It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vote Smart

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 01:02 PM
link   
OK - so I've been debating in my head how to vote in the upcoming election. Right after the Republican and Democrat nominees were announced, I knew that I'd be voting for a third party. Neither of the two big candidates represent what I want in a president, so why not pick the person who I think best fits the bill?

Now I've been doing more thinking and in the last few weeks I've come to the conclusion that I don't want an Obama Nation. I could go through all of my reasons why, but suffice it to say that between the top two candidates, I definitely DON'T want to see Obama win. Unfortunately, the polls seem to say that he is in the lead and many people are already gearing up for an Obama presidency. That scares me.

Turn to McCain. He is also not the right person to run this country. I don't agree with almost anything he is for (in an online test at ontheissues.org he ranked lowest), but I honestly think that I would be much more afraid if Obama won. I don't like many of the ideas that McCain has put forth, and I think that administration would not be too far off from the current Bush debacle, but if I just compare McCain to Obama I've begun to think that I definitely don't want Obama. Period.

So my thought process has been something like do I change my vote to McCain just to try to prevent the worst possible outcome (Obama) from happening? We all know that a third party candidate has no chance at all to win. None. So am I wasting my vote? Could I actually be helping the greater evil win by voting third party? If I vote my conscience I might feel better about it, but the country is worse off! Well, that was my thought process.

I then thought harder. I don't believe in voting for the lesser of two evils. Evil is still evil and I'm not selling my soul. Unfortunately, most Americans are stupid. Led by the media to whatever product/service/candidate they force feed down their throats. "Trust us! We know what's best for you!" Even if I voted McCain to try to prevent a national disaster, 99% of Americans who are voting "lesser of two evils" or who actually would probably vote a third party if they thought they had a chance will still not change their vote. I guess I could start a grass roots movement, but honestly, that could make very little difference if any.

So now I'm back to voting for the third party candidate that I think would be the best president for America. I feel better that I voted from the heart. I'm voting for good, not evil. And honestly, when it comes down to it, all of your votes may not even mean ANYTHING since I totally believe that there is rampant and widespread voter fraud (just take a look at the last few elections!) and whoever controls the voting machines wins the presidency. So now I feel good about my vote and I'm doing the best thing for our country. DON'T vote the lesser of two evils; vote smart. If McCain or Obama is your man, then vote that way. I'm not here to convince you that my way is right. Just vote for who you feel is the best man for the job.

Hopefully in one to four years from now you can say that you did not make a mistake. I know I won't.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Nobody can tell you what to do. The best thing for self appeasement would be to follow your gut.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I think you'd be surprised how many people are voting third party this year.

There's a couple threads on ATS that you should read through to get a sense of where people's heads are at.
www.abovetopsecret.com...'

and...

www.abovetopsecret.com...'

I too will vote third party. I can't stand all this nonsense about wasted votes and what not. Seems to me voting for the underdog makes your vote count the most. While the third party won't win this time around, it can hopefully make a bit of an impact. I think thanks to Ron Paul, third party ideals already have.

new topics

join