It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

London's buses go to hell

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bean328
If you think christian children are brainwashed into believing in God or watever you think then the same goes for athiest kids. You probly are going to try to persuade them to stay atheist when they get older.

What would some of you think if your child decided they didn't wanna be atheist anymore and wanted to be a christian.

well from personal experience with my niece

my mothers a christian through and through im atheist and my sister doesnt really care

my mother takes every opotunity to introduce my niece to the wonderful world of religeon signing her up for every activity group possible at her church

when she makes religeous comments i hold my tounge if she wants to be a christian thats her choice. ill trust her intelegence and intrest to show her the way for her

she is studdying evolution at school (primary) so its only really basic things but i helped her understand it and grasp the basics

she knows i dont beleive my mother does and my sister doesnt mind either way so she is safe in the knowledge what ever she chooses is fine

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by budski
This seems a little silly to me,

/Signed...

You are so correct, and only that statement says all!
This is silly, people are getting extremely silli this days, all the world are getting silly!! But what really terrorizes me is that all that silly things , people see as absolutly normal and justificable by all means!!...

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by dave420
They're more annoyed with theists ramming their religion down said atheists' throats. They obviously can not be angry at a god they don't believe in, by very definition.

Oh I disagree. Having spoken with many I am always amused to hear them start ranting about "How could God let such and such happen!!!"

They are often disillusioned with life and angry at the mere idea of a "loving god".

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sonya610

They are often disillusioned with life and angry at the mere idea of a "loving god".

funniest thing ive read all day thanks for the laugh im apprently bitter and twisted with life and all it holds so must have needed it

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 10:06 AM
link   
This is OT, but...

Your title made me think the buses in London are actually going to hell, as in they've paved the road and it costs a quid one way, which then made me think of Tom Disch's short story "Descending" which I think everyone should read. Several times.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Lets' cut to the chase and admit this for what it is: a provocation. I do not believe in God, call it atheism if you will(and I'm a little uncertain why some of the posters have spoken of atheism as position as if they are two factions of an ongoing debate since Atheism by its own definition is NOT a position).

I tend to judge by intention, and while there are certainly many vile people in the world, of all creeds and beliefs (or lack of), I judge this particular case as nothing more than a hypocritical stunt. I say this because:

a) You supply no evidence. (Isn't that what we call Theists out on?)
b) It changes no minds.
c) There is no immediate goal behind inital shock.

You may claim this is a battle of principle, that if "they can" so can I, but in doing so remember you are no longer in a position to criticize and have become that which you profess to loath.

My 2 Euro cents.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by GirlNextDoor
This is OT, but...

Your title made me think the buses in London are actually going to hell

awww come on theres some dodgy areas in london but calling them hell may be a bit strong ^_^

not read that story ill check it out thanks

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Sonya610

Note how I said 'more' not 'only'. And, also, that's a pretty good logical view of the actions of an apparently 'loving' god. I don't have to believe something to be true to be able to point out massive contradictions in the 'logic' of the believers.

I know it probably makes the debate easier for you if you think of atheists as members of the flock who have simply lost their way, but it's simply not correct.

Of course you are always going to get a few fruit loops in any group of people, believers and non-believers alike.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Oscitate

a) Evidence for what? That God doesn't exist? That's not how evidence works, nor what is trying to happen here
b) It's not trying to make non-believers out of believers, but to elevate the cause of atheism to that of religion. No-one bats an eyelid when a massive 'God loves marmite' poster is put up somewhere, but the fact we're having this discussion now means the two viewpoints on the same subject are not equally viewed by the public
c) I disagree, see b)

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by dave420

also they state god probabily doesnt exist, so its a possibe and even less proof required

unlike the thiest god does exist we have belief and that is proof

it also gets people talking about it, never a bad thing ^_^

and atheists are often cast as bad guys its nice to spread a little love and happyness around becasue all is fine life is good enjoy it

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 10:53 AM
link   

I know it probably makes the debate easier for you if you think of atheists as members of the flock who have simply lost their way, but it's simply not correct.

I am beginning to think YOU maybe a god hating athiest!

Why would you assume I believe in an Abrahamic God? I don't, I find the idea to be rather silly.

I am a panthiest, I don't mix God up with morality.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 10:55 AM
link   

reply to post by Oscitate

a) Evidence for what? That God doesn't exist? That's not how evidence works, nor what is trying to happen here
b) It's not trying to make non-believers out of believers, but to elevate the cause of atheism to that of religion. No-one bats an eyelid when a massive 'God loves marmite' poster is put up somewhere, but the fact we're having this discussion now means the two viewpoints on the same subject are not equally viewed by the public
c) I disagree, see b)

Hi Dave.

a) Since we're being picky about definitions, I'd like to point out that "cause of Atheism" is a contradiction in terms, and that the absence of a position is not a position. But I think we both know what each other is getting at. By bringing up evidence I was merely reinforcing the fact that it is a provocation (which you obviously disagree with)

b) I'm not in any way saying that I'd protest if I saw the slogan. However, I'm only pointing out that the strategy adopted here is hypocritical. If that's acceptable to you, then fine. Apples and oranges.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by noobfun
come climb aboard the atheist bus

Thank you very much for that noobfun. It's now one of my favourite sayings!

You are very right though, I get sick and tired of the religious saying that they are being persecuted. That's absolute BS! It's not even fair, because we get criticised for being part of that. It makes me wonder why they think that they are being persecuted, probably because their book tells them that they are. HA!

I tell you what, I've seen enough atheist persecution and they hardly ever even bitch about it.

About the buses though I gotta say I don't think it's the best approach. Why not just try to get it so that ads that act on peoples fear should be illegal?
That seems fair to me.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 11:22 AM
link   
My opinion, for what it's worth:

If "believers" can knock on my door to try and talk me into joining their church, if they can try and stop me in the street to hand out passages from the bible, if they can put unsolicited passages and tracts through my door without permission, and if they can threaten me with eternal damnation for not believing in the same god in the same way that they do, then atheists can put a sign on a bus.

As a person who believes in christian values and abhors organised religion I think it's none of anyone else's damn business what I believe in - and if it's good enough for the organised religion crowd to put across their message, then it's good enough for the atheists to do the same.

For all I care, they can congregate in a big field and beat on each other, as long as they don't keep banging on my door, or stopping me in the street or making judgements they have no business making.

The answer to the forthcoming question is,
YES it has happened today,and yes it has annoyed me

[edit on 22/10/2008 by budski]

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by budski

For those of you who have believed that this thread is about going to hell on a London bus, I can tell you that my bus goes all the way to Camberwell, which is much the same thing.

Surely even the most jaded non-believer can accept that there is, at the heart of the majority of religious "outreaching", an honest intention to give meaning where meaning is lacking, and hope where things seem hopeless? Surely that's not wholly a bad thing?

Giving a message that says - your life is empty and has no meaning, you're just a bunch of molecules - is much more negative a thing to do ?

LW

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 11:53 AM
link   
All these posters and signs and adverts shouting out about 'God loves this', 'God loves that', 'God loves you!'.....

Isn't that a case of false advertising? There is no evidence to suggest God loves anything or even actually exists so the ability to be able to put up posters and the like pointing towards the idea of a non existent deity is right up there in my opinion...

It's about time this view point became a positive step towards enlightenment instead of everyone 'possibly' being led up the garden path to eternal life and salvation by some 'possibly' completely fictitious entity.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Good Wolf

i wish i could take credit for the athesit bus but the other thread creator coined the phrase

^_^

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by noobfun

tartare sause. Ahwell. It's good all the same.

You know I think if they wanted to balance the religious rhetoric in advertising out there they probably should have come up with something a bit clever-[uh]-er.

"God Probably doesn't exist" seems like a waste to me.

....... damn, I can't think up anything cleverer on the fly as an example, but Im sure you get my meaning.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by LoneWeasel

Surely even the most jaded non-believer can accept that there is, at the heart of the majority of religious "outreaching", an honest intention to give meaning where meaning is lacking, and hope where things seem hopeless? Surely that's not wholly a bad thing?

but theres a differance between giving hope "life is good enjoy your self and its gonan get better" and hope that "if you do this this this and this then when you die everything will be hunky dory" ...... one gives hope the other gives service in the hope of hope later

Giving a message that says - your life is empty and has no meaning, you're just a bunch of molecules - is much more negative a thing to do ?

yes without god we are nothing theres no reason for living ........

-_- take a bit of ownership for your own life please, guess what that thing you wanted and worked hard for you got it becasue you did it. that thing that happened that you didnt want happened you wernt punished for no reason it happened

its liberating i dont have to feel guilty for my instinctual nature, i can be nice to people becasue i want to be not becasue im told i have to, i dont have to forgive unless i want to, i dont have to dislike people of different faiths becasue they are unbelievers

i can talk to people and not have trotting around the back of my mind this persons going to hell i should really try and save them ... i dont have an agenda .. well i do but its mine not what god tells me

on top of this im related to every living thing that every lived and is alive today my ancestor/relative type thingys were dinosaurs how dam cool is that ^_^

seriously if you think not beleiveing in god means life has no meaning then you have never lived and probabily never will also means you never truely see your self as a equal to all mankind becasue you cant be equal to those heathens who are gonna burn in hell can you?

seriously still need help understanding there is life after god and its good watch evil dawkins and theres hardly any god bashing from what i remember

uk.youtube.com... watch the other 2 parts while your at it

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Good Wolf

Something like:
If god exists, you won't find out until you die anyway, so why not enjoy yourself while you can, just in case he doesn't.

And then the number of a good cocktail bar, a lap dancing club, or the samaritans.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join