It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would the Last Honest Reporter Please Turn On the Lights?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Please take a moment to read this editorial column, written by Orson Scott Card. This man takes a good, fair look at the state of journalism today and I think he hits the nail right on the head.

Full Article

Bravo.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by nyk537

I can't believe there are no responses to this article! The accusations made by this liberal democrat reporter are perhaps the largest story of our time.

The author, Card, makes searing accusations of integrity, unfairness, perhaps even journalistic malpractice in the way they have handled the reporting of the subprime collapse. If you listen to them you would think Republicans, Bush, or McCain were responsible for this debocle. The Dow has lost 36%, people have all but lost their retirements, established banks have collapsed, the world financial structure is in shambles! For goodness sake, couldn't the media find out what the problem is and report it correctly?

Oh, goodness no they can't because Democrats like dear old Barney Frank, Chris Dodds, Pelose, Obama and others are to blame and we have to cover up, obfuscate and cover their butts because, why Obama might not get ellected!

And it's ok to burry the real story. All the other reporters are doing the same thing so we're all in it together. We'll let the story out eventually, maybe! And probably whitewash it in the process!!!!

Think of how this story would have been handled if Bush, McCain or other Republicans HAD been responsible? As Card said it would already be called Housing-gate or Fannie-gate! There would be high level investigations in both the House and Senate! Heads would tumble! But since it's their own buddies that caused the debocle it's all hush hush!!!

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Yes, why aren't journalists reporting on this

Looks like Card, and the two of you have some reading to do.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Well, halaluja! A liberal has responded!

Just a thought. How does the Republicans not enacting regulatory reform regulations (allegations not withstanding) prove that Republicans are responsible for this debocle? Or that Republicans had anything to do with it happening in the first place? There is a whole list of efforts by Republicans warning that this would happen. There were repeated attempts by Bush, McCain and others to enact legislation that was blocked by Frank, Dodds and the paid off liberal legislators.

Your post is evidence that liberals are running around frantically trying to find a scapegoat for the problem that their liberal buddies like Frank, Dodds, Obama and a whole list of others caused to begin with.

BTW did you bother to read the entire Card article? You might start there. It is VERY enlightening especially coming from a card carrying liberal Democrat! It is a breath of fresh air indeed that someone, SOMEONE in the liberal media cares about integrity, what is right, moral values and not just Obama political correctness. The cost of this deliberate liberal media flub is now in the 10s of Trillions of dollars. Does ruined lives, ruined retirements, lost homes, familly strife and suffering mean nothing? Or is it so important to preserve the liberal legacy of the 70s?

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Yes I read the article, it's just a bunch of "wah wah wah the Democrats did it even though the Democrats have only been majority for two years"

Did you even read my article? A Republican firm covertly lobbied other Republicans during their election cycle to not vote for the 2005 reform bill (the one that McCain supported and touts so much) in order to keep it from drumming up further support so it would die. The firm was paid money by Fannie and Freddie Mac to do this, so no it's not just the Democrats that caused this mess, the Republicans were swayed by Fannie and Freddie just as much as Democrats were.

But please have some bread with your whine

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 07:27 AM
link   
This isn't just whining that the Democrats caused this alone my friend.

You're article even goes into detail at how there is ample blame to go around. The point of this mans article is to highlight how the only blame we hear about through the media is the blame that falls on Republicans.

If you only watched the MSM, you would believe that the Democrats had absolutely nothing to do with this, and that all of them are little angels.

This man is pointing out the hypocrisy and the flat out horrible job of the media in covering anything these days. I don't think part can me argued.

The MSM is dead.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Did you even read my article? A Republican firm covertly lobbied other Republicans during their election cycle to not vote for the 2005 reform bill
reply to post by davion

Thanks Davion, I did.

You have searched diligently and found one small piece of blame to put on those horrible Republicans. Thanks!

You are, however, not an analyst, you're not a journalist, your opinion doesn't count any more than mine. However, through the years as the OP and Scott Card so magnificently said, the Republicans and conservatives, the opposition to the Community Reinvestment Act, the Clinton 1999 Bank Merger Act and any efforts to reform these Acts to possibly save the nation (and in fact the world economys) from collapse were systematically dismissed, downplayed, made fun of, ignored and called racist, biggoted and etc. by the MEDIA.

Indeed, if the Republicans HAD BEEN given fair coverage in the media, if their ideas had been carefully and justly analysed, then how could this possibly have happened? An informed public would surely have chosen reasonable solutions that would have avoided the collapse we are now suffering!

However, an unbiased media is a preposterous joke as we now see! Everyone suddenly realizes the media is incredibly biased to the left.

My point is how much more human suffering, economic carnage, and financial capitulation needs to happen before we decide to do something positive and correct the bias?

BTW the social healing, the slow process of rebuilding confidence in our financial structure is just beginning and will last months, if not years, IMHO.
Would this possibly be due to the fact that the best and finest of our political leaders like Barney Frank and Chris Dodds, heads of the House and Senate Finance Committees repeatedly and forcefully said again and again that there is nothing to worry about, that everything will be "just swell" (Barney Frank)? While the lap dog media sits by carefully avoiding any (in depth?) analysis to the contrary!

So as you watch your 401K balances tank, and your prospects of a comfortable retirement dwindle as the weeks progress, just thank your "friendly, unbiased MEDIA" for making it all happen for you!

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 10:48 PM
link   
So an article that Card wrote that was featured on the Drudge Report finally convinced you that the media is biased? I thought not trusting the media was a requirement to sign up to this website.

If the media was actually unbiased we'd be hearing about how the Republicans were lobbied and coerced into not voting for the reform act of 2005, but I don't hear anything like that in the media. I mean, if the media is so left then we should be hearing about it right?

I wouldn't say it's small piece of blame, because Republicans have used the whole bill for reform in 2005 as some sort of rally cry on how evil Democrats are, and now it turns out the Republicans were in on it too.

[edit on 23-10-2008 by davion]

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 01:33 AM
link   

So an article that Card wrote that was featured on the Drudge Report finally convinced you that the media is biased? I thought not trusting the media was a requirement to sign up to this website.

Hi Davion,

Finally convinced? OMG! Maybe 35 years ago. I am hoping that Card's piece will convince at least a few if not many. It did recieve some USA national coverage on Rush but that was about it.

If the media was actually unbiased we'd be hearing about how the Republicans were lobbied and coerced into not voting for the reform act of 2005, but I don't hear anything like that in the media. I mean, if the media is so left then we should be hearing about it right?

The reform act of 2005 is a Brittish bill that most Americans know nothing about but that is important to you over the pond. Please enlighten!

now it turns out the Republicans were in on it too.

Democrats are madly running around trying to find evidence of Republican involvement. Nothing significant yet. Only allegations and finger pointing.

If this were a Republican problem heads would have fallen, it would be called Housing gate or Fannie gate. But since it the culprits are Democrats the problem is ignored till after the ellection.

Isn't the world a wonderful place? (For Democrats)

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 02:52 AM
link   
I'm talking about the Federal Housing Enterprise Regulatory Reform Act of 2005, what the hell are you talking about.

The article I provided shows that Republicans were involved in being lobbied by Fannie and Freddie through DCI, a Republican firm. You're claiming that the media is biased against Republicans yet I haven't heard any news about this article in the main stream media, of course if it was then there would be a reason to drag Republicans through the dirt especially after they've lambasted Democrats for apparently "blocking it"

[edit on 24-10-2008 by davion]

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 09:59 PM
link   

I'm talking about the Federal Housing Enterprise Regulatory Reform Act of 2005

Thanks for the clarification! My Google search (of Reform Act of 2005) came up with a famous Brittish bill. And thanks for pointing out the details of the Letter, the bribery, the lack of media attention. The media sucks. Point well taken!

Edit to add that after rereading your article it refers to the legislation as Hagel's Bill or "reform legislation" and never said the name of the bill. It's obviously and important piece of legislation as it is one of several proposed that could have saved our bacon but was defeated. Will the MEDIA someday give us the straight story?

[edit on 24/10/08 by plumranch]

new topics

top topics

join