It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

India's Chandrayaan Blasts Off To The Moon!

page: 35
<< 32  33  34    36  37  38 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by sentinel2107
I hope you won't might if I later happen to take a leaf out of your book (aka copy-paste
) for responding to Zor when he e-beats me black and blue for any possible fallacious post from my side.
He is a strict master (check out the sword in his avataar -- sharp eh!
), and extrapolating from what MikeS had said a lot many posts back, the star trek Borgs were modeled after him.

I have no problem with that hahaha...

yes he is a master! Luckily i KINDA know him. I was wrong and i admit it - i won't fight something if i realize my mistake - i will just look more the fool

I have a lot of respect for Z...

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP
Here are some measurements made with Isis 3.

Comparing the 10.7 km from the Clementine image with the 455 pixels from the Chandrayaan-1 image, it gives a resolution of 23 metres per pixel, so this photo is not yet full resolution, it was probably taken from a higher orbit than the ones that will be used to make the scientific work.

As for the direction of the light, I think it's almost the same, but a little higher than the one on the Clementine image, it shows slightly smaller shadows.

Thanks ArMaP
That's what I suspected. Comparing to the earth's image (taken from 70,000 km orbit) this moon's image is of very low resolution. 23m or more than that.

By the way, ISRO updated it's page with the corrected image (the earth image corrected by Emily Lakhdawala). They are accepting and learning from errors

But, why they entered into a silent mode? No more MIP images or the so called MIP's descent video, no more TMC images and downgraded TMC 'video' and images. Why ISRO?

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Meanwhile, here's another article from The Hindu:
Chandrayaan-1: imaging moon in 64 colours

The Chandrayaan's HySI schematics image from the above article:

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 01:37 AM
link   
reply to post by mikesingh

I don't like hijacking this thread but I'll give one more response.

Most of these inconsistencies are resolved by modeling which indicates that about 80% of the matter that made the moon came from the mantle of the impactor.

Originally posted by mikesingh
•Ratios of the Moon's volatile elements are not consistent with the giant impact hypothesis.

This may be true if one assumes that the moon coalesced entirely from material from Earth or that the material contributed by the impactor had a similar composition to that of Earth. However, if the impactor originated in the inner solar system (as it is thought to have) it would have been deficient in volatiles (chemicals that "boil off" easily) due to solar activity. The material contributed by this "dry" body accounts for the apparent inconsistency.

•There is no evidence that the Earth ever had a magma ocean (an implied result of the giant impact hypothesis), and it is likely there exists material which has never been processed by a magma ocean.

Au Contraire. The work of Stephane Labrosse indicates that the Earth's mantle could have formed out of just such a magma ocean.

•Iron oxide (FeO) content of 13% of the bulk Moon properties rule out the derivation of the proto-lunar material from any but a small fraction of Earth's mantle.

If the bulk of the material was contributed by the iron poor mantle of the impactor there is no problem.

•If the bulk of the proto-lunar material had come from the impactor, the Moon should be enriched in siderophilic elements, when it is actually deficient of those.

OK, this one is mostly over my head, involving isotopic ratios, but what I gather is this. Because the Moon is deficient in iron, it should be enriched in elements that have an affinity for iron. This too is accounted for by the impactor contribution most of the material of the moon.

I found this article the most current and understandable.
marine.rutgers.edu...

[edit on 20-11-2008 by Phage]

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 03:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Ah thanks for your counter arguments! But I think it's better to discuss this in another thread that I'm seriously considering of opening!

Till then, I'm heading for the bar!

Cheers!

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by mikesingh

Wait a minute, Mike!!!

Is THIS your response?

IF you are faced with a valid argument from a person such as 'Phage' you just run away to the bar???

Mike....You have great resources, and an incredible intellect. I didn't expect this reaction, from you....

edit for spelling....

[edit on 11/20/0808 by weedwhacker]

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker
Wait a minute, Mike!!!

Is THIS your response?

IF you are faced with a valid argument from a person such as 'Phage' you just run away to the bar???

Theories about the moon's origin is a potent cocktail -- no wonder MikeS was reminded of the bar, and made a beeline for it.
May his inebriation blossom into a new theory of the origins of our sister planet, and he grace our understandings with some of his tipsy extempore!

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by CosmicScorpion
But, why they entered into a silent mode? No more MIP images or the so called MIP's descent video, no more TMC images and downgraded TMC 'video' and images. Why ISRO?

You are right. The silence is becoming a little drawn. Surely they must have gotten a lot of data till now!

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by sentinel2107

So poetic!!

If only I could capsulate that notion, and put into my tea!!!

(is 'capsulate' a word? Well, it is now!)

(Nah!...not 'poetic' at all, my reponse)

OK, just tryin' to be funny...

Subject now....India might actually beat NASA back to the Moon!!

(more comedy....at least our 'Tech Support' phone calls will have a 2.5-second delay.....)

What??? Too soon?????

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Subject now....India might actually beat NASA back to the Moon!!

Ain't gonna happen, for NASA is a giant in slumber, and in possession of tremendous "lunar knowledge" raw material.

Of course, the other side of the coin is (with the success of Chandrayaan's mission more or less assured) that India ain't gonna be a push-over either, if it chugs along its lunar plans with the follow-up missions.

The competition for real/surreal estate grab in space, the "final frontier" -- is that what lies ahead of us this century?

[edit on 20/11/2008 by sentinel2107]

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Hmmm....a 'Giant in Slumber', you say???

Well, NASA isn't quite that, I think.

OK....disputes aside....I see NASA as an Agency in dire need of funding....my opinion.

Seems, lately....the Chinese might actually beat NASA (back to) and the Indians to the Moon!!

How's THAT for some International intrique????

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 12:52 PM
link   

You are right. The silence is becoming a little drawn. Surely they must have gotten a lot of data till now!

Thats one reason I have been 'silent' on these images
Waiting to see...

China and Japan started with a bang and are down to a whimper... with China not even a peep.

Perhaps they all hope that after the initial lauch theatrics, people will loose interest and move along...

Hmmm Guess what? seems to work... no one is questioning China's and Japan's mission anymore... How about that?

I was hoping for better... but I am patient.. I will wait...

Now anyone know where I can get telemetry data to see where Chang-E1 and Selene are today? Surely someone must be able to get the signal if they are still up there?

[edit on 20-11-2008 by zorgon]

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikesingh
Ah thanks for your counter arguments! But I think it's better to discuss this in another thread that I'm seriously considering of opening!

Great idea
We need some new material to rehash.

Lemme know when its up

Now I here that bottle of Whaler's Dark beaconing me

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

Perhaps they all hope that after the initial lauch theatrics, people will loose interest and move along...

Hmmm Guess what? seems to work... no one is questioning China's and Japan's mission anymore... How about that?

Well, that sure doesn't work with me!

And this silence and lack of published data and images only confirms what I have believed for a long time now. I am still convinced that there are SOMETHING up on the moon that "they" do not want us to know about.

I will not change my mind about this until these space agencies start coughing up all the images and data they really have.

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Hmmm....a 'Giant in Slumber', you say???

Well, NASA isn't quite that, I think.

OK....disputes aside....I see NASA as an Agency in dire need of funding....my opinion.

Simple! They outsource to India. Space is now all set to be the second quality outsourced industry to India.

Seems, lately....the Chinese might actually beat NASA (back to) and the Indians to the Moon!!

How's THAT for some International intrique????

Dunno 'bout the Chinese, what with all the fakity-fakity things they do -- (a) taikonauts' conversations breaking the light speed barrier to go back in time to be released/broadcast prior to the actual event of earth orbit-inerary. (b) video of the space-walk with bubbles that scream inner space rather than outer space.
That's some real international intrigue, to be sure!!

[edit on 20/11/2008 by sentinel2107]

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by ziggystar60

I will not change my mind about this until these space agencies start coughing up all the images and data they really have.

What criteria will ensure (to your standards) that this has been done? Assuming of course that it has not been already done, but will be at some point.

edit: I don't know if I could have made that any less clear. What I mean is, how can you know if everything is released?

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 01:28 PM
link   

sentinal....huh??

"orbit-inerary" ????

I'm not 'standing up' for the Indians, nor the Chinese, when it comes to Space Exploration (I'd prefer it to be 'Humans' in space, but that's likely a pipe-dream, at the moment...)

I would just wish to clear up a few scientific aspects of radio signals, and what-not...

First of all, we know the Speed of Light.

We should, intelligent people that we are, also realize the vagaries of satellites, in orbit.

There are SOME satellites that are in a low orbit....think of the ISS, then think of other, secret satellites.....

THEN, we have the 'communication' satellites....AKA your DISH Network, for instance. THESE must be in what is called 'geo-synchronous' orbits....so they seem to remain 'fixed' in the sky....

Ever wonder why your Dish antenna has to be pointed South??? Because, these satellites MUST orbit the Earth, around the Equator, at a distance of about 25,000 miles....this is a geo-synchronous orbit, so they appear, to us on the surface, 'stable' in the sky.

(IF you live in Australia, then, of course, your antennae point 'north'
....)

The speed of light is 186,000 miles per second, or about 300,000 kiilometres per second....so now you can begin to understand why there is an apparent 'time delay', sometimes, during satellite feeds from around the world.

This same concept applies to past images from the Moon, during the USA's Apollo missions.

Because of the distance to the Moon, at light speed, there is nearly a 2.4 second round-trip delay, for commuications.

Everyone should keep this in mind as we continue to view past NASA footage, as well as current footage.

Especially interesting was the ISS EVA footage of yesterday.....showing TRUE 'zero-G' behaviors of various objects, and culminating in one EVA Astronaut's loss of a 'tool-bag'... which, in my opinon, should have had an anchor line to prevent the loss in the fist place.

But, Human-error is Human-error....

Can't cry over spilled milk, right????

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

What criteria will ensure (to your standards) that this has been done? Assuming of course that it has not been already done, but will be at some point.

edit: I don't know if I could have made that any less clear. What I mean is, how can you know if everything is released?

Hi, Phage, I got you the first time. I think...

Well, look at the pitiful few inages from JAXA. They should have had time enough to publish perhaps a few more images by now, don't you think? And what's up with that strange steel grey color of the moon in their stuff?
Now ISRO has gone silent also... And NASA... It is no secret what I think about them and their "HI RES" images. I have seen photos taken by amateur astronomers here on Earth that show more detail than many of NASA's images.
If you are interested, I can send you a couple of great links. I can tell you that the Lunar South Pole is a very interesting place, with many strange features.

[edit on 20/11/08 by ziggystar60]

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by ziggystar60

No doubt all of us (at ATS) are wanting more. No doubt there are a lot of people with an interest in astronomy and other "stuff" are wanting more. But there isn't much demand from the great majority of the public for more images of craters (seen one, seen them all), which to most people is all there is to see in the images.

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

You may be right, Phage, that there isn't much demand for these kind of images. And as much as I want to see what they've got, I doubt they care much what some lunatic like me at ATS thinks or wants...

But I can still hope, can't I? I still hope for more images, better images. And if the truth is that "they" are not hiding anything at all, and I one day can feel quite certain about that, well, that would be just fine with me. I won't have a big problem adimitting that I have been totally wrong about this. Any member at ATS can feel free to mock me all they want to if that happens.

I just want the truth, that's all.

top topics

<< 32  33  34    36  37  38 >>

join