It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

India's Chandrayaan Blasts Off To The Moon!

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 05:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by t0ken

-Advancements can be made by providing education for those millions of poor children who cannot afford to pay school fees or buy pencils, bags and books.Even if $50 Mil spent on 10,000 kids and provided for till their secondary studies is money well spent.

So, to extrapolate along this line of thought, to deal with India's pressing problems, the following need to be done to release funds:
1. Scrap ISRO. --Funds released. Costs of paychecks saved. Lose all capabilities related to telecommunications, weather forecasting, and the like being served by Indian satellites. Start the regression.
2. Scrap all military related expenditure; Disband army/military/navy. --So much more funds released. Now Indians will be sitting ducks for Pakistan/ China.
3. Scrap the IT industry, and other sunrise industries. --More funds released. India slowly reverts towards the dark ages.
4. Scrap all high end institutions and universities. --Why do those guys need to be educated anyway, since all will come to nought with the scrapping of the industries? Funds, after all, are needed to be released.
5. Pour all the funds into the village economy. --That is the way to grow. Bring everyone down to a common denominator.

Happy? Or do you know where to draw the line?

It's extremely unlikely india's space exploration will find anything new or discover advanced aliens on moon.

It is all about developing capabilities. Do get your blinkers off, please! I didn't study physics because I wanted to outdo Einstein!

I think India's 'space exploration' is more of a power play in the region and is tryna tell China 'oooo seeeee i can get to the space toooo'.

Reminds me a lot of the reaction of US following Sputnik, and the rest that followed is history. But of course, different rules apply to the first world countries, is it not, t0ken?

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 05:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by sentinel2107

Happy? Or do you know where to draw the line?

It's not up to me to draw the line.It's up to those who have the control of finances and are willing to spend luxuriously on advancements that can't bring much benefit to their poverty stricken people in short-term.Yes there might be long term benefits but it takes decades in this case not months or years.

Is india willing to carry on with these advancments while it's poverty stricken people continue to degenerate during this long-term process.

Like i said it's not up to me to draw the line.

TextAccording to the new World Bank's estimates on poverty based on 2005 data, India has 456 million people, 41.6% of its population, living below the new international poverty line of $1.25 (PPP) per day. The World Bank further estimates that 33% of the global poor now reside in India. Moreover, India also has 828 million people, or 75.6% of the population living below $2 a day, compared to 72.2% for Sub-Saharan Africa

en.wikipedia.org..." target="_blank" class="postlink">Link

That's a hell alot of poor people compared to China.

TextChina has been the most rapidly growing economy in the world over the past 25 years. This growth has led to an extraordinary increase in real living standards and to an unprecedented decline in poverty. The World Bank estimates that more than 60% of the population was living under its $1 per day (PPP) poverty line at the beginning of economic reform. That poverty headcount ratio had declined to 10% by 2004, indicating that about 500 million people have been lifted out of poverty in a generation.

en.wikipedia.org..." target="_blank" class="postlink">Link

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 05:53 AM
link   
reply to post by t0ken

Like I said before, this was an act of a democratically elected government. Indians on the whole are proud of this achievement, even the very poor members of society.

That should be the end of it.

Thank god India is a sovereign nation and can make logical decisions. Any interference on "humanitarian" grounds would only set it further back.

India will uplift her people in her own unique way. If you are truly interested in how research will do this, read Abdul Kalaam's book "India 2020".

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 05:58 AM
link   

Is india willing to carry on with these advancments while it's poverty stricken people continue to degenerate during this long-term process.

Hello!! They don't "degenerate"!! Since independence, a number of people have been brought above the poverty line. Apart from the government's & NGO's initiatives, the trickle down effect has been in evidence everywhere.

TextAccording to the new World Bank's estimates on poverty based on 2005 data, India has 456 million people, 41.6% of its population, living below the new international poverty line of $1.25 (PPP) per day.

Here's data for you from iwatch (www.wakeupcall.org) -- Number below poverty line = approx. 300 million. This corresponds to about 27% of the population.
And another bit of information -- $1 pr day converted to Indian currency is enough to feed a person with decent two square meals a day. This international poverty line value does not hold water, in a manner of speaking. So that changes the statistics a bit, doesn't it?

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 06:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by 44soulslayer
India will uplift her people in her own unique way. If you are truly interested in
how research will do this, read Abdul Kalaam's book "India 2020".

Hmmm.. will try to get hold of the book. Thanks for recommending 44SS.

MikeS!! When is the next orbital "enlargement" of Chandrayaan due? Any ideas?

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 06:11 AM
link   
wait for it guy's your going to get all the paranoid people posting on here saying that it was material from an unused thunderbird episode....

and that the satalite is really a matchbox car

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 06:54 AM
link   
Can anyone tell me who is financing this operation? the reason I ask is I am curious to know if they find something when mappin the moon such as....I don't know. ....maybe..... buildings,crafts,structures e.t.c will they disclose it or will they have to go through NASA in order for them to bury it deep in their vaults?

Are they going to broadcast any live feeds do you know?

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by t0ken

Blah blah and more blah! I wonder why you're feeling all screwed up in this so called poverty debate? I think there are 'n' number of posters here who have done a commendable job of putting things in their right perspective. But you still remain hung up on this so called poverty issue. But nice to know that you are so very concerned about India's poor!

Before throwing bricks from your glass house, check out the poverty statistics in America especially the poverty rate of children. And they are the future of America:

www.nccbuscc.org...

So, do have a place in your heart for them too instead of feeling bad about India's poor!

After all the trillions of dollars spent on the disasters that are Iraq and Afghanistan could have been better utilized for the upliftment of the poor children of America!!

Cheers!

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 08:26 AM
link   

MikeS!! When is the next orbital "enlargement" of Chandrayaan due? Any ideas?

Yep! As I had mentioned earlier, on 23rd Oct the first orbit-raising manoeuvre of Chandrayaan-1 spacecraft was performed at 09:00 hrs Indian Standard Time (IST) when the spacecraft’s 440 Newton Liquid Engine was fired for about 18 minutes by commanding the spacecraft from Spacecraft Control Centre (SCC) at ISRO Telemetry, Tracking and Command Network (ISTRAC) at Peenya, Bangalore.

With this, Chandrayaan-1’s apogee was raised to 37,900 km, while its perigee has been raised to 305 km.

The next firing is being done today, 24th Oct when the LAM (Lunar Apogee Motor) would be fired to take the spacecraft to an apogee of 73,000 km and a perigee of 300 km. Pretty elliptical, what?

The two huge antennas at the Indian Deep Space Network near Bangalore have commenced receiving signals from it.

Cheers!

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by mikesingh

Any word on the ETA of the first images?

I cant wait to see that impactor with the triranga hit the surface!

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by 44soulslayer

SS, the exact timing of the Mission Impact Probe hasn't been given. I guess it depends upon the progress of the spacecraft once in its 100km orbit round the Moon.

Soon threafter, the Moon Impact Probe will be ejected from Chandrayaan-1 spacecraft at the earliest opportunity to hit the lunar surface in a chosen area. It's only after this that the cameras and other scientific instruments would be turned ON and thoroughly tested.

Cheers!

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by mikesingh
Yep! As I had mentioned earlier, on 23rd Oct the first orbit-raising manoeuvre of Chandrayaan-1 spacecraft was performed at 09:00 hrs Indian Standard Time (IST) when the spacecraft’s 440 Newton Liquid Engine was fired for about 18 minutes by commanding the spacecraft from Spacecraft Control Centre (SCC) at ISRO Telemetry, Tracking and Command Network (ISTRAC) at Peenya, Bangalore.

With this, Chandrayaan-1’s apogee was raised to 37,900 km, while its perigee has been raised to 305 km.

The next firing is being done today, 24th Oct when the LAM (Lunar Apogee Motor) would be fired to take the spacecraft to an apogee of 73,000 km and a perigee of 300 km. Pretty elliptical, what?

Yup! Any more such [hair] raising episodes, and we will have a straight line!

The two huge antennas at the Indian Deep Space Network near Bangalore have commenced receiving signals from it.

Thanks!
Where r u getting all this latest info from MikeS? ISRO does a very poor job of keeping its website up to date. Are u in touch with an insider?

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Yup! Any more such [hair] raising episodes, and we will have a straight line!

ROFL! Gud 1

Thanks!
Where r u getting all this latest info from MikeS? ISRO does a very poor job of keeping its website up to date. Are u in touch with an insider?

Right! ISRO's website sucks!!
They wanna reach the Moon but can't get their website organised!! What the heck???

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 09:11 AM
link   

After all the trillions of dollars spent on the disasters that are Iraq and Afghanistan could have been better utilized for the upliftment of the poor children of America!!
Cheers!

Wonderful Tit for Tat! Guess that should raise their level of understanding of the realities!

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Right! ISRO's website sucks!!
They wanna reach the Moon but can't get their website organised!! What the heck???

Actually it is the prevalent "culture" of government departments and public sectors in India. They would put email addresses and websites on catalogues, advertisements, articles, visiting cards, documents etc., but they hardly ever have the "time" to update the websites, or respond to emails sent to the addresses. They have not yet woken up to the importance and benefits of maintaining or establishing electronic communication links. One of the reasons for this is the still entrenched "culture" (again) of getting things done through personal contacts and face to face meetings. But they are slowly growing out of it (I hope).

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by 44soulslayer
I cant wait to see that impactor with the triranga hit the surface!

I think the tiranga (Indian Flag) will just pop out and lie flat on the surface once the impactor smashes itself to kingdom come. It will not be "hoisted," as I believe I noticed someone alluding to in this thread

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 11:23 AM
link   
To Sentinel and Mike,

I in no way was trying to sound arrogant, it hard for me to put thoughts down into words. I hope you accept my apology. As Mike iterated, India will learn a lot from this expedition, and will be quite ahead regarding moon knowledge. In the previous page, the head NASA administrator Griffin signed a bipartisan deal with Indias administrator.

Im not the expert like mike, but what are the implications of this.

Does this mean the US and India will collaborate with their knowledge?

Will India share new secrets or data they find in the upcoming days?

[edit on 24-10-2008 by bubbapug1985]

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Mike,

Ive also been reading that the Indians are going to shoot a capsule to the lunar surface to plant a flag?

From another one of your threads you started, about the lunar surfaces gravity.

Do you think the Indians took into account the "actual lunar gravity".

Bubbapug1985

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Signs of gloom and doom already? i don't know whether to believe this following post or not!

chandrayan by kitty on 2008-10-24 11:45:11.165599+05:30
Chandrayan payload is not workingx-Band signal is very very poor in one polarisationpayload is not switching on, no signal from payloaddecided to go ahead with orbit elongationISRO

Source link...

Hope this is either a hoax, or a temporary problem, and not a mission critical one!

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by bubbapug1985
To Sentinel and Mike,

I in no way was trying to sound arrogant, it hard for me to put thoughts down into words. I hope you accept my apology.

Hey, take it cool! Apologies accepted.
Even though it was hard for you to put thoughts down into words, you put it down real hard!

Meanwhile, I am keeping my fingers crossed (reference my previous post)

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join