It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1.3km wide asteroid to hit North Atlantic in November 2008?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Is their a site where i can see a list of Asteroids coming towards Earth?

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by TSOM87
Is their a site where i can see a list of Asteroids coming towards Earth?

neo.jpl.nasa.gov...

There ya go

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Even a 10 mile wide object would not kill all life on earth, nor all of man, nor change the whole atmosphere of earth to an uninhabitable state, especially if it hit in the ocean.

A 50 mile wide rock? Yup... I can see that really screwing things up, still not wiping out life on earth.

Seems science is a little more of a doomsayer than the preachers and the holder of less common sense than a genius possesses.

Really got to think logically. It really doesn't matter much if the object is going 50,000 MPH or 2,000 MPH, the trajectory etc. Like I said, there would be plenty devastation but still not enough to kill all the people of earth.

Believe me, I'm in an area that would be of certain wipe out risk & yes, I admit, I will die in such an event, if true. But the great majority of this earth will carry on like it was 9/12/2001. Don't forget me folks. LOL!

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 03:04 PM
link   
change the angle from 45 degree's

it makes one hell of a change i believe try around a 22 degree angle

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by DirtyHarry
Although.....

On Friday the 13th, April, 2029....

An asteroid will come so close to the Earth that it will actually DIP BELOW our communication satellites.....

That means that it will pass between earth and our satellites...thats AMAZINGLY close....a few degrees of direction caused by gravity could put the asteroid on a collision path with Earth....

I heard about this on the history channel, havent done any research myself, so I dont know the size, or name of this asteroid....

I think it's this one:

JPL

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by DirtyHarry
Although.....

On Friday the 13th, April, 2029....

An asteroid will come so close to the Earth that it will actually DIP BELOW our communication satellites.....

Apophis

Looks like it'll miss, but still the most likely major impact in our lifetimes - though its return in 2036 is the biggest danger

www.space.com...

neo.jpl.nasa.gov...

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Atlantican
Even a 10 mile wide object would not kill all life on earth, nor all of man, nor change the whole atmosphere of earth to an uninhabitable state, especially if it hit in the ocean.

A 50 mile wide rock? Yup... I can see that really screwing things up, still not wiping out life on earth.

Seems science is a little more of a doomsayer than the preachers and the holder of less common sense than a genius possesses.

Really got to think logically. It really doesn't matter much if the object is going 50,000 MPH or 2,000 MPH, the trajectory etc. Like I said, there would be plenty devastation but still not enough to kill all the people of earth.

Believe me, I'm in an area that would be of certain wipe out risk & yes, I admit, I will die in such an event, if true. But the great majority of this earth will carry on like it was 9/12/2001. Don't forget me folks. LOL!

To tell you the truth I think your very nieve
I dont know where the hell you get your info from but you do realise a 10km asteroid killed the dinosaurs, but you say a 10mile wide asteroid = 16.1km would not kill everything hmmmmmm and then a 50 mile =80.4 km, eight times more than wiped the dinos out still wouldnt wipe us out, hmmmm that is just not logic

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 04:42 PM
link   
1.7 K Asteroid in the North Atlantic won't kill me here in Arizona...

It could... due to climate and etc, but I am sure I have what it takes to survive a period of misery and starvation...

North Atlantic Hit...
LOL China isn't towing Asteroids yet is it?

Seriously

all of the coast of North America Gone all the way to the Adirondacks, England, Iceland, the Entire Coast of Western Europe ..Gone, in an hour...

Shorty After, Siberia, Northern Canada, Northern Alaska... Gone... North Pole fractures into pieces, Ice drift begins...

several hours after, flooding all the way to the plains states as water rushes in and out of the mississippi, the tidal wave will actually break the mts and also flood into the plains states, water from entirety of islands in Atlantic Gone, shores of everything from Venezuela, Brazil, Argentina and anything else on the cost of South America... Gone... Ditto for Africa... Tsunamis wouldn't be as bad beyond the portions of SA and Africa past the jutting portions of the continent..but still, I'd guesstimate several times larger than the Indonesia Tsunami... devestation

The Wave now hits almost 3/4 of a day later the Antartic coast, another set of ice shelves colapses, around now the pressure from water west of the adirondacks and up the missisippi sets offThe New Madrid fault line, whats not underwater ruptures into the largest EarthQuake of our time, also prior to this Tsunamis have flooded, the mediteranean, anyone in in southern or western Europe not in the alps or at altitude is flooded, the middle east, Isreal, turkey, Greece, Italy, Saudi Arabia, coastal cities are gone long before now...

Simultaneously, Water Vaporized from the Ocean Impact has condensed enough to begin to fall, Hurricane force storms Ravage Europe and head East across everything from the Mideast to Northern Europe/Russia, catastrophic flooding even in the mountains is omni present in those regions

Day 2 The Tsunami continues reverberating off Antartica, Japan, Southern, China The South Pacifc Islands, Australia, New Zealand, India... all the way to the West Coast of the USA and Alaska Experience a Tsunami at least as powerful as the Indonesian one several years back, all coastal cities in the pacific and Indian Ocean need to eveacuate, waves of refugess flood Inland...

Today the Super storm has spread all the way to China and Eastern Russia, Dams break, cities are flooded just as those fleeing the coast of China reach Inland, the storm hits, those that make the Himalayas and other mountain ranges are safe from water but not winds unless they find shelter

Somewhere in this time line having hit in the Atlantic the pressure wave has traveled across the globe, the Pacific Rim Volcanos, many of them Blow, Japan China, Russia and the Middle east experience 8.0 + earthquakes...

Worse by now the Lake Toba Caldera in ndonesia being on the opposite side of the globe will have Blown, the largest type of Volcanic eruption possible, activity in the Yellow Stone and Southern European Calderas will follow as the initial shaking stirs them and the return pressure wave forces magma upwards..

So one full scale caldera explosion and 2 minor ones, (although minor is 100x a massive ordinary volcanic explosion)

Day 3, Multiple volcanoes and several calderas have poped, the skies are turning black worldwide as smoke rises, the superstorm has now reached the United States West Coast fue by the Pacific and flooding across whats left of The North American continent begins, what lessened intensity there is, is offset by the Yellow Stone Caldera mixing it with smoke and ash... posion Mud falls from the skies, frozen and toxic, the food belt of the world or what remains of it is decimated

Day 4 low scale rain is falling worldwide, now becoming snow, the water from the floods is starting to freeze, what was the coastal cities of the world is turning to Ice, several if not more nuclear plants have gone China syndrome, radiation is mixing with watervapor, dust and volcanic ash, the fall from the sky will continue hevay blanketing the earth with this toxic concoction, small Earthquakes and remanants of hurricans complicate everything...

Day 5, broken ice sheets chill the northern waters and southern waters accelerating the global chill, the next few weeks will see with alarming speed the world freeze from Northern Usa, southern Europe to the Pole and in the south as High as newzealand australia argentina and south africa...

Ice caps extend from all the worlds mountain ranges... even in Brazil an Ice sheet decends from the andes into the rain forest

80% of the Earth is locked in ice...

Years of freezing follow until slowly he ice caps start to shrink, roughly 90% of the human populaton will not survive...

The Good news in a North Atlantic strike scenario?

Here in AZ, I am last hit by the storms, the Yellow stone Caldera explosion ash falls just a couple hundred miles shy of landing here, there is penty of time to shut down the reactor and the place will remain free of ice cap across 80% of the state but be moist for farming

In a north Atlantic strike I survive unless someone kills me for food....

sory for the other 90% of you lol...

But, at least the human race will survive a strike of this nature... In parts of Northern India, parts of the Southwest USA and Mexico, Western China and Parts of South America and Northern Aussie and NZ and Central Africa

Everyone else any other locations mostly your dead...

So a species extinction event, No...

But it makes a nuclear war look fun from my guesstimates

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by welivefortheson

Yeah I think you are probably right.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Big splash. Shortness barometer trash. Big splash.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Essan

Apophis

Looks like it'll miss, but still the most likely major impact in our lifetimes - though its return in 2036 is the biggest danger

www.space.com...

neo.jpl.nasa.gov...

Even then they have the track from southern Russia over the Pacific to northern South America. They say the devestation will be regional but restricted to a narrow path and doesn't look like it will throw us into an impact winter. The odds are it wont hit and hopefully the margin of error gets smaller and smaller.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by altered_states
To tell you the truth I think your very nieve
I dont know where the hell you get your info from but you do realise a 10km asteroid killed the dinosaurs, but you say a 10mile wide asteroid = 16.1km would not kill everything hmmmmmm and then a 50 mile =80.4 km, eight times more than wiped the dinos out still wouldnt wipe us out, hmmmm that is just not logic

The potential devestation would depend on trajectory and velocity of course. Conditions which killed coldblooded megafauna may not be so unadaptable to humans and other mammals and warm blooded animals.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 06:19 PM
link   
.09 AU is not even close to hitting the earth. 1 AU is the distance between the sun and the earth. So this thing is roughly 10% of the distance to the sun away at it's closest point. That is REALLY far away.

Why does stuff like this get posted? And how in the world do they get north atlantic projection? Oh, because it's DISINFORMATION.

www-istp.gsfc.nasa.gov...

Kepler's laws agree with all observed planetary motions, and by the table in the previous section, they give the correct proportions of all planetary orbits. If the mean distance of Earth from the Sun is 1 AU ("Astronomical Unit"), then that of Venus is 0.723 AU, of Mercury 0.387 AU and that of Mars is 1.524 AU.

[edit on 22-10-2008 by badmedia]

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Atlantican
It really doesn't matter much if the object is going 50,000 MPH or 2,000 MPH,

Are you kidding us or yourself?

If something was heading in at 2,000 mph I don't think I'd be too worried myself..But 50,000mph... 25 TIMES the impact of whatever size object? thats a huge difference.

The object that hit the atmosphere recently was only a couple of meters across.but exploded with a force equivalent of 1 to 2 kilotons of TNT.

Hiroshima 12.5 kilotons.

Your scenario 50 miles wide at 15 miles per second. 45 degree.

6,110,000,000,000,000,000 Tons of TNT

(Earth weighs
5,972,000,000,000,000,000,000 tons)

Even 6,000 miles away you'd be 10ft deep in molten ash.. After you were hit by an 800mph shockwave.. 11.8 earthquake
Half an hour after impact.

The shockwaves throughout earth would cause every fault line on the planet to break and probably every volcano to erupt..and make a few more besides.

In other words.. It would get pretty hot,pretty difficult to breath,pretty difficult to see. and after a few years when the dust cools.Pretty dark and cold.
All plants would have died,all animals too.

If you'd locked yourself for years in an impenetrable bunker somewhere.
You'd be buried in tens of meters of ash and if you could find your way to the surface.. There'd be no atmosphere left.

Pretty sucky.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 06:55 PM
link   
It wont happen people...It wont happen. The watcher will make sure of that!

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by TH3ON3

An asteroid heading in of that magnitude will do more for religion than 2000 years of preaching.

I know I'll be taking stock of my sins..after a few more bottles of smirnoff and a few naughty women.

Hallelujah.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Ok for anyone else concerned...Should you start worrying, panicing, stocking supplies? NO. Nothing related to an asteroid hitting the earth is going to happen next month. Even if NASA has no intentions of telling us, we would have seen signs of preparations by them by now. The Svalbard seed vault makes me wonder at the most, but I don't think NASA is involved with that.

Let's put a ban on all of these end of life scenarios that keep coming up here. All it does is cause unnecessary worry, panic, and stress for people. I'll let you all in on a little secret...There is nothing YOU can do to stop something like this or something similar. If the end of the world is going to happen, all you can do is make the most of the time you have left with friends and family. There is no prophet, preacher, machine, formula that can predict the end. I can assure you though, it will happen eventually, but none of us can do anything about it. Every generation has their signs of the end, but that's just it. They are signs. Nothing more.

"Species come and go, but the earth stands forever fast."- In Flames

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Just great! I am in NC. There was a guy on Coast to Coast last night talking about what would happen if something like this was to happen. I will have nightmares tonigt for sure!

Originally posted by downtown436
So in my journey through the bowels of the internet, I have found several different people talking about this potential asteroid impact.

If the JPL site is right it will miss.
85236 (1993 KH) is the object in question.
ssd.jpl.nasa.gov...
It should miss us by 36.7 Lunar distances, or .09 AU. I don't know the number of miles, but it is millions.
neo.jpl.nasa.gov...
That said, NASA and the gov't have admitted that if a destructive object was going to hit, they would not tell us. (according to the poster in this thread)

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Here is a thread from that "other" forum that says this has been channeled to Dr. Boylan.
www.godlikeproductions.com... mind you it doesn't say the name of the asteroid, but based on the size given I thought it might be 85236 (1993 KH) that he is referring to.
At first glance it looks like this guy is loony, but I don't know. If anyone knows about this guy you should post here. He was on coast to coast, so there may be some shred credibility here.
www.drboylan.com...

Joe Biden mentioned a crisis, and Colin Powel said that on Jan 21-22 09 there would be an event.
newsbusters.org...

www.youtube.com...

So I know it's a long shot, and I am not moving to an uninhabited lava tube in Hawaii, or preparing for asteroid doom, but it's interesting to think about.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by altered_states

There is GREAT debate happening on what really killed the dinosaurs. Seriously, there is. Very serious debate at that.

And now on with my troll like humor...

Even so - They didn't have:

blankets
fuel made from dinosaurs (hehehe)
well built & thermally insulated housing
a leader that says "yes we can" or "nuke you lar"

I say screw the dinosaurs. It's good that they died so now all the believers in biotic oil can drive their cars knowing they are cleaning up the toxic waste in the ground caused by nature, creating a grand tax scheme to provide free health care!

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by AGENT_T

I know what you are getting at, but inertia is our friend in this case.

Shoot a BB at a clay soccer ball from 2 feet away dead on, then at whatever trajectory. I know it pales in comparison but the scale of mass, speed and gravity would be the same or similar. If you want to emulate the atmosphere, have an ice layer 1/4 inch thick and 1.5 inches outside the clay ball. Repeat the test. Yes the ice might shatter and the resonance would be awesome but over in China they will still be making cheap counterfeit Gibson Les Pauls the day, week, month, year after impact. Komodo dragons will be struttin their stuff in Indonesia and over in Saudi Arabia & Iran they will still be ruled by closeted horse riding boy lovers.

The inertia and velocity will surprise you, should this happen. Yes devastation might hurt half the continent. So what? Sure beats a slow radiation death from the other doomsday scenarios. Though If I could pick a part of the world for it to impact I would be feeling sad as there are more than a few 500 sq mile zones that we could do without and only a measly .62 mile rock to work with. Shucks!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join