It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "N" word---does and don't's...?????

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 09:22 PM
link   
It's becase it something black people have unto them selves alone.

I'll try to explain, Way back when the white man called the black man a N*****. It wasnt becuase he liked him, or it was his funny nickname for him.

It was beause he was being detremental(To say the least), and treating the black man as sub human.

Now as the years rolled' by it became slag, it's ok for a black man to call another a N***** because there both N******

A black man once said "N***** is our thing now, and the white man deret say it"

Side note:

It also became fashionable to where baggy jeans with your under Crakures showing, because when a N****** got arested they took his belt, so it became common for N****** not to where a belt ( One less thing the white man/police can take off you) so that made your jeans hang lower,and your boxers more visible.........The jeans down to your knees and boxers up to your neck just evolved.

Apoloigys for excessive use of the N word/verb/noune....

[edit on 21-10-2008 by N.B.A.Y.S.O.H]

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by N.B.A.Y.S.O.H
It's becase it something black people have unto them selves alone.

OH PLEASE! Get over yourself. It is not something BlaCK Folk have all unto themselves and when they dared me to say it in lock down you better believe not only DID I but not jack happened. .....

Its all about who you are and how you carry yourself I suppose.

Here in Texas we don't have problem with who owns what words and/or styles. Mexicans don't own a damn thing a white man don't own. Maybe it has to do with the story of the Alamo. Everyone is taught to respect every side because every color died on both sides. It aint a color thing.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by titorite
And when remarks are made in a derogatory manner its not cool but one does not need to bring up race to be insulting.

Agreed, obviously there are many ways to be insulting and in my book none of them are okay or consistent with good manners.

I'm not suggesting passing laws against words and groups of people. I just thinks it's a no brainer that a Caucasian person should not direct that word towards black people.

If people still don't "get it", additional words won't help.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by titorite

When they dared me to say it in lock down you better believe not only DID I but not jack happened. .....

I think you just showed the world your a racist. I dere you to put your head in the oven.....didnt think you would.

I think i explained something about the N word and how it evolved without getting to deep or subjective.

You, im afraid, only showed ignorance and raceism.

Just for the record im not black, and nor am i raceist.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 09:59 PM
link   
LOL

are you people actually having this conversation?

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by titorite
And I still think that if ATS is gonna censor one racial slur that the you all should unilaterally censor all racial slurs.

I would guess, though I don't know, that the auto-censor is an off-the-rack package that censors words that are commonly sought out by filtering software. It may simply not be worth the time and energy to add words to them.

I'm sure that if you reported someone for other offensive language a moderator could *snip* the word from the post. Or, if the whole post is offensive, just remove it. So why add the words to the censoring software?

Plus, this way I can tell stories about my dad and his coonskin cap without being censored, or recommend that saltine crackers are good for morning sickness.

And I definitely agree with KingLizard that when a group of people coopts a slur word to refer to themselves it begins to drain power from that word. But as with most linguistic change, it's a process not an immediate transformation.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by N.B.A.Y.S.O.H

Again I think our up-bringings are different. You think I am ignorant and racist yet you are the one talking about racial ownership of words and styles.

Do you think only mexicans can drive low-riders?

Do you think only asians eat sushi?

Get real. Get over yourself. This NWO is a multi-cultural melting pot and in the end were all gonna be one color anyways because the average horny 17 year old male has no racial preference. Most of the time the pimple face just wants to get laid.

I am not a racist because some kinfolk dared me to say 'n-word' to their face when we had this conversion. I'm clean because I can say it without the intonment of hate that you seem to have me with out knowing my own skin color....

[edit on 21-10-2008 by titorite]

[edit on 21-10-2008 by titorite]

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 10:21 PM
link   

I think the video below shows who has the "rights" to the N word, because you could not name one white or person of any other colour that could get away with what is being said but a black man or woman.

WARNING: Conatins exsive use of the N word and other profanity, but had me laughing out loud.

Google Video Link

Here is a link to video if above dosent work..............kick back,relax,get some popcorn its funny

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Nice to know all black people are in agreement that the use of the N word is empowering.

Someone needs to tell these guys that. Apparently, they missed the memo.

nativeson.wordpress.com...

www.ugpulse.com...

I believe the problem is that black Americans are still trying to deal with the past in so many ways, and one of the popular options today is trying to take this negative word and embrace it and change it into a word that will display unity in our race.

I find this option to be a form of self-degradation and self-humiliation. To take a word that has led so many black Americans, blacks in Africa and in the Diaspora to be burned and killed, to be spit and urinated upon, to destroy their owns homes, and dragged to prison and sentenced to death for crimes they didnt commit to be embraced is truly outrageous.

Apparently, despite Kinglizard's all knowing statement to the contrary everyone else in the world does NOT understand why taking an insulting word and applying it to yourself is a cool thing to do or empowering in anyway.

I would be as highly offended if someone of my ethnicity called me a racial slur as someone of another ethnicity. And, I am not alone in that. Racial, ethnic and sexist slurs are not empowering no matter who uses them.

admin edit: we don't allow the quoting of epithets here.

[edit on 10-22-2008 by Springer]

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

Ok ok , Everything YOU have said has made the most ethical sense so far. At least in my opinion.

Anyways because of this I wanna know if it is still cool to use sex, race, age, Hair Color or anything else in off color humor amongst friends...

Because I read this really REALLY horrible off color joke about Pizzas and jews and I am sure it is not appropriate for here... But DANG it was funny....So yeah is it cool to make light of our insecurities, what ever they may be?

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 10:48 PM
link   

I dont think comedy should have rules or boundries .......If its funny then so what its just a joke.

Theres a joke called "The Aristocrats" That comedians have used for centrys, to fine tune there art .The aim of the joke is tell it, in the rudest,most offence,bad taste way you can...but the punch line is always the same..."The Aristocrates"

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 10:59 PM
link   

I think the only sensible thing to do is for each person to take complete responsibility for their own actions, and use their own judgment. I do not think a hard and fast rule could possibly be made.

A Jewish friend (and roommate at the time) of mine came home infuriated once because while she was out shopping someone said that someone else had "Jewed" them in a deal. She went off on them and came home ranting about it. I asked her if the word gypped would have been better. She said sure, anything that wasnt racist. I then explained where that word came from. (Hint: Gypsies) and she got it.

Some people use words and they are so pervasive in a culture that they have no idea what the origin of the word even is, or that it was ever a slur or an insult. I think we all should try to look at things on a case by case basis. Evaluate individual people, and individual uses of words individually, rather than use the easy but oh so flawed time honored method of "classing" people into one homogeneous lump and pretending we can judge them that way.

I dont think any group of people is allowed to use any particular word and another not. I think individual people should look at individual people and make the decision whether it is worth it to risk hurting someone deeply by flinging a word or term around. I think we will all someday use a term or a phrase that hurts another, since we do not know by looking at someone what their life experience was. When we do, a sincere and heartfelt apology is merited, and we learn and go on.

My "parents" the people who raised me, are not the same skin color as I. I have had more than a few people tell jokes that I found offensive because they assumed I was the same color they were and would find it funny. I dont lose it and freak out. I just tell them they shouldnt assume anything based on the color of my skin. Thats the lesson we all should be learning from racism.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Thank you for that tit bit about gypped. I never knew that. It fascinates me how these slag words are started, and how comes some have stuck around for centrys.

Here in the UK there is a "new" word that came into the main stream a few years back,

"Chav"

Chav now sterotypes a whole "class" of socity, and it to came from gypsys. Chav to a gypsy means kid.............but now it represents the "underclass."

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 11:48 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Roland Deschain
LOL

are you people actually having this conversation?

What do you mean "you people".... :shk::shk::

j/k

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by ohioriver
I can't believe this thread has not been jumped on.I have an answer but u ain't gonna like it. Our society/gov/PTB have generated an us(whites) vs them(blacks) culture.It is used successfully throughout the world with varying races.Imagine what would happen if it became us(all of us) vs them(gov/PTB).

Thanks for all your opinions. You guys are amazing. But I think this is the closest thing to the truth right here. Ohioriver has the right of it. All of US vs THEM. Think about it. WE ARE the slaves. THEY are the MASSAS'.

When Illusionsaregrander related the story of the Jewish room mate going off after hearing someone say "jewed" as opposed to a non-racist term like "gypped", this another excellent example of "word ownership" by a certain ethnic group. Why does this make me think of money ownership by a certain group? Is this a valid parallel or am I reaching?

I said this in the OP and I stand by it... "united we stand, divided we fall"

What a great way for THEM to fractionalize US!!!

I don't even know how to ask if any of you who responded are black? That seems so racist to me! Even to type it!!! WHY???? I want to hear it from the "inside".

Kinglizard says They take the power from the word by using it themselves...and no a Caucasian person should NOT use the term

I think this is a mindf%#& OF THE HIGHEST ORDER. It's what THEY WANT US TO DO!! Police OURSELVES AND EACH OTHER!!!

I was watching a video some time ago about Sherry Peel Jackson. She is a former IRS auditor and is now in jail because she chose to buck the system. She is a very intelligent, very articulate black woman and she made this very statement in the context of an INCOME TAX (ie: Where is THE law that says taxation is lawful) seminar. She was speaking to a small mixed audience and you could hear a pin drop after she said it.

Mind control is very insidious.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Star to you for this gem!
Someone needs to tell these guys that. Apparently, they missed the memo.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 08:13 AM
link   
*Fox opens door and walks in*

"Oh hey, what are you guys talking about?"

"Oh...your all talking about "that kinda thing"."

*Raises both hands in front of himself in a non-threatening way...and

steps quietly and slowly backwards for the door.*

*Slams door and runs.*

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 08:19 AM
link   
reply to post by ThatDGgirl

If you read my first post i think it will give you an insight as to why the black man says N***** so much and what it means to him.

Watch the video i posted Katt Williams even talks about it.

Its the whole gheto mentality that has evolved, i have asked a number of black friends about N*****.

And almost all now say "Its our thing now, N**** and no white man dere say it to my face" But this is at street level, im sure academics can ponder and disscuss this much better?

I hate the word personly but maybe thats because im not allowed to say it? or is it because when i hear it i think of slavery and it disgusts me!

[edit on 22-10-2008 by N.B.A.Y.S.O.H]

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by N.B.A.Y.S.O.H
reply to post by ThatDGgirl

If you read my first post i think it will give you an insight as to why the black man says N***** so much and what it means to him.

Watch the video i posted Katt Williams even talks about it.

Its the whole gheto mentality that has evolved, i have asked a number of black friends about N*****.

And almost all now say "Its our thing now, N**** and no white man dere say it to my face" But this is at street level, im sure academics can ponder and disscuss this much better?

I hate the word personly but maybe thats because im not allowed to say it? or is it because when i hear it i think of slavery and it disgusts me!

[edit on 22-10-2008 by N.B.A.Y.S.O.H]

I did read your first post, and I can see the justification, but I still think we're laboring under "someone else's" rules and we're trying to justify it as best we can (at street level) . I will watch the video, just don't have time this morning.

And I hate the word as much as you do. It does not exist in my vocabulary.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join