It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Slowing Earth's rotation down

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2004 @ 08:01 PM
link   
I just remembered a show on discovery channel about the Himalai ( the mountain where Everest is - the highest point on earth ) and someone said that the mountain was capturing so much winds that it was actually slowing earth's rotation down.

At first I thought that's imposible but afterwards it became clear to me that the earth and the atmosphere are two different objects that just have the same orbit around the sun, more than that the atmosphere is like the moon - it orbits earth but it's speed is too low so it falls down and rotates simultaneously with the surface but not like a rock would do. The air is a made of gases -
that means ther molecules move haotically and are not directly connected between each other or to earth.

So I asked myself why does the air slow the rotation down when it moves with the earth and there is no friction?
Well the sun gives earth energy in form of radiation ( light ultraviolet infrared...) but the atmosphere lets the most part of that energy through so the earth is been heated and then transfers heat to the atmosphere.
But we all know that the surface is irregular so in some places the air is being heated to higher temperatures and expands more rapiddly and that is how wind arises.

Wind is an object with its own energy that hits a mountain....wind is a group of millions of meteors the size of a molecule......and that is how slowing earth's rotation down does not violate any nature law.

Now that we have cleared this ( I suppese everyone has heard of weather control ) imagine a machine not to
slow earth down but to accelerate it ( we just have to blow to the other side of the mountain ) with let's say
6km per second so that rockets have to only accelerate to 1km/s to go into orbit...........

PS: I'm open to other opinions an suggestions on the application of weather control and maybe rotation control

posted on Mar, 27 2004 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by vorazechul
PS: I'm open to other opinions an suggestions on the application of weather control and maybe rotation control

How about a suggestion to study Newton's laws?

Your post confuses me, because, I suspect, that you are confused by Newton's laws.

posted on Mar, 27 2004 @ 09:44 PM
link   

I just remembered a show on discovery channel about the Himalai ( the mountain where Everest is - the highest point on earth ) and someone said that the mountain was capturing so much winds that it was actually slowing earth's rotation down.

A little bit of physics would reveal that IF this is so, the amount of slowing is so impreceptable that it's almost unmeasureable.

Now... the amount of water in the lakes in North America IS affecting the rotation very slightly, but not as mch as the effect of our moon. And even that is still very slight (on the order of one second of slowing per 100,000 years or so.)

posted on Mar, 27 2004 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Wouldn't there be winds on all sides of the irregular areas of the Earth, thereby counteracting its own effects?

posted on Mar, 27 2004 @ 11:25 PM
link   
the earth's rotation is slowly and steadily slowing down... it'll stop rotating in a few billion years. so don't worry about it happening anytime soon. also, it's not from mountains or wind... it's from the earth's core cooling down. as this happens, the earth slowly stops rotating. think of the earth as a spinning top; eventually all of the energy will go away.

posted on Mar, 28 2004 @ 03:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by HowardRoark

How about a suggestion to study Newton's laws?

Your post confuses me, because, I suspect, that you are confused by Newton's laws.

I'm sure I'm right about this . Maybe I didn't explain it right but it is possible it is like mounting a rocket engine
somewhere let's say with the nozzle upwards and if it is strong enough it will push earth from its orbit - mount it with the nozzle to the east and it will slow earth's rotation down .
Now think of the wind as of the engine exhaust and the engine itself is a plase on earth where the air is being heated to higher temperatures by the sun .
The heated air now expands in all directions east south north west upwards but not downwards ( so it pushes a little on the ground too) . To the east there is only more air while to the west there is a big mountain and the expanding air (wind) hits it so the mountain and the ground act as the walls of the combustion chamber and the heated gases (air) couses thrust on them which slows earth's rotation down.

I hope that helped because I know I'm right....I know all of Newton's laws

posted on Mar, 28 2004 @ 03:55 AM
link   
I was expecting more posts from you.
The topick isn't only about slowing earth down but also for other creativ ideas on the use of weather control

[Edited on 28-3-2004 by vorazechul]

posted on Mar, 28 2004 @ 08:50 AM
link   
I was going to post again last night, but the board had a hicup and I had trouble reading threads.

Anyway

Lets talk about Newtons laws, shall we?

Remember the first law?

I. Every object in a state of uniform motion tends to remain in that state of motion unless an external force is applied to it.

When you think about the motions, orbits and rotation of planetary bodies, it helps to remember one key element.

Space is for all practical purposes, frictionless. Friction, is one of the principle forces that we see, on earth that can change the motion of an object. But in space, there is no friction for the Earth to "rub against," therefore, there is no external force being applied to the Earth to slow down its motion.

The gravitational pull of the sun and the moon are evenly applied to all parts of the Earth, so gravity alone does not account for the change in the Earth�s rotation.

What there is, is tidal friction. This is the friction of the water molecules against each other and against the continents and as the gravitational pull of the sun and the moon distorts the shape of the oceans.

The same tidal bulge also exists for the atmosphere, but to a much, much less degree. I suspect that this was what your program was talking about.

Winds alone would have no effect, because the atmosphere is moving along with the Earth, and in a planetary sense, there is no friction with an outside force present.

I get the feeling that you are imagining the Earth as spinning inside an atmospheric cloud where the movement of the atmosphere is somehow disconnected from the movement of the Earth. This is just pain wrong.

This is also why your idea of huge rockets to change the rotational speed of the Earth is silly. It is like trying to pick yourself off the floor by reaching around to the back of your pants and lifting up. You won�t get off the ground, but you will give yourself a wedgie.

Oh, BTW, the atmosphere does have one other effect on the rotational speed of the Earth. This is related to the conservation of angular momentum cased by seasonal movement of large air masses.

[Edited on 28-3-2004 by HowardRoark]

posted on Mar, 28 2004 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by cmdrkeenkid
the earth's rotation is slowly and steadily slowing down... it'll stop rotating in a few billion years. so don't worry about it happening anytime soon. also, it's not from mountains or wind... it's from the earth's core cooling down. as this happens, the earth slowly stops rotating. think of the earth as a spinning top; eventually all of the energy will go away.

??????

What does the temperature of the core have to do with the sped of the Earths rotation?

posted on Mar, 28 2004 @ 11:23 AM
link   
This is also why your idea of huge rockets to change the rotational speed of the Earth is silly. It is like trying to pick yourself off the floor by reaching around to the back of your pants and lifting up. You won�t get off the ground, but you will give yourself a wedgie

Now I understand why I can't convince you
You obviosly got the principal of a rocket engine all rong

please read my first post here
www.abovetopsecret.com...

and if you still don't understand it I will have to explain it to you posting from a science book

As for my knolidge on Newton's laws.....last year there was a physics competition in my countrty and I was the best one in a region expanding over half of the country
Newton's are the simplest i've learned beleave me that I'm not joking and as for that article on discovery channel I heard and understood everything because it was pain simple

posted on Mar, 28 2004 @ 03:52 PM
link   

This is also why your idea of huge rockets to change the rotational speed of the Earth is silly. It is like trying to pick yourself off the floor by reaching around to the back of your pants and lifting up. You won�t get off the ground, but you will give yourself a wedgie

Now I understand why I can't convince you
You obviosly got the principal of a rocket engine all rong

please read my first post here
www.abovetopsecret.com...

and if you still don't understand it I will have to explain it to you posting from a science book

As for my knolidge on Newton's laws.....last year there was a physics competition in my countrty and I was the best one in a region expanding over half of the country
Newton's are the simplest i've learned beleave me that I'm not joking and as for that article on discovery channel I heard and understood everything because it was pain simple

Well, the wedgie thing is kind of possible, try it to ur leg, try to lift it up. Only think u need is no nervous system to feel the pain and masive chest and arms.

[Edited on 28-3-2004 by Laxpla]

posted on Mar, 28 2004 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Look, there is only three ways that you could increase the speed of the Earth's rotation. the First would be an application of the conservation of angular momentum. Like I said, this happens on a seasonal basis and is quite minor, although it would be interesting to know how strong the effect was durring the ice ages.

The second method would require the expulsion of mass from the Earth, A lot of mass.

The third method would involve the impact of a large planetoid at an oblique angle.

None of these methods would be very desirable.

posted on Mar, 28 2004 @ 06:23 PM
link   
I would imagine that Mt everest is only a very small pimple in comparison to the size of the earth, and that any effect of the wind on it would be non existant. Of course the higher the mountain the LESS atmosphere there is around it.

I think its more likely that when Everest is on the "going down" side of the earth that it is likly to speed the earth up, and when its on the "going up" side (rotate an orange to see what I mean, ) then its slowing the earth down with its weight.

However if all the Chinese jump up and down at the same time, they will be able to later the orbit of the earth so that their winters become less cold.......

posted on Mar, 28 2004 @ 08:23 PM
link   
now I see you all think I'm making things up when you compare what I'm saying with absolute nonsece but you just prove I'm right, HardRock, oops HowardRoark I mean

The second method would require the expulsion of mass from the Earth, A lot of mass

well a rocket engine does exactly that --blow a huge (liquid)mass up--- and if you kinda think of it, warming the air with sunlight in a region is equial to an explosion in there and the shockwave is the wind get it

posted on Mar, 28 2004 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by cmdrkeenkid

Doesnt the Moon slow it down too?

posted on Mar, 28 2004 @ 08:34 PM
link   
well yes it does and if it disappears the earth would spin like a mixer creating unseen cataclysm

posted on Mar, 29 2004 @ 08:44 AM
link   
There was an article in discover magizine this month relating to the slowing of the earths rotation, its title was Leap seconds. Also here is a link that discusses this as well:

tycho.usno.navy.mil...

posted on Mar, 29 2004 @ 07:58 PM
link   

now I see you all think I'm making things up when you compare what I'm saying with absolute nonsece but you just prove I'm right, HardRock, oops HowardRoark I mean

The second method would require the expulsion of mass from the Earth, A lot of mass

well a rocket engine does exactly that --blow a huge (liquid)mass up--- and if you kinda think of it, warming the air with sunlight in a region is equial to an explosion in there and the shockwave is the wind get it

You would have to accelerate the mass to orbital esacpe velocity in order to have an effect, otherwise the mass would simply fall back down to Earth and cancel out any effect.

I'll tel you what. Why don't you try your hand at some math. Lets assume that you could accelerate one million tons of matter to a speed of 3/4 the speed of light, in a direction exactly perpendicular to the radius of the Earth, at the equator. ignore any effects of gravity between the Earth and the ejected mass and ignore any friction due to atmosphere. look up the mass of the Earth and the speed of it's rotation at the equator. calculate the perecnt increase in the rotation and get back to me.

posted on Mar, 30 2004 @ 03:47 PM
link   
OK you are right about the orbital speed
I like the idea but maybe we are going a bit of the main
question : can wind have an effect on earth's rotation.
I read about the tidal friction and I ask you how the hydrosphere of earth can slow it down and the atmosphere can't
Well it is possible because there is no violation of the law for preserving energy (it's not like trying to get out of a swamp by pulling yourself by the hair).

1) the tidal friction is caused by the gravity pull of the moon and the sun -- their gravity does the work

2)the friction by the wind is causd by the expansion of regions of the atmosphere which itself is being caused
by the light of the sun --- the sunlight transmits energy to earth and that energy can be converted to kinetical

tell me if you agree with me at least on this theoretical basis and I will continue to expose my thoughts OK?

[Edited on 30-3-2004 by vorazechul]

posted on Mar, 30 2004 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lyriox
Wouldn't there be winds on all sides of the irregular areas of the Earth, thereby counteracting its own effects?

good question.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join