It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama and " Future Gun Bans"

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 04:56 AM
link   
Look, all I have been hearing from my friends on the far right is that they are terrified Obama is going to try and ban guns. Specifically he will supposedly bring back the Clinton AWB and make it stricter. I think this is crap for several reasons. First, Obama wants to get elected again in 2012 if he wins. Any ban of any kind on any type of firearms or magazine will ensure that he will loose in 2012, and so will most of the dems in the house and senate. Another point is that even if he is dumb enough to try and pass another AWB it will be at least until after the summer of 09 before it comes up for a vote, and I am willing to bet my left you know what that it never passes. Even with dems in the majority. If one does pass, you can expect another Heller type case headed for the Supreme Court. And it will be well after 2012 before Obama puts anybody on the bench. So guns are off the table IMHO. This is a fear tactic being used by the right, and pushed along by gun companies who are showing record profit over this nonsense. McCain is more likely to ban guns if you want the truth. Even our current leader said he would sign a AWB if it hit his desk.....One has not. So, somebody please tell me why this is a issue right now? My guess is Obama will pass some kind of ban on selling guns at gun shows without a legit dealer transfer on a 4473. Which as a legit dealer is fine with me. That and I am betting a tax on ammo. That is probably it. So please everybody calm down. I am still voting for McCain, but on social issues like taxes and foreign policy. I am not dumb enough to follow the Obama is going to ban guns and enslave us crowd. If Obama wins fine. Life goes on. I will respect Obama as commander and chief. I also want to add that if one more person I know on the right calls Obama the n word, they will have a 6 foot tall 260 pound man smashing their face in. I am sick of this racism that is coming back like this is 1954. Lets all just calm down, and be happy that we still live in the best place on earth. Texas......lol.....Kidding USA.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 05:56 AM
link   
For a second there I thought you were talking about Oklahoma....

If you're a legit dealer, U2U me...I'm always looking for good guns for bargain prices

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 06:14 AM
link   
I don't get why Americans think they can't live without guns. I live in a country where anyone that isn't a cop or a soldier isn't allowed to have a gun. Yet strangely, i dont find myself enslaved... weird huh? Do you know what good this would do to your staggering crime rates?

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 06:19 AM
link   
Actually he knows that he can pass the AWB, because the American public have accepted it in the past.

He knows that he can pass regulations on gun show trades, civilian trades and will probably target "junk guns" at pawn shops etc since these are viewed as more malicious in nature by members of the public who aren't familiar with firearms (read California and NY).

He would, however, be stupid to try and revoke the right of individual states to issue concealed carry permits. If he tries that, not only will he lose the case in the Supreme Court, but will most likely be booted out in 2012.

However, if we wins again in 2012, he will most likely be able to nominate two or three more AJs on the Supreme Court (since Ginsberg, Stevens, Brayer are a bit long in the tooth). This won't shift the power too much, as all three are liberals, but would lead to a solid liberal base for the SupCo for the next 20 years or so.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 06:35 AM
link   
I dont get why people keep calling a 'conspiracy' and trying to tell me he pro-gun rights.

It's right on his damn site as not only his but the Democratic National Parties platform for the next Democratic administration:

They also support making the expired federal Assault Weapons Ban permanent, as such weapons belong on foreign battlefields and not on our streets.

origin.barackobama.com...-and-law-enforcement

When a gun ban is one of the things he's running on it's kind of hard to believe he doesnt want to ban guns.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 06:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kallyx
I don't get why Americans think they can't live without guns. I live in a country where anyone that isn't a cop or a soldier isn't allowed to have a gun. Yet strangely, i dont find myself enslaved... weird huh? Do you know what good this would do to your staggering crime rates?

Oh lets not start that here....I don't feel that I can't live without guns because I am an American. I feel that I don't WANT to live without guns because I'm an American. It is my right in my country and I exercise it.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 06:38 AM
link   
For Obamassiah to assend to godhood, he must disarm the masses.......Stalin, Hitler, Mao, Pol Pot all did the same..........

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 06:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Kallyx

Even the Brady Campaign admits through the charts and ratings on their own website that stricter gun laws and gun bans lead to greater gun crime. Take no.1 for instance. California. The Brady people love California for it's strict gun laws.

www.stategunlaws.org...

California, the state that has the most gun control and received Brady's highest score (79), has violent crime and murder rates that are 14% and 23% higher, respectively, compared to the rest of the country.

newsgroups.derkeiler.com...

D.C. is off the chart for out of control thuggary but because it's a state Brady's people didnt bother to rank it. D.C. has the strictest gun laws in the nation.

But this is about people like me not buying that Obama will leave me alone given that he has said many times he will not and that he is in fact running on a platform that specifically state he will come for me and mine. Not a thread about your misperceptions about guns.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 06:47 AM
link   

You absolutly incorrect, look at switserland, ever home has a mandated automatic wepon issued as each adult male is part of the citizen army, they have lower crime rates... why, would you try robbing people if you knew almost every home has a fully auto gun and a person trained how to use it..

Realize gund dont kill people , people kill people. ]

And yes i want my guns, not only for self defence but for hunting and providing food for my family.. that the main reason i'm a gun owner

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by heliosprime
For Obamassiah to assend to godhood, he must disarm the masses.......Stalin, Hitler, Mao, Pol Pot all did the same..........

Hitler did not ban guns. I know it sounds good as an Anti-control chant, but it is simply wrong.

Anyway, while not being American, I guess there is an awful lot of issues I´d consider more important than a revived AWB - not the least because he won´t take the risk of banning guns in general, so the extent of his gun policies remains to be seen. Especially given that the alternative is an elderly gentleman who´s run out of issues with a complete nutjob hick as VP, I personally wouldn´t base my opinion solely on such singular issues, and I respect you, Texas, to keep a cool head even as a dealer. But hey, its your country

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Kallyx

It might reduce them by a factor of 6 to 10 % as shown here by statistics put forth by the Bureau of Justice.

www.ojp.usdoj.gov...

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Well of course the reason that all those right wing conspiracy theorists believe that Obama will reintroduce such things as the 1994 AWB may have something to do with the fact that he has publically stated that he will.

On concealed carry:

"I am not in favor of concealed weapons," Obama said. "I think that creates a potential atmosphere where more innocent people could (get shot during) altercations."

Source - Pittsburg Tribune-Review April 2, 2008

On assault style rifles:

"Do you support legislation to ban the manufacture, sale and possession of assault weapons?"

Answer - "Yes"

Source - 2003 Independent Voters of Illinois – Independent Precinct Organization Questionnaire

AND FINALLY........an undated response in the Chicago Tribune:

"I believe we need to renew--not roll back--this common sense gun law," Obama said. - In reference to the 1994 AWB.

Are we convinced yet?

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 03:40 PM
link   
why is this political # posted here and not in the correct forum?

take your mccain and obama love elsewhwere

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 06:40 PM
link   

You absolutly incorrect, look at switserland, ever home has a mandated automatic wepon issued as each adult male is part of the citizen army, they have lower crime rates... why, would you try robbing people if you knew almost every home has a fully auto gun and a person trained how to use it..

Ammo given with that weapon is in sealed box and allowed to be opened only in case of military alert. plus swiss police is guite effective, what i have heard. Why shoot the robber and risking getting convicted yourself, when you can ask it back at court.

Problem is not guns, but small handguns. Iam from finland and by now everybody should know that we have lots of weapons. The thing is that most of those guns are hunting weapons like scoped rifles and shotgun. If you carry that kind of gun publicly, people see it and call police.

Concealed carry is an serious offense here and handguns harder to get. Probably even more after couple school shootings, which is good. there is no reason in here why somebody should have .22 assasination weapons. those guns are designed only to kill people. We don't have ridicilous fear for each other, which you americans seem to have. If somebody kills someone here, it is usually between people who know each other, both in drunk and with knife. Or somebody does an extended family suecide with shotgun.in here robbers usually flee as quickly as possible, if they are noticed.

You have a little cycle there: many persons has loaded guns-->robbers must allso have guns to be able to rob you--> more people get guns, because they fear armed robbers--> everybody has loaded guns --> everybody fear everybody, because anybody could start shooting at any minute-->somebody really does that--> people feel they need more protection--> back to beginning. You say guns has nothing to do with it. I would buy bulletvest first. It is more effective against guns than gun.

plus your guns do nothing if goverment turns against you. it will just do it in more subtle ways, if leaders are smart enough. Which it does not do because you live in a model DEMOCRAZY, right. relaz dont be so full of fear. It makes others uneasy when superpower is made of spooks chasing people, who trust no one . really uneasy.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Last time I checked, gang members, thieves and thugs dont lawfully own their firearms. Gun bans dont work, its pretty simple.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Aren't the majority of Dems already anti-gun? If Obama does win the presidency, couldn't an assassination or attempt be used to get an increase in support for gun bans beyond the AWB?

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Kallyx

Great. You live in a country where you can't own guns. Good for you. I bet you don't fly the American flag in your country either. I bet you don't have Saturday college football like we do. I bet you don't have a Senator with no experience running for President. I bet you don't have to look at that disgusting, plastic, Speaker of the House like we do.

What does anything that occurs in your country have to do with what goes on here in the United States?

Our of curiosity, does firearm ownership in the USA take anything off your plate?

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Post before that bad people dont buy firearms legally, sometimes they try.
Story I just found...

www.dailypress.com...

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by hopea

We don't have ridicilous fear for each other, which you americans seem to have.

Firstly, you Finns don't have half the world baying for your blood. You also don't have armed Mexican gangs running millions of dollars worth of illegal immigrants and drugs into your country. Your wilderness areas are also not filled with things that would like to eat you, and you do not have the high levels of violent crime we have here in our inner city areas.

We live in Arizona, and have already had to use a firearm in self defence, fortunately the presence of the weapon proved to be sufficient for 2 Mexicans to realise that they really didn't want to rape and murder my wife after all.

Of course to a liberal, a murdered young girl who has been strangled with her own stockings is morally superior to the same girl having to explain to a police officer why she just shot a rapist.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Retseh

I'm convinced people outside of America have no concept of the geographical size of the country, how ineffective the police are for a multitude of reasons, how gang control has taken over pockets from the most rural Southern town to entire sectors of major cities in the name of drug profiteering and keeping smuggling routes open.

They also dont get that there is no American 'culture.' Hell, in my state alone the perceived 'culture' swings wildly within an hours drive. Take two people 60 miles apart and ask them predetermined questions and you'd swear they were from different countries entirely. And its a small state.

I like the idea that concealed carry means youre up to no good. I believe this to be true yet urban-dependents have chosen to adopt concealed carry only to help shelter their life experience and further demonize gun ownership as an odd and shameful thing.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join