It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

India's Chandrayaan Blasts Off To The Moon!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by CreeWolf
...Maybe we can finally get a clear picture of those lunar artifacts (spires, glass domes, structures, and other anomalies) previously discussed on ATS!

This we hoped for with China's Chang-e 1...

This we hoped for with Japan's Selene/Kayuga

Now it is India's turn...

You say they are NOT NASA?
Maybe the early launch date was postponed so that they could finish this agreement in Feb 2008?

NASA And India Sign Agreement For Future Cooperation

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, Fla. - At a ceremony Friday at the Kennedy Space Center's visitor complex, NASA Administrator Michael Griffin and Indian Space Research Organization Chairman G. Madhavan Nair signed a framework agreement establishing the terms for future cooperation between the two agencies in the exploration and use of outer space for peaceful purposes.

"I am honored to sign this agreement with the India Space Research Organization," Griffin said. "This agreement will allow us to cooperate effectively on a wide range of programs of mutual interest. India has extensive space-related experience, capabilities and infrastructure, and will continue to be a welcome partner in NASA's future space exploration activities."

www.nasa.gov...

NASA - Japan Agreement

MEMORANDUM OF UNDERSTANDING BETWEEN THE NATIONAL AERONAUTICS AND SPACE ADMINISTRATION OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA AND THE GOVERNMENT OF JAPAN

www.nasa.gov...

NASA AND JAPAN AGREE ON NEW AREAS OF SPACE COOPERATION

Document

NASA-CANADA agreement

MEMORANDUM OF UNDERSTANDING BETWEEN THE NATIONAL AERONAUTICS AND SPACE ADMINISTRATION OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA AND THE CANADIAN SPACE AGENCY

Document

NASA-ESA Agreement

ESA and NASA extend ties with major new cross-support agreement

ESA Archived Page

NASA - CHINA agreement

NASA Administrator Departs China After 'Rewarding' First Visit

Collected Sources

NASA Administrator Griffin presents a picture to President and CEO, China Academy of Space Technology, Dr. Yuan Jiajun.

So I will be watching this mission as avidly as we tracked China's and Japan's... but I am not holding my breath..

But I will take your thread as the 'watch thread... as there are already several others... but one is enough for updates

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
One US government official was heard muttering to himself as the satellite exploded saying: "Woops! I guess they won't be able to get those high res shots of our lunar expiditions after all............."

Hmmm I thought that was the Chinese probe they got... Its not been heard from since...

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 07:25 PM
link   
I don't believe this...

I just went through four pages thinking I was in a Moon Mission thread and all I politics and a touch of racism...

What the heck?

Lets get back to NASA bashing
Seeing as they signed that deal with India in Feb 2008

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by pedetemptim
Hopefully this means they stop concentrating on the cricket....

Can't take a few knocks lying down, eh!

[edit on 23/10/2008 by sentinel2107]

[edit on 23/10/2008 by sentinel2107]

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon
Lets get back to NASA bashing
Seeing as they signed that deal with India in Feb 2008

Lol! That was insensitive!!

US Gets Fear of Chandrayaan, A challenge to US: Obama

As the White House hailed India’s maiden moon mission as “encouraging” and “exciting”, Democratic presidential hopeful, Barack Obama saw it as a reminder to revitalise the US space programme and not let other countries surpass it.

Obama viewed Wednesday’s historic launch of India’s moon mission Chandrayaan I from Sriharikota, Andhra Pradesh as a challenge. “With India’s launch of its first unmanned lunar spacecraft following closely on the heels of China’s first spacewalk, we are reminded just how urgently the United States must revitalise its space programme if we are to remain the undisputed leader in space, science, and technology,” he said.

So, even the president elect of the U.S of A is getting the willies, what? Wake up America, before it's too late!!

Cheers!

yardloo.com...

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 12:04 AM
link   
reply to post by mikesingh

Mike, great thread.

The chinese have a man orbit the Earth.
The Indians are sending and unmanned craft to the moon.

Whats the big deal?

The US did all of this over 40 years ago, they are still way behind.

The next major step is landing a man on Mars.

The US will be first to do this, even though the shadow "withholding intergalactic technology" government has been beyond our solar system without our knowledge.

What will they learn differently from going to the moon that the US didnt? Moon Bases? John "Soul Collector Towers Lear". That is all old news.

They should just plagarize what the US has done, and set there standards for Mars or another planetary body. Why waste time with the moon - alien base.

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 12:07 AM
link   
The United States will always be the undisputed space leader.

One random unmanned satellite or useless orbit (not to sound angry), doesnt change a thing.

The US could have shot down Chandrayaana if they wanted.

US, the undisputed leaders in sciene space and technology. At least 30 years ahead of the game.

If the space race was a mile run, we are about to run through the finish line ribbon, while India and China are no more than 400 meters off the start.

Peace

[edit on 24-10-2008 by bubbapug1985]

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Wow, why is everyone interested in the Moon and Mars.

In India, as sure all of you know, are a lot of starving and impoverished children.

Who gives a flying **** if they go to the moon or mars. That doesnt solve anything but a big stick award.

Focus on the people and make Earth the way it should be, having people live in non suffering states.

I personally do not give a hoot about the moon and mars. They are of now importance.

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 12:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by bubbapug1985

US, the undisputed leaders in sciene space and technology. At least 30 years ahead of the game.

If the space race was a mile run, we are about to run through the finish line ribbon, while India and China are no more than 400 meters off the start.

Peace

Funny how you sign that all off with 'Peace".
You are lucky to be born/brought up (i am guessing) in a premier developed country like USA. But that sort of arrogance is uncalled for.

If you had kids, would you tell all the younger ones to quit planning proactively for future professional growth because the eldest grown up kid has been there, done that.

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 02:00 AM
link   

Whats the big deal? The US did all of this over 40 years ago, they are still way behind.

So what has NASA to show for it except for screwed up pics with resolutions that suck!! (At least the ones they've shown to the public!) and a few kilos of Moon rock?

What will they learn differently from going to the moon that the US didnt?
Why waste time with the moon.

The US/NASA/Naval int still don't know everything about the Moon yet. Heck, we've been on Earth for 20000 years and still know zilch about it! We know probably just about 1% of what the Moon is all about.

Now let's see what India's Chandrayaan is going to do that have NOT been done by any country so far:

3D terrain mapping that will map the ENTIRE topography of the moon, which helps in better understanding of the lunar evolution process.

Mapping of the minerals on the lunar surface as well as for understanding the mineralogical composition of the Moon’s interior by the Hyperspectral Imager (HySI).

Obtaining data for accurately determining the height of lunar surface features with the help of the Lunar Laser Ranging Instrument (LLRI).

Exploring the possibility of identifying Polar Regions covered by thick water-ice deposits as well as in identifying regions of high Uranium and Thorium concentrations with the High Energy X-ray Spectrometer (HEX).

High quality mapping of the moon using X-ray fluorescence technique for finding the presence of Magnesium, Aluminum, Silicon, Iron and Titanium distributed over the surface of the Moon with the Imaging X ray Spectrometer (C1XS).

Study of the lunar surface to explore the mineral resources and the formation of its surface features with the Smart Near Infrared Spectrometer (SIR-2).

Study the surface composition of the moon and the magnetic anomalies associated with the surface of the moon using the Sub kiloelectronvolt Atom Reflecting Analyser (SAR).

Characterization of the radiation environment in a region of space surrounding the moon by the Radiation Dose Monitor (RADOM).

Mini Synthetic Aperture Radar (MiniSAR) for detecting water ice in the permanently shadowed regions of the lunar poles up to a depth of a few meters.

To assess and map lunar mineral resources at high spatial and spectral resolution with the help of an imaging spectrometer called the Moon Mineralogy Mapper (M3).

And don’t forget the presence of Helium 3 / 4 that the Moon Impact Probe will evaluate, which is an important facet of the mission.

So, do you now see what no other nation, including the U.S, has done in any detail so far? Chandrayaan will!

Cheers!

[edit on 24-10-2008 by mikesingh]

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 02:31 AM
link   
Great Stuff, Mike! Very informative and an appropriate technical repartee!

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 04:07 AM
link   
reply to post by patsy22

To be honest Patsy it makes no sense to me either - gave you a star for your thoughtful post

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 04:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by baughany
reply to post by 44soulslayer

Feed your people first.

Then go to the moon.

With utmost respect.

Educate yourself on the ground reality of 'feeding' India and the likes...
then come here and make suggestions based on your personal findings..

With utmost respect of course..

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 04:17 AM
link   

lol... responding to a commercial threat of competition with military violence. Can't get much more American than that.

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 04:23 AM
link   
As far as I'm concerned history will judge which asian countries: China, Japan, and India is truly ready for space exploration. I know at least one country which is not supposed to be in the space race because the persistent poverty problem that particular country has. Let's just say the reason that they're in the space race is because they're part of the containment policy.

Trying to fly when you're barely walking is simply too ambitious.

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 04:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by patsy22
We must as human beings,,,, get our priorites right,,, and while there are Indian children dying right now because they lack what we take for granted as normal.........
It is hard to applaude India right now.

Good point!

-Advancements can be made by providing education for those millions of poor children who cannot afford to pay school fees or buy pencils, bags and books.Even if $50 Mil spent on 10,000 kids and provided for till their secondary studies is money well spent.

It's extremely unlikely india's space exploration will find anything new or discover advanced aliens on moon.

I think India's 'space exploration' is more of a power play in the region and is tryna tell China 'oooo seeeee i can get to the space toooo'.

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 04:35 AM
link   
reply to post by t0ken

Im sick and tired of reiterating this point, but for your sake I'll try one last time.

Cost of Chandrayaan : $50 million

Commercial satellite market : $2.5 - 3.0 billion

India is targeting 1/3rd of the market, and this mission was seen as a test for the PSLV platform.

Spending 50 million to make 1 billion, which can then be used to better the population is cold hard business and makes a hell of a lot more sense than spending 50 million on a population of 900 million.

Thats it. Thats the last time Im gonna say it. If you still can't understand why this mission made commercial sense then kindly refrain from criticizing things which you cannot understand on a logical level.

And to whoever came up with the soundbite "Trying to fly before you can walk"... glib catchphrase but thats how India functions. India had a space research organisation merely a decade after independence. If you'll excuse the pop culture reference, thats how we roll .

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 04:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by 44soulslayer
reply to post by t0ken

Spending 50 million to make 1 billion, which can then be used to better the population is cold hard business and makes a hell of a lot more sense than spending 50 million on a population of 900 million.

Well we will see how many $Bills india has made outa this $50 mil space exploration.I think India's priority will be to invest back into new space projects if they do make anything out of this mission.It's kinda highly unlikely the poor kid begging on the street will get much out of it.

I guess only time will tell.

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 04:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by 44soulslayer
but thats how India functions.

Function??? Yeah kinda like how Homer Simpson function.

Well, if you're happy with it, good luck with your endeavor.

Oh yeah and one more thing, speak for your own people, don't bring the entire eastern hemisphere as if they agree with the way you people think.

The real reason is because our mentality is rooted in the Eastern traditions (as with Russia, China, Japan).

We dont see suffering as something that especially needs to be tackled at the expense of progress.

Feeding the hungry is a priority of course, but progress comes first.

What kind of progress you're talking about it here, your ego?

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 05:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Jazzyguy

1. Every developing Asian nation has put progress before eliminating poverty, because progress IS the road to eliminating poverty. Russia, China, India all started space programs when the majority of their people were in poverty, and yet they are developing steadily and surely. When I spoke of the Eastern mindset, it is found in these three Asian giants. Any minor Asian country such as Burma or whatever can follow their own agenda, but the "East" is synonymous with Russia, India, China, S Korea and Japan.

2. The progress of science and the nation. The country comes before the individual needs of any person. This was partly an ego exercise, as all space exploration is. But it will achieve significant long term gains for India.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join