It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Max Payne-AD's Review

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 02:03 AM
link   
I have to say this movie is drawing in people everywhere with the hype surrounding it and an awesome trailer.

Every good scene in the movie..is in that 1 minute 30 second trailer. Period.
I was very disappointed.
It was slow, predictable, and there weren't even any really good special effects to make up for the lack of a storyline.
Truly sad that I give this movie two stars, and for two reasons only.
#1. That I will never look at the two sets of black wings that hang on my bedroom wall the same way again.
#2. New York City is beautiful when it snows.
Enough said.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 08:04 AM
link   
My wife and I saw this over the weekend, and we actually liked it quite a bit. I'll agree the story was a bit predictable, but I wasn't expecting to be blown away either. I went in expecting a fun action movie that would get me away for a couple hours, and it that regard it succeeded.

I thought it was a fun movie, but I understand your criticisms.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by nyk537

I'm hard to please. Difficult to entertain.
I went with the expectation of seeing something fabulously supernatural..
and didn't.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Can't argue with you there, from the trailers I was expecting a lot more winged creatures causing havoc than there was. It really was kind of misrepresented from the trailers.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 11:04 AM
link   
I also was sucked in to watching this movie and was disappointed as well. Just another cops vs drug dealer movie.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Thanks AD for the review. I only wish I had read it before I saw the film this afternoon. Lots of gun play and some pretty good splosions and one very pretty woman. Takes more than that to warrant blowing 20 bucks.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 05:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
Thanks AD for the review. I only wish I had read it before I saw the film this afternoon. Lots of gun play and some pretty good splosions and one very pretty woman. Takes more than that to warrant blowing 20 bucks.

20 bucks??? EEEK!
I only go on Tuesdays here. They charge $4.20.
I'm so cheap it's scary.
I even sneak in my own snacks.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by AccessDenied
reply to post by nyk537

I'm hard to please. Difficult to entertain.
I went with the expectation of seeing something fabulously supernatural..
and didn't.

The thing that worries me with this movie is that it seems to have supernatural elements in it.
The game's never had any demons with wings in them, I'm, hoping they are hallucinations from the drug V.

If you ever played the games you would have been hoping the same as me.

The games were "Just cop against a drug dealer" and his minions, with a cool gizmo called Bullet time.
Do they implement the slo-mo shooting well?

(Possible spoiler)
What about the whole "Noir" setting, does that work.
The games were very good with this, it was sad when his family are brutally murdered by the drug addicts and he spiralled into depression, he decided to take vengance against the dealer.

Whats Mona Sax's charater like? I can't remember too much about her back story in the games apart form she was also trying to take down the dealer, and Max falls for her.

The games very very "Story heavy" is this just a big action flick with little story?

[edit on 23-10-2008 by Chukkles]

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Chukkles

You describe the movie perfectly.
I was not familiar with the game, till after.
You might genuinely like it.
Yeah, they do the slo mo bullets quite well.
*Spoiler*
Yeah, the demons are hallucinations from the drug.
Go see it Chukkles, and then tell me if it's all it should be compared to the game.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by AccessDenied

I even sneak in my own snacks.

Good idea! Almost 5 bucks for a small bag of popcorn here in Tamalewood.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

It's about that here too.
But what really ticks me off is they charge $3.75 +tx for a bottle of soda.
I can buy one at the dollar store for a buck..same size..same flavor.

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 04:12 AM
link   
I have no pity for people who watch a movie based off of a video game or book they have never played or read and say they sucked because of.

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 06:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by MegaBears
I have no pity for people who watch a movie based off of a video game or book they have never played or read and say they sucked because of.

Did I ASK for pity?
Did I say it SUCKED?

EXCUUUUSE ME for not wasting my precious time playing a video game.
And I prefer not to see movies after reading the book, as they are rarely accurate after being adapted for the screen.
I was attracted to the misleading trailer of the movie, and I'm not alone.THAT is what I was stating, nothing more.

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 07:48 AM
link   
I haven't seen it. I can't think of a movie that is based off of a video game that has actually been good, so I am always skeptical of this type of movie. The game also was very gimmicky IMHO. It was pretty much an excuse to use bullet time. I was actually pretty surprised they went ahead and made a movie out of it.

Was it done by Uwe Boll? That guy has made a living off of making terrible video game movies.

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 01:27 AM
link   
As a huge fan of the games, to me the movie was one of the better game-to-movie adaptations that has been done.

They've taken the stories from both MP 1 and 2 and blended them in a way that kind of works.

Some of the cooler characters from the 2nd game are missing, but apart from that it does the game's story justice.

Only this I really didn't like is the fact that Mark Failburg was playing Payne. I personally can't stand him.

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 01:37 AM
link   
Marky Mark is pretty hit or miss for me. I really liked him in Fear, The Perfect Storm and Three Kings, but he has done a lot of other stuff that I didn't like him in. Seems to be prone to overacting.

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 02:01 AM
link   
I saw it, it was pretty bad, very disappointing. The whole movie feels like it's trying to cram the story line from a 25-30 hour long game into 100 minutes. It should've just picked one aspect of the story rather than developing Max's back story and current situation at the same time. Or assumed you've played the game since that's it's primary audience and then go from there.

The lack of action hurt it a lot for me seeing as that's the entire premise of the game and character, his revenge. Then when there was action it was way, way too censored, it could have gotten a PG rating IMO.

I give it a 2/5

Don't bother.

top topics

join