It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Slowing Earth's rotation down

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2004 @ 04:45 PM
link   
No

the expansion of atmosphere that creates wind will expand in all directions but while at one side hiting a wall or a mountain at the other side there will only be more air wich will be colder and would not stop the expansion by aplying counterforce but by destroying the cause - heat

posted on Mar, 30 2004 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Now... the amount of water in the lakes in North America IS affecting the rotation very slightly, but not as mch as the effect of our moon. And even that is still very slight (on the order of one second of slowing per 100,000 years or so.)

This is most definately not true. the amount of water in the great lakes would not slow down the rotation of the earth cuz' in space there are no forces that would make mere water slow down the rotation of an entire planet. please re-look your statement. only the moon pulling away from the Earth has a slowing effect on the Earth

posted on Mar, 31 2004 @ 01:58 AM
link   
A member of our Troubled Times group has done some investigation into
the Navy database of dates/times for this or that, and something very
interesting has emerged! The Navy has, it appears, manipulated their
data in the area of Equinox and Full Moon. Bear with me, as I�ve got
the graphs that were produced from the data. The message from the
individual who gen�d these graphs is at the bottom of this post. If you
think the Navy is precise, this guy is Mister Precision (he is the same
individual who noted that his watches and clocks were running faster by
a minute and some seconds per year recently, and who the heck notices
that!).

It seems the days/hours between Full Moons not only moves
about within a year (I noticed a long swing between 10 and 15 hours within a year) but over years also. This is related to a longer or shorter perihelion for the Earth, I gather. that there are regular peaks of long perihelion years in 1994, 1997, 2000. Thus, the increase in time between full moons I noted from 1998 to 2000 was just the normal variable.

Please note on the PERIHELION CHART

For the rest of the article click on the link.
www.zetatalk.com...

This is some very intresting info indeed!

Out,
Russian

posted on Mar, 31 2004 @ 02:13 AM
link   
El Nino slows down the earth:

El Ni�o temporarily caused the day to grow longer by slowing down the Earth's rotation, according to Dr. John Gipson of NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Md. The increase was slight, about 0.6 milliseconds (6/10,000 of a second) at its peak, and required extraordinarily sensitive measurements from the Very Long Baseline Interferometery (VLBI) network, a global array of radio telescopes, to detect. El Ni�o increased the speed of the atmosphere, which slowed the Earth's spin.

Tides slow down the earth:

The interaction of the Moon and the tides is pumping angular momentum out of Earth's spin and into the Moon's orbit.

angular momentum:
A quantity obtained by multiplying the mass of an orbiting body by its velocity and the radius of its orbit. According to the conservation laws of physics, the angular momentum of any orbiting body must remain constant at all points in the orbit, i.e., it cannot be created or destroyed. If the orbit is elliptical the radius will vary. Since the mass is constant, the velocity changes. Thus planets in elliptical orbits travel faster at perihelion and more slowly at aphelion. A spinning body also possesses spin angular momentum.

Earth already slowed down and is still slowing:

Based upon interpretations espoused by leading researchers in this field, it is widely believed (based upon coral fossils) that the annual cycle of the ancient past contained more days than the current annual cycle (which is 365.24). The indication that the ancient year contained more days is interpreted to mean that the spin of the Earth has gradually slowed across millions of years.

www.xs4all.nl...
imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov...

Hope this will answer your questions.

Out,
Russian

[Edited on 31-3-2004 by Russian]

posted on Mar, 31 2004 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Read this thread also, it has some of the same, but alittle diffrent. Maybe even the same.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[Edited on 31-3-2004 by SpittinCobra]

[Edited on 31-3-2004 by SpittinCobra]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join