It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Selective Memory Erasure

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Maybe coming to a government agency near you?

"WEDNESDAY, Oct. 22 (HealthDay News) -- It sounds like science fiction, by scientists say it might one day be possible to erase undesirable memories from the brain, selectively and safely.

Using a complex genetic approach, U.S. and Chinese researchers believe they have done just that in mice, but the feat is far from being tested on humans."

Full Article

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 02:08 PM
link   
I'm surprised they are actually gonna make this a mainstream thing.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Someone's been reading the Artemis Fowl series.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 03:29 PM
link   
I can see this having legitimate use, but also a tremendous potential for abuse by government, or anyone who manages to get thier hands on the technology.
Then there is also the argument that erasing memories diminsihes us a person, as we are all shaped by our experiences.
Personally, I like all my memories- both good and bad. Because they're mine.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Thought Will Smith was having a laugh? What is white world now is black world 30 years ago.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 03:36 PM
link   
They've been tinkering with this for a while with a drug called propranolol.

Interesting thread on it here: www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 03:41 PM
link   
I think they already use this, its called materialism and vanity, somehow, it erases some peoples memory of past historical events that mirror those of today, or at least it erases the memory of motivation for doing something about having a concern either way for such.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Imagine the day when someone you own money to throws you in a car, beats you up and renders you unconscious. They dump you on the side of a road, and use a "tool" (a'la Men In Black) to remove your memory of the attack and replace it with an urge to settle your debt...
I mean, this technology in the wrong hands would be really bad.

new topics

top topics

join