It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

India's Chandrayaan Blasts Off To The Moon!

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by defcon5 Same thing happened when someone else sent the other probe up there, the Japanese or Chinese

Ummm the Chinese sent 3-4 pictures, published only ONE which was no better than Clementine and was shrouded in controversy because they had made an error in overlaps creating a 'new' crater.. There has been no word since from this craft. I would like to see proof that it is even up there.

The Japanese released a few poor quality images and one compressed video and then went silent..

You were saying?

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Not so poor.

www.selene.jaxa.jp...

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

Originally posted by patsy22
Firstly, I am " She..... and secondly ho wdo you know what I now of India???

We don't because so far you have not backed it up with ANY facts or links.

Do you really want me to start posting links to how much poverty there is in India?? I am sure you're not misinformed but if you wana keep pretending and be nice to your indian friends than that's a different issue.

TextYou simply assume that we do not care or are unaware of the world problems... but attacking the space program of any country is not going to help. The money spent is a drop in the bucket compared to military spending and other government waste.

Other governments are pretty much loaded compare to india.Didn't you see how many hundreds of billions these governments pumped into their economy recently??These are Big governments with Big Money.Like i said before they cannot be compared with india.I don't think the word 'compare' should be used when analysing financial status of West and India

The day before 9/11 (banner will appear
) Rumsfeld announce we were missing 3.5 TRILLION and that 25% of DoD spending is 'unaccounted for. The next day Bush was asking for MORE billions for the war...

The US provides for its people so spending crazy amounts like that don't make a difference.

Now then what have YOU done to help starving people in your OWN country? Ever worked for charity? I have... our group has also raised MILLIONS for mentally challenged kids right here in my home town of Las Vegas

I have taken the responsibility to provide food and shelter for 50 families and pay for their kids education till their kids finish their education and start poviding for their own families.I am probably not making a BIG difference but Hey atleast i am trying to the extent till my pocket allows me to and i will see the fruit of my investment once those kids finish their school.

[edit on 26-10-2008 by t0ken]

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by t0ken
Do you really want me to start posting links to how much poverty there is in India?? I am sure you're not misinformed but if you wana keep pretending and be nice to your indian friends than that's a different issue.

You are answering a comment for patsy? Or do you have more than one account?

What I want is you guys to take this to another thread where we can discuss those issues, Here at ATS we work hard to keep threads focused on one topic.

Having said that this will be my last post addressing this here. And just an FYI Mike is from India... in case you hadn't got that yet

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
Not so poor.

You really think that moon surface is real? Hmmmm I saw better detail on them old 1965 photos

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Firstly, I am " She..... and secondly ho wdo you know what I now of India???

And if India wants to boast of things it is proud of....... theni ts must accept critcism of what it shoud be ashamed off.

Well, I couldnt care less if you were a He or a She or a it.

I do however care that you recklessly paint a picture about an entire people that is patently false and in fact factually absurd. If you did know anything about India I am sure your posts would be more logical and rational than putting 900 million people as "poor".

If you go further up the thread you will see why I am using that figure - as it was quoted.

Which yet again goes to show that you have little understanding of India and use statistics that are absolutely absurd.
Anybody who is even slightly informed would know that a nation with a GDP of over 4 trillion dollars can not have 90% of its population living in poverty.
Thats pure common sense, you dont need to have a lifetime's worth of first hand experience to understand that.

Are we talking about the same India here??? Naive impression and false... not the regions i visited....oh of course unless we are talking about the higher classes???

Again, another patently false generalization. Higher classes ?? Do you realize that some of the biggest business leaders and political heads of India are from the lower classes ?

I dont know which pity trip you got sent on but I've worked in India for over a year in cities like Bangalore, New Delhi and Hyderabad. I have been to many Indian homes and I never saw any "open drain through their lounge" or "dirty water" through their taps. Most of the cities I've visited and also much of rural India is not in any way or fashion "poverty stricken" as you paint it to be. Most are quite well off and lead happy lives. Yes, there are still a few people in poverty but they are a small minority. Not the 900 million figure you reckless put forth.

My friend India has a long way to go to get on a par with even the worst living conditions in the US and UK. I would gladly ask you to take me to any part of the UK that holds its citzens in abject poverty.

Again a delusion that is absolutely false. In the cities like Bangalore, New Delhi etc there are parts that have better and costlier homes than most people have in cities like London, New York or Tokyo. Do you know how much office space costs in Mumbai ?

As for taking you to a place where there is poverty in the UK. I suggest you go to Birmingham, Liverpool etc where people live in old dilapidated buildings with medieval cobbled streets and the stench or urine and garbage in the air. Compared to cities in the US, it might as well be India.

Clean water. Toilets with proper drainage. We had reformers who fought for this basic human right...... long before missions into space.

What gives you the delusion that most of India doesnt already have this ? Can you imagine a population thriving without these basic amenities ? It would lead to massive epidemics. That is not the case in India. Without proper water or toilet facilities how do you think million of Indian workers go to work or live for that matter? How do you think so many companies work out of India without access to clean water ?
Your assertions are ridiculous and patently false.
As for your reformers fighting for clean water and proper drainage. I am sure that London's recycling of sewage and urine into tap water is not any body's idea of "clean" water in India.

Progress,,,, spend billions....but dont pretend this is for the people or the poor.........

Again irrationality and pompous preaching at its best.

Without the space program, we would not even have Velcrow. India's space program has brought, telephones, education and health care to remote Indian villages that previously did not have these facilities through tele-medicine and over the internet education. India's space programmed has also helped them use their natural resources more fully, help the fisheries industry, help farmers with accurate weather reporting, etc. All this has helped the poor advance and progress.

Your misguided sanctimonious preaching about some defending the poor is ludicrous when they have been the biggest beneficiaries of scientific progress, not only in India but across the world. There is no pretense involved here, just plain facts that you are shockingly ignorant of.

I want to leave this thread alone..... but while ever I keep reading inhuman and immoral posts........ from people who think I never been to India....never seen the slums and the poverty... then I cant.

Dont try to kid people it doesnt exist...... I think we all know the truth... dont you.

Thank you for yet again condescending and preaching to the Indians what they should do and how they should live. Apparently your society is the paragon of perfection that they should all emulate. However, me thinks, they are doing quite well without you or your people there.
I find that it is more immoral and inhuman to denigrate and condescend to a people about how they should live like you are doing than defend scientific progress that would help better the lives of millions of Indians in years to come.

[edit on 26-10-2008 by IAF101]

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Not great, no. But I wouldn't call them poor. There are some really nice HD images. Too few though.

[edit on 26-10-2008 by Phage]

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 04:10 PM
link   

So standing up for poor is ignorant now???? That's a new one but not surprising coming from you!

Yeah, it is, especially coming from the colonizers who raped their wealth in the first place. They didnt ask you to stand up for them did they? Last I head they chased you people out of their country much like all of your colonies didnt they. And as for poverty, you would do well to deal with poverty in your own small island. Also dont pretend there are no poor people in the UK, I know better. Compared to the US, Britain is like a ghetto. Especially places like Manchester, Liverpool, Birmingham and even parts of London.

Americas poverty compared to indias poverty is a luxury.In US one has more opportunities to get out of poverty unlike india where one needs Big money to take any step towards better life.There's no welfare system in India,it's all about beg or die hungry like a dog.

Again, a statement from somebody who doesnt know the first thing about India or America. Who says in India one needs "Big Money" to take any step forwards ? Even the prime minister of India, a graduate of Cambridge is from a background you would classify as "poor". He runs the country of 1 billion people. If there are so many opportunities in the US, how come more than a million Americans have lost their job this year ?
A welfare system is a failed system as demonstrated in America, Europe and everywhere it has been implemented. Moreover a welfare system for 1billion people is ridiculous and absurd. The level of expenditure and resources required for that is not even possible if the Entire EU and America were to fund and manage it themselves. Also, there is a welfare system in place in India, thought not in the sense of handing out doles to every bum on the street.
The Indian government has free medical hospitals through out the nation, more hospitals in fact than there are in all of UK. They also have a work program that hires people for manual labor and place anywhere between 100-300 million to work.

So essentially all you have said is false and is a warped perspective of some neo-colonialist condescending on a way of life he knows little about.

UK is poor??
I live in UK and seeing a beggar is kinda rare.The beggars i see also seem to enjoy what they do by playing their little guitars with their little dogs next to them.I think they take it as a profession.

Believe it or not yes it does look that way for us Americans when we have to stop over in London. Dingy streets, cobbled roads, old dilapidated buildings and the filthy environs do seem to add to a sense of destitution in London. Especially for those of us living in big cities like New York in America.
Now it may not be on the same level as India but compared to the US, the UK is definitely poor and looks it as well.
I'd suggest snapping out of your delusion of grandeur and clean your own house out first.

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by IAF101

That's the funniest thing I've read in ages IAF, you make out like the Brits are living in Dickens'books lol! Please Britain isn't perfect but it isn't that bad either. "Dingy streets" "cobbles" "ghettos" lol...................... you made me grin there!

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
Not great, no. But I wouldn't call them poor. There are some really nice HD images. Too few though.

I want to get with you on an issue I have with shadows on JAXA... but need to pull the data. Seems I filed it wrong... or only did the work in a thread somewhere

[edit on 26-10-2008 by zorgon]

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by ufoorbhunter

Its true, walking around London gives you that archaic feeling.
Here is proof however: www.jpgmag.com...

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by ufoorbhunter

Well it's all about perspectives isn't it lol I laughed too - the statement was really very funny. I think the UK and Europe are beautiful - Those cobblestone roads take you back to a bygone era - and I think that is what makes the English and Europeans so amazing and diverse in character. Who wants to live in a sterile environment anyway

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by IAF101

So standing up for poor is ignorant now???? That's a new one but not surprising coming from you!

Yeah, it is, especially coming from the colonizers who raped their wealth in the first place. They didnt ask you to stand up for them did they? Last I head they chased you people out of their country much like all of your colonies didnt they. And as for poverty, you would do well to deal with poverty in your own small island. Also dont pretend there are no poor people in the UK, I know better. Compared to the US, Britain is like a ghetto. Especially places like Manchester, Liverpool, Birmingham and even parts of London.

Americas poverty compared to indias poverty is a luxury.In US one has more opportunities to get out of poverty unlike india where one needs Big money to take any step towards better life.There's no welfare system in India,it's all about beg or die hungry like a dog.

Again, a statement from somebody who doesnt know the first thing about India or America. Who says in India one needs "Big Money" to take any step forwards ? Even the prime minister of India, a graduate of Cambridge is from a background you would classify as "poor". He runs the country of 1 billion people. If there are so many opportunities in the US, how come more than a million Americans have lost their job this year ?
A welfare system is a failed system as demonstrated in America, Europe and everywhere it has been implemented. Moreover a welfare system for 1billion people is ridiculous and absurd. The level of expenditure and resources required for that is not even possible if the Entire EU and America were to fund and manage it themselves. Also, there is a welfare system in place in India, thought not in the sense of handing out doles to every bum on the street.
The Indian government has free medical hospitals through out the nation, more hospitals in fact than there are in all of UK. They also have a work program that hires people for manual labor and place anywhere between 100-300 million to work.

UK is poor??
I live in UK and seeing a beggar is kinda rare.The beggars i see also seem to enjoy what they do by playing their little guitars with their little dogs next to them.I think they take it as a profession.

Believe it or not yes it does look that way for us Americans when we have to stop over in London. Dingy streets, cobbled roads, old dilapidated buildings and the filthy environs do seem to add to a sense of destitution in London. Especially for those of us living in big cities like New York in America.
Now it may not be on the same level as India but compared to the US, the UK is definitely poor and looks it as well.
I'd suggest snapping out of your delusion of grandeur and clean your own house out first.

What a loda bull,If UK doesn't wana make itself look like NY,doesn't mean it's bloody poor!You say you know better about UK? How though? you live in UK and US both at the same time? Get off your sofa and get real.

The prime minister of india came from a middle class background,hes never lived in card board boxes or survived by selling flowers at traffic lights.

So essentially all you have said is false and is a warped perspective of some neo-colonialist condescending on a way of life he knows little about.

Warped perspective?
I am not the one who thinks US/Israel own the world

Eat donut, Vote mccain!

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by sentinel2107
The orbital maneuvers at the third orbital raise to 64,600 km at apogee seems to be at odds with what is specified in the brochure on ISRO website, wherein it should have been sent to 387,000 km. Guess they have added another substep, probably reacting in real time to the orbital data being received.

Well see I told you I have a problem with these orbits... The average centre-to-centre distance from the Earth to the Moon is 384,403 km. so if they raised the orbit to 387,000 km that would put them past the moon by a few thousand kilometers

As I said the math is not making sense here. How long would it take the craft to orbit the Earth at 387,000 km?

Am I the only one who is confused
Each successive boost takes more time to complete an orbit than the previous one as it is much further to travel... unless they are increasing the speed exponentially.

EDIT TO ADD

Okay from your link...

The apogee (farthest point to Earth) of this orbit lies at 164,600 km(not 64,600) while the perigee (nearest point to Earth) is at 348 km. In this orbit, Chandrayaan-1 takes about 73 hours to go round the Earth once.

So it is now in an orbit almost halfway to the moon and it completes this orbit in 72 hours?

www.isro.gov.in...

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 10:56 PM
link   
The country is bloody starving mate! These lads are pouring money into a space programme while their streets are fly infested, waters polluted, people dying and unemployed, and economy suffering? Get a damn grip on yourselves, what kind of government is this!?

[edit on 26-10-2008 by TornPages]

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 11:22 PM
link   
I like that there is an international interest in going to the Moon and in space. I believe that this is going to be the first steps into a controlled space race. As noted, NASA does have a hand in this mission and will be conducting experiments on this probe. (Caution Conspiracy Theorist at work) Who know what NASA has been able to do to this probe in order to control information flow to India and possible leaks to the public. I hope for the future for private trips to the moon and we can find absolute truth about what really is there.

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by TornPages

Get a damn grip on yourselves, what kind of government is this!?

You should be thankful India's government isn't communist.

Nonetheless they are doing their darndest to ensure India stays competitive in the information age - Space allows you to do that. Nationally owned Satellites are must for a Nation the size of India, in order for it to enhance it's potential on the world market.

This is a good thing.

Soon India will be launching payloads into orbit for other nations, and will be paid well for it.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

The orbital maneuvers at the third orbital raise to 64,600 km at apogee seems to be at odds with what is specified in the brochure on ISRO website, wherein it should have been sent to 387,000 km. Guess they have added another substep, probably reacting in real time to the orbital data being received.

Well see I told you I have a problem with these orbits... The average centre-to-centre distance from the Earth to the Moon is 384,403 km. so if they raised the orbit to 387,000 km that would put them past the moon by a few thousand kilometers

As I said the math is not making sense here. How long would it take the craft to orbit the Earth at 387,000 km?

Am I the only one who is confused
Each successive boost takes more time to complete an orbit than the previous one as it is much further to travel... unless they are increasing the speed exponentially.

EDIT TO ADD

Okay from your link...

The apogee (farthest point to Earth) of this orbit lies at 164,600 km(not 64,600) while the perigee (nearest point to Earth) is at 348 km. In this orbit, Chandrayaan-1 takes about 73 hours to go round the Earth once.

So it is now in an orbit almost halfway to the moon and it completes this orbit in 72 hours?

www.isro.gov.in...

Wow, that was a serious typo by me -- 64,600 km instead of 164,600 km

According to the brochure, the 300x387,000 km orbit is supposed to be changed to 2000x384,000 km orbit in the next maneuver.

[edit on 27/10/2008 by sentinel2107]

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by TornPages
The country is bloody starving mate! These lads are pouring money into a space programme while their streets are fly infested, waters polluted, people dying and unemployed, and economy suffering? Get a damn grip on yourselves, what kind of government is this!?

[edit on 26-10-2008 by TornPages]

This is a kind of country where a number of foreigners (Americans/Europeans etc), after being depressed mentally and emotionally by the kind of materialistic system which prevails in the West, come to seek solace in by joining movements like the ISKCON or by involving themselves in social activities

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 12:44 AM
link   

According to the brochure, the 300x387,000 km orbit is supposed to be changed to 2000x384,000 km orbit in the next maneuver.

So they are going to do one orbit that is beyond the Moon then come back to Earth and shorten the loop?

Something is very odd here... No other ship has ever done this and the transit times make no sense

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join