It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Monks with Guns???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 11:14 AM
link   
I found this very interesting. Its amazing what happens when frustration with your government gets center stage among the peoples notorious for non-violence!

www.csmonitor.com...

Zindo

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Why not, right? You can be anti-violence and still defend yourself. It takes a special kind of moron to be anti-violence to the point they would just allow themselves to be brutalized. It's one thing to think or even know that your unprovoked victimization makes the aggressor 'less' than you ethically and morally but if the aggressor isn't particularly self-conscious or concerned with image then your just getting beaten, raped and murdered for no reason whatsoever and it isn't going to stop unless you do something about it.

No amount of Yuppies white kids and their little concerts will ever 'Free Tibet' or stop any other situation they pretend to find so appalling.

Remember in Rambo when the missionaries wanted to bring Bibles a war torn region? Yea that was just a movie. But it's the truth.

Good for the monks.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 11:24 AM
link   
The Shaolin in China brought down an entire Chinese army with 200 Monks with weapons. It could happen again!!!

Zindo

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 11:30 AM
link   
More power to them. Though I'm not sure Buddha would approve. It certainly does bring entertaining visuals to mind. Now I'm off to write my shaolin rambo screenplay.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Warrior Monks are a terrific prospect. They would be fighting for something they truly believe in, and for the freedom of their own soil.

Against the titan of the Red Army, they may not have much chance, but they will sure as hell cause a riot. The Red Army soliders, while no doubt proficient, just won't have the same passion for the conflict as the monks.

Perhaps the monks should contact the society of the nine unknown men.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Ahhh .. life and experience make you cynical

I smell Israel and the US here

'Younger, more radical monks -- with guns ' ?

Yes, I definitely smell Israel and the US

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by ZindoDoone

Though Buddhism is traditionally associated with nonviolence, Mr. Zawta says the junta does not respect life or Buddhism, forcing some monks to take this extreme position.

"The regime is like a rabid dog," Mr. Zawta says. "It bit us and infected us with militancy. The old ways aren't working – the only solution is to arm the people.

"Some of the old monks preach caution and tell us to focus on patience and the Buddhist way," he continues. "But many of us are realizing that we have to go out there and do something."

Thanks for the post. The examination of one's beliefs and the break from tradition are all playing a role, as they always have. Traditionally, prior to the Saffron Revolution, they were more widely respected as a force that had some, if little, influence on local politics. Things have changed. Sad to watch, but an interesting development nonetheless.

ColoradoJens

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

It takes a special kind of moron to be anti-violence to the point they would just allow themselves to be brutalized.

Did you just call Jesus a moron?

If you don't believe in an afterlife, then by all means arm yourself. Surprised monks would take such a view of the material world, though.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Ya, Its always the US and Israel. What drivil, pure ignorance that we are always the cause and NEVER the solution. How Judaism has anything to do with Buddists is realy quite foolish. Oral Diahria in its worst form!

Zindo

top topics

join