It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meals on Wheels?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Just watch me get to work in my huge, monster 4x4 and it'll be Wheels on Meals, I reckon!

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 05:55 AM
link   
..."On a serious note for a moment, it really sickens me to think about how much food/shelter/health care $700 Billion could have provided. I think if we had asked for $700 billion to bail out people in need Congress would have laughed and said "We don't have that kind of money" yet when wall street cronies need it we suddenly have it."

Hmmm. I guess I'm going to have to put on my Republican hat for a minute....ahummm ...ahummm (clearing throat). *As much as I hate to

If we gave the homeless & low income families 7 billion dollars (we, as American citizens, would never see the benefits from that investment -- excluding Walmart -- hehe). However - if we ensure that the "big businesses" have the money...we'll eventually see it - after they take their cut - of course. We'll se it in the way of salary, insurance, interest rates and dividends (or whatever else you "really' smart people come up with).

I know...I KNOW - there are drawbacks to the "trickledown" effect & we are seeing the repercussions right now. But it's not because the initial idea was faulty. The theory that allows tax breaks to the "wealthy" (who by the way - are the ones that write most of our payroll checks) actually makes sense; but it's all of the "special interest" fingers that dip into the pie along the way that causes most of our problems.

With that being said...I fully support a government that acts as an insurance policy...insurance ONLY...nothing else. If the "big dogs" fall - pick em' up but the second time - no WAY. What's that old-age saying ..."One time, shame on you ...two times, shame on me?"

Yeah... shame on us. Shame on me. I've sleeping through most of this absurd legislation being passed. I was assuming that my "congressmen" had my state's best interest at heart. Right. Instead, the AK congressman was making some sweetheart deal with Florida ( no offense Flo). But right now the sleeping populace of the US needs to wake up!
And, as Jack (from the beasnstalk) knows - nothing is more frightening than a Giant who has just woken up from a nice long nap!

Time to stretch & roar!

We need to elect officials that represent the people - NOT SPECIAL INTEREST GROUPS!

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alaska
We need to elect officials that represent the people - NOT SPECIAL INTEREST GROUPS!
You're right. To listen to McCain speak, as far as he's concerned there's only one special interest group. Veterans. So he's going to give them the world and screw the rest of us.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by emsed1

your OP brought a smile to my face

ive done volunteer work for the salvos a few times and they are one of the very few charities ill give money to because i know the money will go to where its supposed to, usually they get me at the pub when im playing the pokies *grumble grumble* kinda hard to say no to giving them money to help others when im blowing my money on garbage like that

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 06:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by LowLevelMason
It was a large sign (and only a two lane road separated us from her yard, so it was easy to see) that read "FREEMASONS WILL GO TO HELL." She actually did that on and off for 6 months during meetings.

I do hope it wasn't a fully illuminated neon sign...

I really hope she finds out you guys were flipping the bill.

To the OP, I did get your sarcasm, but only because I'm somewhat familiar with your posts. Usually a liberal use of
emoticons makes the sarcasm easier to detect. (but IMO, it was pretty obvious in this case)

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 06:17 AM
link   
reply to post by emsed1

Man, I gotta tell ya. It's been some time since I have laughed so hard at anything.

This thread is aces.

On a side note, I use to deliver meals on wheels once upon a time.
that is all.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 06:18 AM
link   
I knew it, I knew it, I've been saying it for years. all those charitable types picking on the homeless and desperate, slowly breaking them down with kindness whilst guiding them towards this new cult called the human race. I'm off to get rich so they don't get me

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 09:33 AM
link   
It looks like that despite our rough times economically that folks are still giving to charity.

I saw a (admittedly tiny) news blip this morning that says 51% of Americans donate to charity and it doesn't look like the giving has tapered off much since things started getting tighter.

I am sure we will get the usual news-reporter-serving-Thanksgiving-dinner type stories over the next couple of weeks. It's a shame they only show up at the soup kitchens once per year, but at least they are doing a little.

The thing that always cracks me up is the politician with the rolled up sleeves and unbuttoned collar sitting down to a turkey meal with the unwashed masses at a homeless shelter.

There is always the one guy in the back looking on anxiously and hoping he is not the last one in line when they say they wound up a meal short.

Anyway, I hope folks remain charitable this year. Just remember when you donate stuff to the food pantries and the canned food drives -- Poor people don't like to eat saltines and 'wax beans' any more than you do. Pony up some of the good stuff instead of just using it as an excuse to clean out your cabinets or get discount tickets to "Winter Madness" at your local Six Flags park.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join