It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It is illegal to vote wearing an Obama tshirt

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 08:54 PM
link   

It is illegal to vote wearing an Obama tshirt

www.koat.com

A New Mexico woman was told she couldn't vote because of what she was wearing. KOAT has the story.

"I felt that it was unconstitutional"

The same day one Bernalillo County woman was allowed to vote under the influence of alcohol another woman, who was completely sober, was turned away.

Getting to an early voting site was the easy part, Samantha Rasmussen said, but it was once she got inside that her trouble began.

"I just happened to be wearing my Barack Obama T-shirt. It's pretty simple."
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.cnn.com

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Looks like a sign of thing to come. That's one way to skew the vote.

And, I mean, it's easy too. What are the courts going to do about it? And, a handicapped woman trying to vote for Obama? I mean, they really didn't think she would escalate the situation, now did they??!

Voting day will probably not be a picnic if "they" think you might vote for Obama!

www.cnn.com...#/video/politics/2008/10/21/jones.nm.voter.turned.away.mxf.koat

www.koat.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 09:12 PM
link   
As the clip goes on to explain, New Mexico has a law that does not allow campaigning withing 100 ft of the voting area. Even something as innocent as wearing your candidate's shirt is considered campaigning.

We have the same rules here in Louisiana and voters know not to wear any political anything when going to vote.

Personally I think it's kinda scary that someone who is going to vote doesn't even know the rules for voting in their own state.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Oh so its ok to whine about not being able to wear a tshirt to vote for some idiot, but when your free speech and right to peaceful assembly are violated nobody gives a crap. god stfu.... they should have given her 20 yrs for not knowing what her rights are, freedom of expression isnt a constitutional right.. its an assumed right.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by redhatty
Personally I think it's kinda scary that someone who is going to vote doesn't even know the rules for voting in their own state.

That's what I was thinking. This must be her first time voting while wearing a candidates shirt. It's good to see people so enthusiastic about voting.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 09:16 PM
link   
This is an exaggerated story. The woman was breaking the law. Most states have election laws preventing any kind of campaigning at election sites. Which means no signs,pamphlets etc. That includes political t-shirts. Political fear mongering!

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by MegaCurious

In the words or George Carlin:

"It's all bulls**t folks, and it's bad for ya."

One of my family members was talking about this the other day after returning from poll training for poll workers. She said they told them this new law was passed. I just shake my head and move on because--"it's all bulls**t and it's bad for me."

It is supposed to be unconstitutional, but it's not. Remember--"The Constitution is just a piece of paper".

I for one will not be wearing "party promoting t-shirt", because I will not be voting. Voting is bulls**t, and it's bad for me.

S&F!

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 09:22 PM
link   
These are not new laws. They have been in place for many,many years.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 09:27 PM
link   
I think it will be decided on a case by case basis. It is illegal to campaign at the polls (not saying the shirt should be construed as that) so they may take issue with it. I guess it depends how cranky your polling workers are where you vote. I would think if you living in a small town where they know you would probably give you better options than a large city like where I live.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 09:56 PM
link   
It is illegal to vote wearing an Obama tshirt!

It is illegal to vote wearing an Obama tshirt!!

the sky is falling!

its a conspiracy!

what was not mentioned is that wearing a McCain / Palin sirt is illegal as well... no bias in the media?

yeah, right.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 10:14 PM
link   
I was actually there when this happened. There were signs all over the place that said "no campaigning within 100ft", and i guess wearing a political t-shirt counts as campaigning.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Virginia just recently voted to enforce this stupid law about a month ago, it makes no sense, pins or shirts or anything, our surrounding areas only confine this to the poll officials etc....the American civil liberties union was fighting to get the law shot down because it does violate 1st ammendment but they were unsuccessful.... it was not a problem in the past but for some reason in this election they decide about a month before after all of these years to enact such a law.... here is a good write up on these laws though that I found
Voting Laws

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Well they did warn everyone about it, if you dont stay informed its your own fault.
I dont see why people need to have public displays at the voting booth anyhow.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Memysabu
Well they did warn everyone about it, if you dont stay informed its your own fault.
I dont see why people need to have public displays at the voting booth anyhow.

i agree...i'm voting for obama, but the t-shirt is not right. i wouldn't want to see a mccain-palin t-shirt at the voting booth. have the lady got back and change for god's sake and quit whining. what a bunch of babies people have become

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 06:50 PM
link   
I think that law is so stupid. Those white republicans is just scared to see a black president. They feel that he would have too much power!!!!

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Im in Colorado (Dener) and I saw on the news last night that they were telling people "Do not wear ANY campaign clothing". It didnt matter who it was for, you would NOT be allowed to vote if you were wearing anything with any candidate on it.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by MegaCurious

Looks like a sign of thing to come.

Not allowing campaigning or campaign literature or signs in the polling area has been the rule my whole life. It is not a sign of things to come. It is the way it has always been.

The polling place is supposed to be a place where you can go and vote privately without interference and it has always been considered more than tacky to campaign inside the voting booth so to speak. If they don't enforce that we will have groups following us into he voting booths causing mayhem.

A rational, intelligent, reasonable person would just change shirts. Since this person did not know the rules they probably have never voted before. I think most of this nonsense is just attention seekers acting like the children they really are.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Texas has had a similar law for many years. As another noted by another, there are also signs posted about no signs and campaigning within 100 ft of the polling place. We also do not allow cameras in the poll place.

I don't see it as a problem or some infringement of rights.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 07:43 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Originally these laws were enacted to lessen the chance of political intimidation, which has in the past been a real problem. What if you're a voter for McCain, and you see four or five very large linebacker types, you know, steroid junkies, standing around with a Obama pins on and frowning and acting threatening?

I think the law is fine, and it is one of the few I really agree with. I don't need some rabid McCain supporter that would make SNLs "Church Lady" look like fun, pushing pamphlets on me while I'm standing in line either.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Nice little side distraction, make them look left while you go right...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join