It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1.3km wide asteroid to hit North Atlantic in November 2008?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 01:21 PM
link   
So in my journey through the bowels of the internet, I have found several different people talking about this potential asteroid impact.

If the JPL site is right it will miss.
85236 (1993 KH) is the object in question.
ssd.jpl.nasa.gov...
It should miss us by 36.7 Lunar distances, or .09 AU. I don't know the number of miles, but it is millions.
neo.jpl.nasa.gov...
That said, NASA and the gov't have admitted that if a destructive object was going to hit, they would not tell us. (according to the poster in this thread)

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Here is a thread from that "other" forum that says this has been channeled to Dr. Boylan.
www.godlikeproductions.com... mind you it doesn't say the name of the asteroid, but based on the size given I thought it might be 85236 (1993 KH) that he is referring to.
At first glance it looks like this guy is loony, but I don't know. If anyone knows about this guy you should post here. He was on coast to coast, so there may be some shred credibility here.
www.drboylan.com...

Joe Biden mentioned a crisis, and Colin Powel said that on Jan 21-22 09 there would be an event.
newsbusters.org...

www.youtube.com...

So I know it's a long shot, and I am not moving to an uninhabited lava tube in Hawaii, or preparing for asteroid doom, but it's interesting to think about.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 01:33 PM
link   
OH man, I sure hope not!

However, what would an asteroid of that size do to the earth? Like how much of it would burn/break up in the atmosphere?

Anyone got any ideas?

--- I'll probably be chilling on the roof with a 30 pack of Bud Light!!! I mean, if it's gonna be bad... then why not go out in style! I'll be wearing my shades ---->

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by ou_sooners_19
OH man, I sure hope not!

However, what would an asteroid of that size do to the earth? Like how much of it would burn/break up in the atmosphere?

Anyone got any ideas?

--- I'll probably be chilling on the roof with a 30 pack of Bud Light!!! I mean, if it's gonna be bad... then why not go out in style! I'll be wearing my shades ---->

It would kill everybody on the planet.

Discovery Channel has done a couple of detailed documentories on similar scenarios.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 01:37 PM
link   
It better be really later november,my birfdays on the 23rd

I want shiney new things!!

edit cos I can't spell.

[edit on 22/10/2008 by Acidtastic]

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 01:40 PM
link   
how much damage ... you better start believing in evolution becasue almost all complex life is gone

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 01:41 PM
link   
as ive just stated in another post,its all psycholigcal manipulative malarchy.

as werner von braun espoused,first there will be terrorism,then rogue states,comets and then an alien invasion,and its all a lie designed to confuse depopulate and scare us into distraction away from who really is the threat.

niburu and bin laden are the prime examples,a big old moon and man that could hit us at any minute,folks see the truth,see thier deception its all future ai,they are the enemy,the one whos killing us and keeping us down.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Wouldn't that be ironic: as we obsess about 2012's Nibiru and Blossom Goodchild's mothership, we're hit by a good 'ol asteroid.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 01:48 PM
link   
What would be more ironic is if it had a big huge "Dodge" logo on it... haha

^ A little dane cook humor... gotta love it!

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by welivefortheson
as ive just stated in another post,its all psycholigcal manipulative malarchy.

as werner von braun espoused,first there will be terrorism,then rogue states,comets and then an alien invasion,and its all a lie designed to confuse depopulate and scare us into distraction away from who really is the threat.

niburu and bin laden are the prime examples,a big old moon and man that could hit us at any minute,folks see the truth,see thier deception its all future ai,they are the enemy,the one whos killing us and keeping us down.

In my opinion you are right. I think there are some aliens but I think many of the UFOs are manmade and used to manipulate. Wasn't one of the crop circles saying that they did not like the deceivers on Earth?

Impacts happened with great frequency in the early Earth history which is pre life some 5B years a go give or take. Our system is now much more in balance. Still things that could end it all but what are you gonna do?

Carol Rosin:

I used to have this in my signature

What is the pattern throughout humanity? What is Reinhardt talking about? hoagland says he has been told "the lie is different at every level".

Take time to consider what is reality.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 02:19 PM
link   
can someone explain more specifically how an asteroid that size will wipe out the whole planet? what will happen during and after impact?

for instance, if the asteroid hits america, lol, how will we in NZ perish?

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by downtown436

It should miss us by 36.7 Lunar distances, or .09 AU. I don't know the number of miles, but it is millions.

It'll pass 36 times further away than the Moon .... there are loads of objects that come much, much closer every year.

There's more chance of me shooting you in America with a 303 rifle fired in England.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I tend to think if one does ever wipe us out it wont be one we have been watching there seems to be a few of these asteroid scare storys every few months and while it's true one may eventually hit us I think the odds of living a lifetime without that scenario are quite good and wont worry about it.

That being said if one came from the direction of the sun we would never know what hit us and that is a scary thought.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by ll__raine__ll
can someone explain more specifically how an asteroid that size will wipe out the whole planet? what will happen during and after impact?

put it this way if a 100 metre asteroid hit earth it would cause a crater 2.6km wide (roughly) if a 1.3km asteroid hit earth, 2.6 x 13 = 33.8= 33.8 km wide crater = toatal anihilation of every human, animal plant life etc nothing would survive

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by ll__raine__ll

If it impacted in the ocean it would create a tsunami up to 200m high that would inundate any coastline for about 300Kms inland. It would probably also rain a lot of dead fish down on countries hundreds of miles awaylol.

If it impacted on Terra ferma it would blow more material into the air than Mount Everest. Acid rain, fire storms (from falling molten rock) and a nuclear winter would ensue. All complex plant and terrestrial life at least would become extinct within about 2 months.

In short, an impact of this size would be an E.L.E (Extinction Level Event)

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Although.....

On Friday the 13th, April, 2029....

An asteroid will come so close to the Earth that it will actually DIP BELOW our communication satellites.....

That means that it will pass between earth and our satellites...thats AMAZINGLY close....a few degrees of direction caused by gravity could put the asteroid on a collision path with Earth....

I heard about this on the history channel, havent done any research myself, so I dont know the size, or name of this asteroid....

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by ll__raine__ll

well it will be a bit of a race to what kills you

first there will be a massive flash flame that will spread a good distances from the impact zone could potentially ignote most of the atmosphere

then you get massive world wide earthquakes and volcanic eruptions springing up pretty much everywhere

then if your still alive youve got a couple of rididculously large tsunami that will potentially just loop aroudn and meet on the other side of the planet

then you have all the totally messed up atmosphere from the dust and various crap thrown into the atmosphere making it a)potentially poisonous b) not real good for plants to grow

been a while since i watcged any metero kills the world documentaires so it may need a little tweaking but basically if you survive the initial impact your in for one hell of a rough ride

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 02:44 PM
link   
www.lpl.arizona.edu...

If the projectile hits chicago i should be ok lol

Impact Effects
Robert Marcus, H. Jay Melosh, and Gareth Collins

Please note: the results below are estimates based on current (limited) understanding of the impact process and come with large uncertainties; they should be used with caution, particularly in the case of peculiar input parameters. All values are given to three significant figures but this does not reflect the precision of the estimate. For more information about the uncertainty associated with our calculations and a full discussion of this program, please refer to this article

Your Inputs:
Distance from Impact: 6440.00 km = 3999.24 miles
Projectile Diameter: 1400.00 m = 4592.00 ft = 0.87 miles
Projectile Density: 1500 kg/m3
Impact Velocity: 18.00 km/s = 11.18 miles/s
Impact Angle: 45 degrees
Target Density: 2500 kg/m3
Target Type: Sedimentary Rock

Energy:
Energy before atmospheric entry: 3.49 x 1020 Joules = 8.34 x 104 MegaTons TNT
The average interval between impacts of this size somewhere on Earth during the last 4 billion years is 6.8 x 105years

Major Global Changes:
The Earth is not strongly disturbed by the impact and loses negligible mass.
The impact does not make a noticeable change in the Earth's rotation period or the tilt of its axis.
The impact does not shift the Earth's orbit noticeably.

Crater Dimensions:
What does this mean?

Transient Crater Diameter: 11.1 km = 6.92 miles
Transient Crater Depth: 3.94 km = 2.45 miles

Final Crater Diameter: 15.3 km = 9.53 miles
Final Crater Depth: 0.673 km = 0.418 miles

The crater formed is a complex crater.
The volume of the target melted or vaporized is 2.16 km3 = 0.517 miles3
Roughly half the melt remains in the crater , where its average thickness is 22.1 meters = 72.5 feet

Thermal Radiation:
What does this mean?

The fireball is below the horizon. There is no direct thermal radiation.

Seismic Effects:
What does this mean?

The major seismic shaking will arrive at approximately 1290 seconds.
Richter Scale Magnitude: 7.9
Mercalli Scale Intensity at a distance of 6440 km:

Nothing would be felt. However, seismic equipment may still detect the shaking.

Ejecta:
What does this mean?

Almost no solid ejecta reaches this site.

Air Blast:
What does this mean?

The air blast will arrive at approximately 19500 seconds.
Peak Overpressure: 373 Pa = 0.00373 bars = 0.053 psi
Max wind velocity: 0.878 m/s = 1.96 mph
Sound Intensity: 51 dB (Loud as heavy traffic)

An asteroid of this size wouldnt threaten life on this planet as it is... Maybe wipe out a small country.

[edit on 22-10-2008 by mrman81]

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 02:44 PM
link   

(2008 TT26) 2008-Oct-23 0.0092AU 3.6LD 51 m - 110 m

How about this one scheduled for tomorrow.
Comes 10times closer then the one in november.

Btw predictions from the linguistics department talk about a giant bang/crash heard around the world somewhere in nov/dec.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 02:47 PM
link   
A 1.3 kilometer wide asteriod is 1,300 meters wide or approximately 3,900 ft wide. It has been estimated that an extinction event could only occur if the object was 6 miles or larger in diameter.
The east coast of the North American Continent as well as the other land masses in the North Atlantic would be damaged or destroyed but there would be no planetwide damage. It would not wipe us out.
Is that math right? I think so 1 meter=3.2 ft.

[edit on 22-10-2008 by spookjr]

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by mrman81

well i like your scenario best, lol.
thanks for all the answers. interesting stuff!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join