It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "N" word---does and don't's...?????

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 07:14 PM
link   
I am starting this thread in genuine perplexity. I am NOT a racist or a bigot. I would absolutely LOVE to ask this question face to face! I am a white woman, age 47, and I STILL don't know why it's ok for folks of color to call each other affectionately(?????) by this particular epithet, but white folks cannot use this word?!?!?

PLEASE, NO FLAMING!! I am asking this question from my heart. It seems that the old saying of "united we stand, divided we fall" holds true here.

I'm looking for wisdom from ALL colors!! Please help me "get it"!!!

And PLEASE notice I have not used THE word!!! (Because political correctness says I can't!)

Moderators: I am not being fascetious. I am genuinely wondering why both sides support this barrier to unity.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 07:19 PM
link   
What naggers? Anyone can say naggers. Whats wrong with a nagger?

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 07:31 PM
link   
LOL love to here the answer to this qustion!

The Rule Of The Jungle has no Political Correctness !

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 07:32 PM
link   
The LA Times called Barack "The Magic Negro" would Negro be more acceptable?

www.latimes.com...

The Magic Negro is a figure of postmodern folk culture, coined by snarky 20th century sociologists, to explain a cultural figure who emerged in the wake of Brown vs. Board of Education. "He has no past, he simply appears one day to help the white protagonist,"

Or we can do what the NAACP does and call them "Colored People"

The only thing I object to is "African American" because what happens to a white person from Africa immigrating to America? Do we call them African Americans also?

As far as the "N" word, do what I do, wait for a colored person to say it to another one...look amazed and ask the person "Did you just call him a n-word?" Ask him 2 or 3 times and see what reaction you get.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 07:39 PM
link   
I can't believe this thread has not been jumped on.I have an answer but u ain't gonna like it. Our society/gov/PTB have generated an us(whites) vs them(blacks) culture.It is used successfully throughout the world with varying races.Imagine what would happen if it became us(all of us) vs them(gov/PTB).

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by ThatDGgirl

I have often wondered this myself. I am gay and it is funny how all my gay friends call each other every derogatory name you can think of for a gay person but yet when a "Breeder" says those same words they go into a frenzy.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 07:41 PM
link   
I honestly don't have the answer for you. All I can offer is my own reasons for not saying the word.
Regardless of the uses of the word in question today, the history of it rings loud. The word is a foul word capable of stirring emotions from those that still remember it's original intended use. I would venture to say that those who use this word now are doing so because they lack the intelligence to use something different. I have heard it spoken many times and have asked the same thing you are asking now. The reply that I always (without exception) get is, "This is our word." Typically I would say that those that use the word feel that such a derogatory term has been overthrown by them and now they are in control of it's use and meaning. to me though, it makes them sound unintelligent, even if they are. The psychological ramifications of such a word are also no different than stirring emotions about a horrific tragedy. It's continued use, desensitizes those exposed to it, thus making it feel ok. In actuality it's not ok. It is a horrible word with an atrocious history. Then again, the people using the word may not care about themselves enough to abolish it's use and come up with some other derivative terminology to better describe their particular emotion.
special note:
This term has by the way crossed it's intended racial barrier and made it's way into the linguistics of many a "minority", thus further diluting it's already convoluted origins.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Personally, I dont think the N-word is ok for anyone unless it is ok for everyone.

I dont see why it is "claiming the word" or whatever to use for yourself something that was used as an insult. I likewise do not understand the one time feminist embracing of the word "bitch." (rhymes with witch in case the filter alters it.) I grew up in a place where I had to listen to racial slurs, and the last thing I would do is call myself any of them. It is beyond me how that is logical.

An insult is an insult. Use them at your own risk. However banning a class or group of people from the use of a particular word, any word, is racism itself.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by ThatDGgirl

en.wikipedia.org...

seems simple enough to me.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 07:45 PM
link   
It is just social conditioning on us.

Do you ever laugh at the word cillit bang?

No because we are socially taught that it is acceptable for a cleaning product to be named something absolutely outlandish, if you look around your local supermarket you'll be amazed to see all the brand names we just accept now. This effect works in both directions, what you will and will not accept.

I'm not sure what caused the N-word to be phased out then be phased back in again but for only one cultural group to use when referring to others but I'm sure it is not acceptable throughout that group.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by RRconservative

I agree if you were born in America you cannot be an African-American.One or the other but not both. Example: Asian American -correct, Chinese American =wrong. No such country. You are either American or Chinese, can't be both.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 07:57 PM
link   
They take the power from the word by using it themselves...and no a Caucasian person should NOT use the term....they used it long enough don't you think? This isn't rocket science folks....

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 08:00 PM
link   
My darker skinned coworkers call each other this, with out the "er" but an "a" insted. They call me this and other lighter skined people as well at times. When ever I'm adressed this way, I call them a cracka. They get caught off guard and laugh. Some even respond, "Do I look white to you"? lol :bnghd:
I think it's a part of their general vocab, like how I like to say "F'en" a lot.
I dunno really.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Sorry I just disagree. How does using a word yourself take the power out of a word? If it did, then by now ALL the power should be out of the word and we could all use it safely. The Gods know it has been used often enough it should be powerless right now, but instead, it seems to be even more inflammatory than ever IF used by the wrong group.

Ignorance is ignorance. Regardless who is using it.

Double standards need to go. Period. They should not be used against a historically oppressed group, nor does it make it "right" to use them against a new group. Otherwise we are just shifting the ability to use double standards from one group to the other and never actually addressing the problem of discriminating against groups.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinglizard
They take the power from the word by using it themselves...and no a Caucasian person should NOT use the term....they used it long enough don't you think? This isn't rocket science folks....

OK so it is your argument that only black folk should be allowed to say 'n-word' because it empowers them. and that it is inappropriate for a white person to say 'n-word' because when we do it robs them of their power?

Do I have that right?

I ask because I have been locked up in the C.C.C. of Lousyanny and me and the Kinfolk already had this talk. What we came to was that our speech was free the day our soul descended and that while we may say whatever we like to whomever we want we'd best be sure we are ready to deal with what was said... And I did.

But this yogi is smarter than the average bear.

CENSORSHIP EDIT NOTATION

Oh wow... I had no idea ATS censored the "N-word" ...hows that for empowering. In this spirit I nominate these other words for censorship,

Jiggaboo, darky, porch monkey, honkey, cracker, towel head, rag head, chia pet head, flat head, hot head, mic, spic, kike, heb, frogs, wops, digeos, poles, wigger, or many other colorful things from here

I mean seriously how can one have an adult discussion if we are gonna get shy about adult words? God forbid a discussion about the medical conspiracies of same sex sexually transmitted diseases were to ever come up. I have no idea how we would be able to talk about it with out hiding our snickering...

Grow, deny ignorance, live in liberty not political correctness.

[edit on 21-10-2008 by titorite]

[edit on 21-10-2008 by titorite]

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

Yeah it is shocking that a term of oppression, bigotry and hatred used over the last 400 years would be considered offensive to them.

All YOU should worry about is the person you are addressing and their feeling towards the word you use to lable them. If it's offensive to them...don't use it....end of story...

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by titorite
OK so it is your argument that only black folk should be allowed to say 'n-word' because it empowers them.

No, it is my position that if a person finds offensive a term used to describe them you don't use it.

This is kindergarten manners folks...

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Actually Kinglizard, your little rolling of eyes is unwarranted.

I absolutely DO understand why the word is offensive to them. I have had to deal with racial slurs myself and I dont give a rats tail end how many hundreds of years it has or has not been used. Each individual can only experience their own lifetime, and regardless how long a word has been used as an insult, an individual who has to grow up as a minority in a society and be subjected to a concerted and prolonged verbal abuse suffers for it.

What I do NOT understand, is why some, including, apparently, you, think that further discrimination by making a word "Ok" for some to use but not others will in any way help matters.

It is utter rubbish that calling yourself a name takes the power out of the word. If it did, and this should be simple, then the word should lose its power to harm you. If this is not the case, and you can test this by walking into a group and slinging the word at them yourself, then continual use of the word is NOT "de-powering it" it has become nothing more than an excuse for one group to discriminate against another in a slightly different fashion.

I am surprised you are unable to understand so simple an argument.

I would not want to see the names I was called "banned" for use by the ethnic group who used it against me but continue to use it myself. I would prefer that we all grow the hell up and not feel the need to use racial or sexist insults. But failing that, I will deal with or ignore as I see fit, any offenders as they arise.

Like I said earlier, insults are insults, use them at your own risk. But discrimination against entire groups is wrong, no matter who does it.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illusionsaregrander
Actually Kinglizard, your little rolling of eyes is unwarranted.

Did you find it to be unwarranted or insulting? Your argument supports that I should continue using it.

I absolutely DO understand why the word is offensive to them.

Then it should be easy to understand why you shouldn't use the term.

I have had to deal with racial slurs myself and I dont give a rats tail end how many hundreds of years it has or has not been used.

If you speak with a black friend and they ask you to refer to them as an N-word please feel free to do as he asks, otherwise don't use it...Back to simple manners.

What I do NOT understand, is why some, including, apparently, you, think that further discrimination by making a word "Ok" for some to use but not others will in any way help matters.

I don't consider manners a form of discrimination. You see racial slurs are a form of oppression and hatred. Being kind and respecting the wishes of others is again, basic manners.

It is utter rubbish that calling yourself a name takes the power out of the word.

I and the rest of the world disagree.

I am surprised you are unable to understand so simple an argument.

Yeah, I'm kinda slow.

I would not want to see the names I was called "banned" for use by the ethnic group who used it against me but continue to use it myself.

No words are banned as far as I know. Just try to respect others....again this isn't rocket science....

[edit on 10/21/2008 by kinglizard]

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinglizard

No words are banned as far as I know. Just try to respect others....again this isn't rocket science....

[edit on 10/21/2008 by kinglizard]

The N word is auto banned. If you type it out is is automatically replaced with the "N-word" And hey thats fine this is not my site. But I assure you if I wanted to act in an ignorant manner I am imaginative enough to think of coon.

I guess growing up in my area things are different in regards to race and what is acceptable... In humor anything is acceptable. And when remarks are made in a derogatory manner its not cool but one does not need to bring up race to be insulting. Anyone can be insulting in a variety of fashions, just because they bring up race into the nasty conversation doesn't really change the bad manners of insulting folks without due cause.

Oh yes for demographic records Mexican make up the majority were I live.

And I still think that if ATS is gonna censor one racial slur that the you all should unilaterally censor all racial slurs.

Ali G does not like being called a wigger!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join