It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Warship sunk in Cornish bay

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2004 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Old news but thought u may like to know:

A decommissioned warship is to be sunk off the coast of Cornwall to create Europe's first arteficial diving reef.

The former Royal Navy frigate, which weighs 2,500 tons, will be scuttled in Witsand Bay near Plymouth on saturday using a series of explosions.

Thousands of people are expected to line nearby cliffs to watch as HMS Scylla takes a few minutes to sink.

It is estimated the new tourist attraction will generate an extra �1 million a year for the local economy.

Old news story

And since this has already happened 2day and it has probably been already posted...here is a link to some of the photos taken at the site.

Photos

cheers
gryff

TPL

posted on Mar, 27 2004 @ 05:15 PM
link   
So it live on Sky News- an hour late and a bit of an anti-climax.

posted on Mar, 27 2004 @ 05:17 PM
link   
This occured about 20 miles down the coast from me. I also SCUBA dive.

Thing is, I reckon this is worth far more as a reef than it is as a dive attraction. They have absolutely stripped this ship. I can't think of a more boring dive. The cabins don't have anything in them, everything that could snag a diver has been removed and because of environmental worries everything else has been removed. It would literally be like diving on a tin box.

I don't exactly see how they can reconcile it being a reef and a dive attraction either. Divers down here are notoriously bad when it comes to conservation. If they haven't got their bouyancy right they're going to come down on any new, growing organisms and damage them.

Still, it's better than scrapping the bugger, as some silly sods will dive it and put money into our economy.

join