It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Foreclosure deny Cook County Sherriffs -reply

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 04:14 AM
link   
Remember a while back a county sheriff STOOD up -

today he posted me an email.

"Dear Friend,

I would like to thank you for your email concerning the moratorium on evictions I instituted last week in Cook County, IL. The attention our office received helped to spark awareness of a matter affecting families across America. Here in Cook County, we have been overwhelmed by the effects of predatory mortgages and the resulting economic crisis, and already, the number of foreclosures has hit a record high.

As Cook County Sheriff, I am responsible for running a 10,000-inmate jail, providing patrols to unincorporated areas and securing the courts.

But perhaps no part of our job is as difficult as the work done by our eviction units. On any given day, our deputies could be asked to throw a family out of their home, with all of their possessions left on a curb -- sometimes pilfered through by those living nearby.

On October 8th, I imposed a moratorium on evictions until the banks and mortgage firms agreed to document the residents of a building and to give them proper notification in the incident of foreclosure. This was a drastic move, but I deemed this decision necessary after spending the last year, to no avail, working with the banking industry on other issues concerning foreclosures. At the end of the day, banks see a piece of paper, not a person.

Last week, discussions began between Sheriff’s Office officials and members of the Cook County Circuit Court’s Chancery Division to develop a list of safeguards that would provide tenants with proper notification. I applaud the court’s chancery Division Supervisor, the Honorable Dorothy Kirie Kinnaird, for ordering that necessary steps be taken to safeguard renter’s rights. In Cook County, banks are now required to give the proper 120-day notice before an eviction order will be enforced. For more information of the agreement, please see www.cookcountysheriff.org.

Should our deputies again identify patterns of abuse, we will bring it to the attention of the judiciary and I will not hesitate to halt evictions again if necessary. Thank you for your support.

Sincerely,

Thomas J. Dart

Cook County Sheriff

God bless him.

p.s I live in Australia and was so touched by his stance I personaly contacted him to honour his compassion although the foreclosures don't/won't affect us down under. What a man.
peace

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Wow.. an official who listens to his people.. something seemingly RARE nowadays... which is sad to see.

Someone with balls to stand up and make a noise when he thinks he should.

Much respect, love and thanks for this mans actions and thank you for writing a letter of support to him

-GR

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Heres the original thread...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

God Bless Americans

join