It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prison boss demands right to jam inmates' cellphones

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Prison boss demands right to jam inmates' cellphones

www.theregister.co.uk

South Carolina's state prison chief Jon Ozmint is fighting for the right to deploy mobile phone jammers, in order to prevent criminals from staying in touch while they're out of circulation.

Ozmint believes it's impossible to control the flow of handsets into the prison even with random cell and body searches, and that mobes are becoming a currency within the penal system. Instances of lags running their criminal empires remotely abound, with at least one hit reportedly organised from the comfort of a prison cell. Ozmint reckons that the majority of prison escapes are coordinated using cellular technology.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 08:02 AM
link   
To me, this is a no-brainer. However, it seems there's a problem as apparently this kind of technology can only be used by "Federal officials", as the article puts it.

Normally, I'm up in arms against monitoring and interfering with communication systems but this seems so obvious and so deserving that I'm now actually looking for a conspiracy angle as to why this isn't allowed by default. I appreciate the 'oh noes! what if it falls into the wrong hands' view but that doesn't stop other technologies, weapons or devices being used.

www.theregister.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Wait a minute. Inmates have cellphones? Seriously? Call me naive but how is that allowed? I'm amazed by this --- not the blocking part but that they are allowed to have them at all.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 08:14 AM
link   
I didn't know they were allowed to have cellphones?!?

Hell, don't allow them to jam the cellphones; allow them to confiscate the cellphones. Inmates shouldn't have cellphones....

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Merriman Weir

This should be rolled out across the whole of the UK aswell, it seems to be a big problem in prisons. They should change all the electrical points in prisons to a unique shape where only approved appliances can fit - phones won't last too long without charge.

A friend tells me they have them active in the House of Commons, would be embarrasing if Brown's phone went off during a debate (cue crazy frog ringtone!)

Suppose there is a darker side too though, an ex employer of mine contemplated installing one at the front of his pub so that the punters wouldn't constantly come in and out to use their phones. Wether or not he was just toying with the idea I'll never know!

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by jtma508
Wait a minute. Inmates have cellphones? Seriously? Call me naive but how is that allowed? I'm amazed by this --- not the blocking part but that they are allowed to have them at all.

I don't think they're allowed cell phones (Well not in the UK anyway) I imagine they're smuggled in.

It always amazes me when I hear stories of drugs in prison aswell (Slightly off topic) but theses are meant to be secure facilities afterall!!

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 08:20 AM
link   
I'm having a nice time, Starring you all

Thanks for speaking for me

Agree with virtually every sentiment expressed in posts thus far

They have cellphones ? Didn't know that before reading this thread

Do I believe prisoners should be permitted to possess cellphones ?

No. I don't.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by jtma508

Originally posted by skeptic1
I didn't know they were allowed to have cellphones?!?

Hell, don't allow them to jam the cellphones; allow them to confiscate the cellphones. Inmates shouldn't have cellphones....

Lol.

Inmates aren't supposed to have mobile phones. However, it's a serious problem in prisons all over the world, particularly now phones are getting smaller and smaller.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Merriman Weir

Well, if your gonna smuggle one of those things in... better make sure you turn it off prior too insertion...

...you just never know when a telemarketers gonna call.

Fox.

[edit on 22/10/08 by fox_3000au]

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 08:54 AM
link   
I was going to add, I'm all up for the Prison Boss jamming those cell phones, but then I realized that's probably how they got them in there in the first place!!!!!!

Seriously, though . . . when did prison become skippitydoo fun time?

There's usually a reason why they're segregated from the regular workin' stiff law abiding folk . . . but I guess it just wouldn't be [sarcasm]fair[end sarcasm] to take away the basic human rights of these poor prisoners.

Besides, how the hell are they supposed to keep in touch with their business partners and distribution agents???

And we wonder why we lose damn near every war we're into . . . the war on drugs, the war on poverty, the war on crime, the war on homelessness, the war on . . . .

Never mind.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Thebudweiserstuntman

yeah but they are designed to stop people getting out not getting in or getting stuff in

there are plenty of cases of people breaking in to deliver various goodies

i remember one case mentioning prostitues, and the good news in breaking in means you build yourself a way out too so you get around its design purpose

but yeah deffinatley a no brainer to have phone jammers around a prison

[edit on 22/10/08 by noobfun]

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 09:01 AM
link   
People acted surprised by this stuff, which is actually what surprises me. It has been all over the news in one form or the other throughout the years. Used to be prison guards smuggling cartons of cigarettes in for the prisoners and getting paid by a contact on the outside. These guards were making over %1000 profit on these things.

Then there is the girlfriends who sneak in the coc aine or marijuana so their baby's daddy can have a good time while he's locked up.

Anything you want to get you can have in prison, for a price. It is just like the real world only more things are considered black market goods. Besides, these guys have plenty of time on their hands, and guards don't always following security protocols to a T, so it really isn't too difficult to get things in.

Add on top of this the fact the minimum security facilities allow off-ground working, these inmates have access to anything when they are out there.

Principal of supply and demand are everywhere, and criminals are just as aware of them as those outside are.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Prisoners will always be able to smuggle things in, have them brought in or have guards bring them in. That's how it is. Drugs and contraband in prisons is big business, gangs usually run the trade in everything from cigarettes to prostitutes.

There is no special a/c configuration the prisoners will not be able to hack, the human mind in prison is amazing in the ways they come up with to do things. They use the toilets to pass letters, drugs and weapons between cells, they use a pencil and a power outlet to light cigs, make spears out of newspaper. The list is endless.

Meanwhile, cell phones are capable of being smaller and smaller, eventually an implantable internet and phone link w/ GPS will be reality.

Not even 50 years ago prisoners were allowed to bring things in to make their stay more "comfortable", things that would amaze you. Furniture, clothing, servants.....

This is just another symptom of a completely broken and archaic corrections system. The re-offender rates should make it clear to anyone that we aren't solving anything. Rapists, pedophiles and other violent criminals go free in order to make room for non violent drug addicts. Prisons are big money in America, the Bush family counts several private prisons among their investments.....

new topics

top topics

join