It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Was Collin Powell's endorsement of Obama intended to get people to stop talking about Joe the plumb

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 10:03 PM
link   
I don't know if anyone else has seen this but they switched from one topic (joe the plumber) to Collin Powell in a matter of a day after the announcement.

Do you think there is some conspiracy involved within the media?

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 11:21 PM
link   
No, I don't think that the intention was to deflect attention from "Joe the Plumber". In fact, I would think any deflection would be a blessing to the McCain campaign. When the interviews with "Joe" aired the day following the debate, I thought to myself "This is the guy?"--he appeared uninformed and a bit silly. Well hell, I guess that was the intent: find someone who inhabits the stereotype of the common, "small-town America" citizen. Nevermind.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 11:21 PM
link   
I hope you are kidding.
Since when is "Joe the plumber" some issue worthy of a conspiracy? IMO he is just some Republican plant sent to an Obama rally to give the Republicans something to talk about in the last debate and their rallies leading up to the election. That is where the conspiracy is, not Colin Powell's endorsement of Obama.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by BluegrassRevolutionary
I hope you are kidding.
Since when is "Joe the plumber" some issue worthy of a conspiracy? IMO he is just some Republican plant sent to an Obama rally to give the Republicans something to talk about in the last debate and their rallies leading up to the election. That is where the conspiracy is, not Colin Powell's endorsement of Obama.

Who cares if he was a plant or not. What should matter was the answer given by Obama, not the person who asking the question.

By the way, you contradicted yourself by first saying that the issue isn't worthy of a conspiracy, but then stated that he was a plant and thats where the conpsiracy is.

I'm with the concensus, Powells endorsement wasn't staged to deflect attention away from the plumber guy. That is how the media works. I remember when the Rev. Wright was all the rage, then came Ayers, and then came ACORN. I'm sure there will be another flavor of the week in the next few days. I honestly cannot wait til the election is over, all this nit picking is getting tiresome.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by jd140
By the way, you contradicted yourself by first saying that the issue isn't worthy of a conspiracy, but then stated that he was a plant and thats where the conpsiracy is.

Actually, I did not contradict myself. I was stating that the issue of Joe the Plumber was not worthy of a conspiracy. Stating that planting Joe was the conspiracy is an entirely different subject. So like I said, Joe the plumber, or his impact on this election, was not worthy of a conspiracy.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 12:10 AM
link   
this si the problem with ATS. you give people a forum where they talk about conspiracies and those people start looking into everything too much.

i heard that it will be cold tommorow it must be a conspiracy by the coat companies to make me buy more coats.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

If I were Obama, I would be more concerned about getting Joe BIDEN to stop talking. Every time he does, he hurts Obama. Then again, since I don't support Obama, I love to hear Joe Biden be honest about Obama.
After all, he did say during the primaries that Obama is not READY to be president. I think Biden is just speaking the truth, but then again, the old saying holds true "The Truth HURTS".

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by BluegrassRevolutionary

Originally posted by jd140

Actually, I did not contradict myself. I was stating that the issue of Joe the Plumber was not worthy of a conspiracy. Stating that planting Joe was the conspiracy is an entirely different subject. So like I said, Joe the plumber, or his impact on this election, was not worthy of a conspiracy.

Either way I'm tired of hearing about him. I'm more interested in Obamas answer then if this man has paid his taxes or not.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 05:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by N. Tesla
this si the problem with ATS. you give people a forum where they talk about conspiracies and those people start looking into everything too much.

i heard that it will be cold tommorow it must be a conspiracy by the coat companies to make me buy more coats.

Seriously. And it's getting REALLY tiresome and old. As I mentioned in a thread where an interview with Powell and his answer to a question was a "vague warning", all these threads are just like the boy who cried wolf.

All in all, it's just fuel for debunkers and it makes the entire subject laughable and discredits it.

IMO, these kinds of topics go well beyond the scope of conspiracies. I hate to ignore people, but it's about to start getting that way as it seems to be the same few people with the crazy stuff. It's almost as if their entire purpose is to stretch things out to the extreme as a way of disinformation.

This same guy even went so far as to say the loss of page views in the thread list was a conspiracy because he couldn't see how many people viewed his threads.

[edit on 22-10-2008 by badmedia]

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 05:10 AM
link   
The timing is coincidence IMO. A couple of weeks before the election is usually when the candidates will whip out their ‘coup de gras’. Joe the plumber vs. Colin Powell, wonder who won that one?

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by resistor

Maybe the timing is a coincidence but I think that the media intentionally manipulated this entire thing to become a new topic of conversation among the common people. I feel they decided it was time to move on from Joe and this was their excuse to.

[edit on 22-10-2008 by Frankidealist35]

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by BluegrassRevolutionary

Actually, from what i understand of the whole "joe" story is that Obama found him. Obama was going door to door shaking hands and kissing babies.

So unless I heard wrong, that would be quite a crafty plant for the republicans to pull off dontcha think?

Anyway, I haven't heard Colin Powells name even mentioned since Monday. So I would say it didn't work if he was supposed divert attention away from joe.

new topics

top topics

join