actually be gods out there who make ppl eat their words, I am not sure that one should be complaining about their experience in life no matter how bad.

People don't complain like you suggest. That's a myth. It's a SHEEPLE myth. The complainers are complaining about OTHERS, not about themselves.

It's interesting your parents are in Zambia "helping people" as colonialists? ...preachers? ...do gooders? Are they with World Vision? Where do they get money from to travel to Africa and help poor people.

Or, on the other hand, perhaps you're a genuinely good person, who doesn't compare poor people in one country with poor people in another -- so YOU can judge THEM -- then say don't worry, you'll all be living in 3-bedroom houses with an office, too. Like me.

That's true entitlement.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 09:30 PM
link   
asmeone2: For too many it's not simply food, shelter, a job and a means to get there. It's a Mcmansion, a new car, the latest cell phone/Ipod/game consol, 2000 cable channels, designer clothes. ...too many people act like they are owed these things... that if they can't afford it, there is something wrong with the system, not with them.

justamomma: You so often amaze me. Your thinking is well beyond your physical years and ppl would be wise to take note when you post.

counterterrorist: You both amaze me.

justamomma: You are right. Here in America (at least), our generations that have not seen the kinds of hardships that have been felt by those before us.

counterterrorist: Yes, we pity the poor illuminati who have ruled the world for the last 1,000 years and we pity all the poor kings and queens, too. And we pity the pharoahs, we pity all our reich (opps, Freudian slip) ...all our rich ancestors. Have you ever lived in a cult?

justamomma: sometimes I think the only way we will stop all this greed is by something drastic happening. Something MORE drastic than what we are seeing now.

counterterrorist: like the second coming of the big Sheeple in the sky?

justamomma: I am not keen on the idea of something devestating happening, but I am assured that I can handle it as I am able to easily adapt to change.

counterterrorist: yada yada yada. It's NOT about YOU handling it, it's about preventing genocide and starvation and shearing the sheeple.

justamomma: (in fact, I thrive on it..... the lows teach me MUCH more... and I know those who are hard workers and don't complain but rejoice in seeing life ...will be just fine.

counterterrorist: can you say, amen? selfishness can always reach a new low. You talk about luxury like you understand it.

True luxury is helping others, not in blowing your own horn. It is a priviledge to help the poor, to help the needy. Your parents know this, apparently. Are they native to Africa or are they colonists?

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by counterterrorist

Originally posted by nine-eyed-eel
there is all this sentimentality about poor people ... some persons are okay, most are garbage and when we consider poor people as a group, statistically, they are stupider than rich people

c'mon, statistically ... show me 1 statistic that backs up what you think.

I make ten bucks an hour, thank you very much

Well, you said you make $10 an hour. Would you consider yourself stupid or rich? Or, is $8 an hour stupid. Or, is it $7.50. How much does it cost to be stupid, anyway.

Did it ever occur to you that the people who make $1,000 an hour are stupid. Did it ever occur to you that according to your logic, the fascists and nazis are the smartest people of all, because they just murder others and take their money -- how smart is that? ... in your eyes.

compassion is not a virtue

What is a virtue? Are there any?

well, as mentioned, there is the whole book, "The Bell Curve", full of statistics, towards the conclusion that your IQ is more highly correlated with your income than any other identified factor
and is it your experience in everyday life that poor people are somehow unjustly or by magic deprived of the fruits of their intelligence? because my experience, thoroughly soaking in the poor milieu, is that
poor people are always doing something wrong (wrong here means self-defeating, self-indulgent, short attention span...the type of errors that intelligence may offer some chance of avoiding)
and I mentioned the ten bucks to avoid the criticism that I have never encountered poor persons...but I am just one data point, statistic is not the plural of anecdote
stupidity is not generally recognized as helpful in most areas of life, why should being stupid not negatively impact your earnings? is it just a big lottery, therefore, your actions, and your choices, and your brains to guide your choices, that doesn't come into account?

that has not been my experience in this world, nope, not so much...but maybe you have observed different areas where it works out differently...do tell

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join